Innovative Marine Aquariums

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

Here is an update on my tank; I took several pictures at a distance and then close ups. I feel I'm starting to get maturity with my purple coraline.

Mike G.

jgpel5.jpg

jgpfzr.jpg

jgpetv.jpg

jgphd2.jpg

jgphko.jpg

jgphqp.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Travis,

Thanks for the support on my tank. My younger brother gave them to me because they out grew his 12 gallon cube. I love them, they have a lot of personality.

They really make my tank stand out with there dark colors. I almost lost them when I transported them up from Orange County to SF bay area.

I'm sorry you lost yours as I know the agony of losing somthing special such as them.

Do you still have your pico running? I have restarted one, you can see the beginning under Red Sea pico on this site.

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Cool Travis,

I will be tunned into that transformation, can't wait....

Snoop,

Since you love blatos here is a super macro of mine...

jgql50.jpg

Sick Blastos Mike!!! How big are the polyps?

I'm thinking about running a deltec skimmer on my next tank (probebly system total of around 120 gallons). Do you think you are pushing the limits on the AP600 or do think that it could handle more volume (mind you that i probebly wont stock quite as heavily as you). Thanks

Alex

yeah, i know the site snoop but thanks.

I was reading on RC and for 100-150 gallons, despite the mfg. recommendations, most said that the AP600 wouldnt be enough. A skimmer with an 8" body would be better but that means spending about $1000 vs. like $500 which would be way out of my price range (as it is the AP600 would be way pushing it).

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Alex,

Since my volume is only 72 gallons plus my sump volume I am under rated if I stocked lightly.

Since I stocked heavily I believe I'm okay; I knew that the AP 600 would comfortably carry me far for my size tank and my demands.

According to the manufactures instructions the AP 600 tops off with an aquarium of 125 gallons stocked lightly.

So maybe go with a smaller size reef and you'll be okay, as it is my AP-600 started really strong pulling out all my impurities within 2 days it would be full; now that its been running for such a long time it takes weeks for it to fill up completely.

It's because my tank is now mature and running adequately; say I shut down my skimmer for 1 week and restart it, it will fill up in just one day.

It's one of the best skimmers on the market and made of steel in my opinion; as a matter of fact my entire filtration is based on the Deltec line.

Mike

p.s

the polyps are rather large when they extend out to feed; for my blasto.

Edited by mikeguerrero
  • 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

My largest SPS croaked about 1 week ago, the polyps started to recede and then it just ran through RTN.

I tried to frag it but it was too late, it was my most largest SPS and I did find high levels of nitrate, 25 ppm.

I've since did about 40 gallons of water changes in 6 days time; all other corals are doing great and I'm keeping an eye on my other SPS corals.

I will post my nitrates later on tonight...

Mike G

I must say Mike, the tank looks awesome. You have also done a great job documenting it.

I just finished reading all eleven pages of it and I'm sure it will be of great help to many people.

Now to just get this college thing over with so I can get a setup like that going of my own.

Chris

Edited by Seldon
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Thanks Chris,

I'm glad my documentation has peeked some of your interest; I just posted my nitrates tonight and they read 10 ppm.

I have managed to bring them down by 15 ppm since last thursday with constant water changes every other day.

I hope to get them to 0 ppm so my macros can take over.

Mike G

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here is the edition of my baby blue carpet Haddoni anemone, he's only 2.5 inches across... He's located on the bottom of the tank to the left just below a small torch frag... I managed to get a pic of my blue tang staring at the camera as I snapped a quick pic of the carpet...

Mike G

mt3xx1.jpg

mt3y3l.jpg

mt3xj9.jpg

mt3yfm.jpg

Edited by mikeguerrero
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Shao,

The blasto has grown like crazy since I first purchased it back when I owned the 12 gallon cube.

It almost died on me during the transfer but some how came back to life and has become my healthiest specimen in the tank, showing off new heads.

Samoyed,

Yes the transluced body and green tips are in fact a frag torch that was in my pico originaly and when I added it to my 72 it changed colors and became very clear but kept the green tips.

Reefgeek,

If I could do it over I would've researched how to get more room in the cabinet because I ran out of room. Bowfront are nice but they are very hard to find correct lighting for them.

Mike G