ReefCleaners.org

Acanthastrea thread!

Tigahboy

lol caesar777, you need a girlier picture for you icon cuz it's so funny to read the word cute from you comments when you got that guy in your icon. thanks for the skeleton references! reef'n ale you got a great echinata! it's awesome!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tee hee. People think I'm some gay old man, talking about my boyfriend and things being "cute". :P

lol caesar.lol. you should tell me your name so i could call you that instead of caesar. anyhoo here are some of my acans:

whitebalance under actinics

acan1.JPG

acan2.JPG<--grew 10 round babies in 1 month!

acans.JPG

and this one is for caesar. my bf's dog Patrick with eyebrows i drew on some pieces of tape on him

patrickmad.JPG

Tee-hee... I love that dog photo! And those Acan babies are adorable. (Nice colors!) And yes, th' name's Flo. :flower:

They're getting cheap now..I'll bet you could get a classic Indo red&blue, easy.

Ehh... You could post a WTB in the classifieds. I have a classic one I'd frag for cheap, and probably some others here do, too.

You got me on that one Prunfarm! I'm not too experienced with acans. The only other one I have is a frag of Tigah's rainbow, which I believe is echinata. My new one does look different. It doesn't seem to "inflate" as much. Is that what you mean by "thinner"? Also, the rainbow polyps really open up at night, and my new one doesn't seem to do that.

Does that make sense?

Can you possibly post a pic of yours? I'd love to see it.

Rob

Reefer Addict
Originally posted by yoshiod9

lol @ RA.  

ra- i know you know where to look...the back of tigah's tank!  :D

The problem is Tigah has so many damn tanks now!!!! :D It takes too long to check out the back of EACH tank for his good chit. I'm scared that he is going to catch me again... X) I had to pay for a piece (The famous SuperTigahboy Danae-I actually should post an updated pic of the piece) the last time he caught me trying to bogart some of his frags. :o

I don't know about it being rotundiflora... Check out these pics of wild colonies.

384-01.jpg

384-04.jpg

This one is similar, but see photo below...

384-03.jpg

Also, note the outer edge of rotundiflora....Notes on CoralSearch the "echinophyllia-like edge".

384-05.jpg

Corallites...

384BW-01.jpg

Characters: Colonies are encrusting, sometimes submassive. Small colonies have a conspicuous central corallite. Corallites are plocoid, becoming widely spaced and Echinophyllia-like (Pectiniidae) at colony edges. Septa have long pointed teeth. Colonies have fleshy tissue over the skeleton.

Colour: Dark brown, rust-red or green.

Similar species: Acanthastrea echinata, which has similar but smaller corallites which are less widely spaced, without an Echinophyllia-like appearance towards the colony periphery.

Sorry I don't have a pic, my buddy fried my digi. The one I have looks exactly like SPStoner's pic on page 3 of RC LPS keepers forum. By 'thinner' I mean does it look like an echinophyllia at the edges; they also don't 'inflate' as much. Caesar could very well be right, I was just guessing because it looks similar to mine. BTW, the outer edge won't do the echino thing unless it has something to encrust on. Anyway, it's a damn nice piece!

Prunfarm, I just checked out SPStoner's pic, and I have to say...I'm not sure!:D It definitely looks like it. It also looks like the second pic the Reef Princess...I mean Caesar, posted(above).

It's time for a new camera, man! Or borrow one! Where in Md are you? I'm in SE Pa near Rising Sun and the Conawingo(sp) dam.

Rob

Archived