Pod Your Reef

Acanthastrea thread!

Tigahboy

hey baby, when you frag your pinkish with green ring, lmk...i'd love a frag of it. i want to see how it'd color up in a different tank. :D i've always got plenty to trade, just lmk when you're ready!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wth?! BH20! i need your acan!

that thing is utterly amazing.

*gasp*

it took my breathe away!

tigahboy, how do your acans fair under your mh lightings? you have a 20k or 14k?

unfortunately, I'm the only one w/ a surviving piece of that acan. and this one is sensitive as hell. I keep it in a cave away from too much light. I once moved it more directly under 250w MH and it started to melt - literally.

I have 14K Phoenix bulbs. I keep all acan low to the tank bottom and not directly under the mh lighting.

since acans and lps don't like too much light and i probably don't have any spots for shade, should i get a 20k instead?

could be lobophyllia. hard to tell if it is acan w/o more polyps.

how large is that polyp? like how many inches in diameter.

Babycakes - Pretty, but it's a Favites.

People care so much about whether their unknown brains are Acans! It's a funny new trend.

Originally posted by Caesar777

People care so much about whether their unknown brains are Acans! It's a funny new trend.

it's not new. LFS have been doing this for a few years now :)

labelling everything "unknown acan" ... but who really knows or cares? people should buy coral for the sake of "liking" them and not just "having" them. :happy:

labelling everything "unknown acan" ... but who really knows or cares? people should buy coral for the sake of "liking" them and not just "having" them.

That's exactly what I mean! :)

The corallites on that coral are too large to be candy cane.

the jury is out on that one, and it is either an acan maxima or a really cool lobophyllia.

wow that "acan. maxima" (or whatever it is) certainly looks weird/unique...

my fav acan species is and will always be lordhowensis :)

6dxuzc.jpg

This is a 1 polyp frag I made from 2nd rainbow colony - pic taken on 5-16-05.

rb51605.jpg

Same frag as of today - 6-25-05 - with 3 full polyps

rb62505.jpg

if you're wondering why i posted that acan maxima..it's bc i bought a head of it....

i was reassured that the guy he bought it from reassured him it was a maxima and he trusts him on his coral ID because he's a very experienced reefer.

but who knows? it could still ba cool lobophyllia and i got it for a good price *coughs*

well the person you got it from is an honest seller and consults with experienced acan collectors. both sides of the identification issue have very experienced reefers, so it's a hard ID for sure. either way it is a unique looking specimen. =)

yeah mschriskim is a really nice guy :D i think he's korean

yeah i'm getting some non indos next week. i've been saving for a red/pink yuma to put in an empty spot on my lr but damn acans have been distracting me.

i think my acans are coloring up nicely under the pc's they seem to glow more but that may just be my opinion. i'll post a post and pre halide update once i get my light system.

oh and dennis! the rainbow has encrusted onto the rock (after i put little epoxy in the gaps under it) and has 2 mouths on the top. it eats a lot..or is that just me ???

Archived