Pod Your Reef

Acanthastrea thread!

Tigahboy

sweet stuff dennis! i just set up the 29l that i was gonna use as a sump cuz i ran outta cash. lol. i'll post pics as soon as i get two seios and get rid of the three or four powerheads i've got going right now...also i've got to get a few pendants of the same color bulb(i'm using a 70w 14k and a 70w 20k right now and it's realllllly obvious which is which.)

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

MWUAHAHAHAHAHAH....

i bought some acans!!! i can finally officially join this thread.

yeah dan the denro man. i got it :D i'm so excited! i'll email you when i get it :D

i got these from roe's marine world. i thought they were a good deal, 6 polyps for $150 and 1.5 for $40...good deal..right?

41_1_b.JPG?uniq=-oi1zel

34_1_b.JPG?uniq=-oi1zep

is the last one bleached? seems light but they listed it as orange streaked. i'm still trying to refine my skills in determining whether a coral is healthy or not and if it's a good or rare deal

on average, acan lords from indonesia are ranging from around ~$20 per polyp to ~$50 per polyp for the original red/grey/teal morphs. (compared to 1/2 a year ago they were ~$100 per polyp)

the prices you paid for above are about right, i'd consider the mini-colony that you got a good deal since there are quite a few heads on that rock. to determine health, you basically look at the fleshiness, if it's poofy, 10/10 times it means it's a healthy coral. bleached or not, acans WILL regain their original coloration in due time. they may look pale but will most likely regain colors throughout the next few months.

the more you feed them, the faster they grow... in 4-5 months, that 1.5 polyp frag should start sprouting multiple babies and possibly even mature into full polyps within half a year. this is the beauty of these corals :) i consider them to be LPS with "zoanthid-like" growth... definitely one of my favorites since they are both hardy, and versatile if kept under proper conditions. :D

how do some people make acan balls? like the polyps stand out like they're covering a baseball?

04_04.jpg

do you put it on a round rock and have it encrust or does it just for that on it's own? i'm still confused about the growth of acans..

i'd be excited too it was from tigahboy! take pics soon! lol..i should be studying up for french. i'm trying to figure out where to put a blasto, echinata, and lord so that they don't kill each other. i'm running out of real estate..which i never thought would actually happen.

I have ran out of real estate a while back but that is not stoping me, hehehe. I refuse...Haha. Yeah he sold me some very cool color morph that I was looking for a while now.

can blastos and acans be next to each other..or at least 3" away from each other?

what was the color morphy and ya wanna tell me how much? ;)

Color morph? Hmm that's interesting. Im not sure if I can explain it, hahaha. It's like uhhh, redish with grayish stripes. It's close to the one that you posted, hehehe. About 6 posts up.

Price? Hmm not sure if I should say. Tigahboy is a real generous person with me and I dont think I can put him out like that. But I guess it's about the same that he sells to everyone else.

_11u17.jpg

okay..someone tell me if that looks good and worth $100

blaaaaaaah. wasting my money on things smaller than a pack of chewing gum.

anyways i bought it. i couldn't help myself. maybe the picture is tricking me but it looks like lavendar, purple ring, green center.

Platinum Reefs
Originally posted by Babycakes

how do some people make acan balls? like the polyps stand out like they're covering a baseball?

04_04.jpg

do you put it on a round rock and have it encrust or does it just for that on it's own? i'm still confused about the growth of acans..

If you mount them to a spherical shaped rock, then when they encrust and grow over it, they will form a "ball." If you place it on a flat rock, then it will grow flat. it just follows the countours of the rock piece.

19 polyps is like 500 bucks or something..what a score!

this is in dallas?!? crazy...

tigahboy, could i use epoxy to mold it into a ball and put the frag on that? i'm a noob acan ownder :D

Archived