Cultivated Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

Here is another pic

Nano13.jpg

What is the ideal description of what should be happening at the top of the cup?

I can see how this little gadget can be so frustrating. I mean, the little slots that you should have lined up with the water level are like 1/2 inch tall.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shao-lin nano

Having a constant water level will keep the skimmer more consistant but if the skimmer sucks there's not much you can do about it even with good water level.

If you block off the little hole between chamber 2 & 3 you can keep water level in chambers 1 & 2 constant with evap only in chamber 3.

You have nice zoos Spasticat.

reefernanoman

Why are we still wasting time with this useless crap? DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK!!!!!

Just do your weekly water changes on your nano and problem solved.

Man I miss my $30+ bucks!

I took mine out a couple of weeks ago and threw it in the box of cast-off equipment. I tried for several weeks to get it to work. I'd have the water level where it should be in the morning then come home at night and it would be different. Also, it was very awkward changing the cup. The suction cups on the thing don't hold very well and I would lose what little skimmate I ever got trying to change it. I use the term skimmate loosely, too, because it never looked like skimmate should.

For a while, just to see how it would work, I tried running it in the main tank, near the front with the door up. It never performed any better there.

So, too much trouble for too little result is what I found. :(

Adjusting the level of the skimmer is ultimately an exercise in futility, because once the filter media/ foam rings get clogged with crap, the "vortex" just becomes a fountain, spewing water over the top of the collection cup.

I agree with dcabboa, having to adjust the skimmer on a daily basis / changing out the filter rings is more trouble than it is worth.

Garbage, it's absolute garbage. I can't seem to get the water level exact so it won't work right for me. Tons and tons of bubbles that after weeks still seem to be running into the tank. Going to stick with the 10% water change until something better comes along.

I'm looking at the Tunze Internal Nano Skimmer now, but I'm a little weary of any skimmer for these small systems.

i'm getting rid of mine, for FREE if anyone in NYC wants it, i'm not shipping so local pick up only!

The skimmer blows nuts. I have one and i used it to just test it. A whole waste of 16 bucks..

The pump that came with it works great for mixing waterchange water :lol:

By the way I tinkered with it for all of 5 minutes before coming to the conclusion that it was junk...

Yep, I chucked it.

I ripped out the tubing and kept the powerhead!

nano-top.jpg

On to the next great investment -- Ocean pods!

hey, i have the 12g aquapod and just got this skimmer yesterday and so far its ALRITE. i could get it to fit in the second chamber good cuz its at an angle rite now. it fits in the third chamber and i had it there for a while but a lot of micro bubbles kept getting in the tank and there was no room for a foam pad. so i left it in the second chamber slanted. will this affect the skimmer? i was think of putting it in the first chamber cuz its the same size as the third but wont the pump get cloged up with all the stuff in the tank that usually gets taken out by the sponge? do any of u guys have the same problem as me? wat chamber is urs in and is ur tank a aquapod?

I have to say I am happy with the skimmer so far. I installed it in the AC 110 fuge on the back of my 10 gallon nano and am getting skimmate-a little wet but still skimmate. The $30 Canadian was well worth it. I controlled the bubbles by putting floss between the skimmer and the flow back into the tank.

d4812f8f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
NanoCube-boy

I decide to try out the stupid skimmer and see if it works with me. HAHA let's see if its a real under-water bubble making machine. HAHA

Good luck w/it.

I was able to keep the bubbles down and produce a moderately good skimmate with mine. Maybe you don't have to fiddle with to keep it working it as much as I did.

NanoCube-boy

I agree Mr. Fosi. Just keep trying to work with the stupid skimmer and maybe see if it works. Though a skimmer a small easy install skimmer should be easy to USE not taking valuable time trying figure out what setting should be done.

I know for my PRISM skimmer, it took me 2 weeks, maybe about ten minutes a day trying to figure out the right regulation for the airflow. And it I got the right skimmate without out too much air bubble.

I took the floss out of the skimmer because I think it's became a nitrate factor.

Mine is out of the tank after a week of jacking around with it.

What seems really insane is how it fizzed all over creating its own version of salt creep all over thhe whole back quarter of my tank.

There has to be a better way. I hear that there may be a Nano Remora in the works. I hope so. or maybe water changes are enough.

NanoCube-boy
Here is another pic

Nano13.jpg

What is the ideal description of what should be happening at the top of the cup?

I can see how this little gadget can be so frustrating. I mean, the little slots that you should have lined up with the water level are like 1/2 inch tall.

Hey, are those bubble doesn't bother you? I try setting my fission like that but it's too much darn bubbles.

Yep, I chucked it.

I ripped out the tubing and kept the powerhead!

nano-top.jpg

On to the next great investment -- Ocean pods!

Hey, is that a new or old picture? What happened to your nice green torch? Where'd you get it by the way? - or is that a plate?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The quality and efficiency of a skimmer is based on it's skimate. And based on what I have seen on this thread doesn't constitute this little skimmer as being high quality.

However, having said that, it all depends on the inorganics residing in the tank, most nano cube owners do religious water changes once a week, skewing the performance of this skimmer.

In comparison with other skimmers in it's class, I have seen much higher concentration of skimate pulled out of a nano with the use of the Berlin Airlift 60 with a good air pump.

JMO,

Mike G

Archived