Coral Vue Hydros

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Update on my ich...

I have made it to week 5 since ich became an epidemic in my tank; today it is all gone!!! Yes all gone!!!

All my tangs made it, when they were covered in ich, ready to die, yes die...

The only thing I lost was a cleaner goby that I purchased already sick from PetCo plus I hadn't connected the UV unit...

To all those none believers in UV units, I made a nice trial run with it and within 5 weeks I eliminated the bastards and run a clean reef once more...

Now I wait for the healing process for some of my tangs, they have battle wounds from the massive amounts of ich that attacked them...

Had I not purchased the UV unit, my fish should all be dead; how do I know that???

Well in the past I ran my cubes with zero meds, just the reef safe ones, and within two weeks all my fish had succumbed to the ich parasites...

UV units are wonderful pieces of equipment, easy to install and very safe; no controllers necessary....

MG

Edited by mikeguerrero

that is good news, Mike, but the one thing about UV units is that they are indiscriminate in what they kill. While they will kill (some) free floating parasites and harmful bacteria, they will also irridicate good bacterias and pods in your water.

just something to think about. I'm glad you didnt loose any fish, but IMO your tank is way overstocked, regaurdless of the filtration you have on it. The size of your tank just isnt adequate room for most of those tangs. Tangs have HUGE home ranges in the wild and really need a lot of room to move around - Though i am not the tang police and if they make you happy, then so be it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

cool tank we have very similar setups i have been thinking of getting a reefkeeper 2

how do you like urs?

i need to take a new snap shot

here is a picture of mine at 2 days (actually 2 days of inhabitants)

72bow.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

My 72 gallon reef wouldn't be complete without the ReefKeeper 2. So I took the plunge during the free shipping that DA offered and got both the RK2 and the PH probe...

Since DA worked hard on keeping the controller free of all cords but one, I mounted it on the outside of my cabinet...

The sleek black look is incredible next to my tank that is all black both canopy and stand. In fact I made sure to visit Circuit City and purchased a satellite mount for the esthetics....

I came home and had fun connecting it to my side of my tank. If you take a look at ELOS tanks; those that haven't seen them they are Italian made and look incredible...

They have the controller mounted on a single pole next to the reef like an exhibit at a museum. Anyways this is how she looks, tell me what all you think???

MG

xp77s7.jpg

xp77vc.jpg

xp781e.jpg

xp786u.jpg

xp78d5.jpg

xp78gh.jpg

xp78n5.jpg

xp78tj.jpg

Charlie97L

that looks awesome, i love the amount of color you have going in your tank.

what are you running light wise again? i read, but it seems you had made some changes, and i wasn't sure where you ended up.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
that looks awesome, i love the amount of color you have going in your tank.

what are you running light wise again? i read, but it seems you had made some changes, and i wasn't sure where you ended up.

Charlie,

I'm running the 300 watt Coralife Advanced Series MH, 20,000 k bulbs; they are two 150 MH....

MG

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here are two new editions I added to my reef tank; button polyps on a small tongan branch and a blue dot mushroom rock mixed with polyps...

I found this bristle worm on the botton polyps and removed him...

zlr8n4.jpg

zlr90k.jpg

zlr9cy.jpg

zlrark.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The weekend came and I was able to configure my Reef Keeper 2. Here she is in action...

I now have two PH probes running in my system; Milwaukee Controller is in my main display she runs a PH of 8.0 - 8.3 throughout the day. The RK2 PH probe is in my sump measuring my calcium reactor effluent; right now it reads 7.83 and when I dropped it in my display tank next to the other probe she read identical...

I will be running the caclium reactor at 6.8 PH to properly break down my arragonite. My calcium reactor is off line since I'm waiting for a replacement piece that went bad...

But from what I have been able to conclude is that the PH probe from Pinpoint is extremely accurate and very easy to calibrate with the solutions supplied by Digital Aqautics...

From reading post it's clear that Digital Aquatics is correct about where you should place your probe, under good flow, not just any where in the sump where the flow can be dead...

From what I've viewed there is a clear difference in PH readings from main display to stagnant sump; make sure you place it under good flow...

MG

zlrhhy.jpg

zlrin5.jpg

zlrk80.jpg

zlrklt.jpg

Edited by mikeguerrero
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

With summer right around the corner I wanted to add some additional type of cooling to my Metal Halides; I run two 150 watt HQI over glass tops...

I found two 4 inch fans at Target, only $5.99 per fan. I then purchased an extension cord that would connect both of them to my RK2. It's on a timer with the lights...

End result is the glass staying warm to the touch instead of baking hot; a noticeable difference...

Here are the pics:

zo97qc.jpg

zo98if.jpg

zo9a9y.jpg

zo9bhh.jpg

zo9c0p.jpg

ReefApprentice

I love your tank. How do all the tangs get along? I want to get a chevron to add to the yellow and kole in my 60g, but they are 100 $. Keep up the good work.

Alex

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I love your tank. How do all the tangs get along? I want to get a chevron to add to the yellow and kole in my 60g, but they are 100 $. Keep up the good work.

Alex

Alex,

All my tangs get along, occasional little confrontation between the Powder Tang and the Yellow tang but before they can even fight they are broken up by the other tangs; it's very odd...

Chevron tang and Kole tang are very docile in my opinion, they don't bother anyone nor do they cause fights, they are always nipping on all the rocks taking what ever algae they can get in a small mouth fill...

A chevron tang here is the SF bay area is only $60 dollars, see if you can find one for about that price, they are beautiful additions to any reef...

MG

• 2 weeks later...