SaltCritters.com

72 Oceanic Reef Ready Bow Front Evolution...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Awesome tank.

I have a 90g oceanic bowfront...basically your tank just 6 inches taller.

I am going to be taking it down in the next 2 weeks and downgrading. Than in like 3 months resetting it back up in my families office.

I will definitely be looking back in this thread for equipment, lighting, and really how to set it up nicely cuz I'm in love with your 72g :) AWESOME TANK!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Sorry for not replying earlier, I've been really busy with work.

But to answer the first question on glass tops; you can order them from you LFS or get them online; be sure that you order glass made by Oceanic and not All Glass, there is a big differece in quality.

Now the question about digital timers. You can purchase them at any Target in person or online. They are $11.99 per timer. You may also get another digital timer for only $9.99. Both are made by timex. I use them for my moonlights since they don't pull too much wattage.

I have tons of pics to share on setting up both my twins with the media; just haven't had time to post them; but this weekend I should get to them up.

Mike G

What kelvin bulbs are you using? I love the color.

My next tank I am downgradign too is going to have 2 x 150 watter on it...its going to be 36x22x22 (75g)

I was thinking of purchasing the same set up...just 36 inch model...how you liking the lighting?

Oh good--finally, a stocked pic on page 5...jeeze, never thought it would come ;)....

Awesome tank Mike...keep it up, grow dem frags and send them to li'l brother so he give them to me :).

Edited by rbaby
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Well,

Here are a series of pics with my calcium reactor. I had to wait for many pieces to arrive since the LFS didn't have what I wanted. Instead of a 5 lbs C02 container I went with two 20 oz containers from a company in Ohio. I also ordered the aqualifter for delivery of sump water to reactor and back to sump.

I also got the filter to go with the aqualifter to protect the delicate pump flaps; also ordered the check valve filter for the reactor insuring I never get anything clogged in the reactor intake.

In order to control my regulator I purchased a PH controller; which shuts off my C02 when it reaches 7.8 PH.

I also had to order more effluent tubbing and some C02 tubbing; I was using the stealth tubbing but its very thin compared to the proper tubbing.

I will place 10 pictures on this post and another 10 on the next; enjoy and please feel inclined to comment.

Mike

euebeq.jpg

euebs7.jpg

euebtv.jpg

eued5w.jpg

eued7r.jpg

euednb.jpg

euedcm.jpg

euedfn.jpg

euedxd.jpg

euedzk.jpg

Edited by mikeguerrero
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here is the second set of pics; enjoy...

Mike

euegy9.jpg

eueh48.jpg

euehco.jpg

euehwo.jpg

euehyx.jpg

euf035.jpg

euf09d.jpg

euf0bd.jpg

Edited by mikeguerrero
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Some reefers have been asking me why I went with such a small C02 container and how did I get it to inject C02 into the regulator.

Since I came back to the reefing world as a nano cube owner I wanted to keep the small concept in the cabinet.

I wanted to take advantage of all my precious realty that I had in my cabinet. If you have been following my thread you will see that all filtration is in that cabinet except the chiller.

Chiller needs to ventilate well and so I purchased one that has a nice appeal to any room, the JBJ line.

I puchased the two containers from a paintball website in Ohio. They sold me the containers that have a control valve on the neck of the bottle.

I have taken three pics so reefers can see how I got it to work. The first set I purchased were pin activated and didn't work.

Mike

eufq77.jpg

eufq8i.jpg

eufqcm.jpg

Sure wish I could use my PMI Pure Energy Nitro Bottle....they don't do to well with CO2. You got some good containers there, and those fittings on the end are nice for drop forwards on paintball guns.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Since I am working on fighting algae in my reef, I know I cannot win the battle from just the outside; the phosphate reactor cannot do it alone.

So I went and purchased, one small yellow tang, one small hawaii algae blenny, 10 margarita snails, 5 astral snails, and 3 emerald crabs.

I hope to see some results from this team, I will call them the algae busters...

I searched for a mini sea hair but they were out...

Does anyone else know if I missed any others for my elite team of algae busters?

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey Reefers,

My tank has been going through a red slime attack. I know that my tank is still very immature; but all culprits of over feeding, excess phosphate and high nitrate are under control, yet I still have this attack.

I researched chemi-clean and red slime remover and went ahead and got the red slime remover since I had heard that some folks had lost there crocea clams in the process of chemi-clean.

As per the instructions I removed my carbon bags and shut off my skimmer and I pulled out some aquarium water to mix 4 1/2 scoops of the stuff to the mixing bowel, man that stuff look literally like urine sorry for the description but it was identical.

And it stunk really bad my wife said what the heck are you doing Mike, you are going to kill your fish; little does she know I have resources on nano-reef and reef central that I thoroughly read before I took this step.

Well, in went the stuff and my school of chromis tried eating the mixture, bad little guys and then my tank turned into the hulk, it's completely green. The only change I see in any of my corals are my pulsating xenias, they are not pulsating but rather retracted, I hope they make it.

Has anyone else played with this stuff? I'm just wondering how long my tank will stay the hulk color? Hope to see it back to mild manner bruce banner.

Here is a pick of my Hulk tank:

f4k57a.jpg

Mike G

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Okay,

So I wake up on day two and look at my tank; the rocks are a lot better very little to no slime algae, but the sand bed in still covered with slime.

I decide to lower the lights to just 3 hours a day and I dosed a second time as per the instructions.

That's it guys if that doesnt' kill the stuff I don't know what will. I think I should've killed the lights to just 3 hours on the first day I dosed.

I might have given the slime some more energy from the light I'm not sure, that is why I turned down the lights to three hours with my second dose.

I'll keep you guys and gals posted.... Wish me luck......

Mike

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Here are some FTS of my 72 bowfront tank. This tank has been up and going for 3 months now. I went through a slime phaze and now its a lot better; Slime Agae Remover by Ultralife is a great product.

I've been playing around with the settings on my camera and came up with these shots, hope you guys like them; keep in mind that my camera is terrible for macro shots.

Mike

fdr4lz.jpg

fdr680.jpg

fdr6h4.jpg

Nice Tank Mike... I also have been fighting algae and bought a phosphate reactor. My phosphate reactor is working awesome but I also need some help...What did you find clening crew wise that ate the algae off the sand bed?