Coral Vue Hydros

Acanthastrea thread!

Tigahboy

oh yeah...i forgot to say that they're gorgeous! lol. too worried making sure you don't get in trouble! they're really really puffy, huh? good find man!

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out rare fish like about an hour after Uchiha left. haha. Their prices are in the mid-to-upper range (not super expensive; but not cheap). Nice selection of acans/micromussa, but I went there to pick-up a big colony of blasto wellsi, so didn't buy any of them.

Originally posted by uscreef

so ~80 a head?

depends on who's buyin em, go talk to Wes over at rare-fish for a price.

as for naming them "japanese acans".... i meant to type: "not-indo" but it came out as "japanese" ... excuse the typo. maybe i should rephrase it: i didn't "know" what they were when i bought them, i thought it was a cool looking favia! ;)

:D cool...that's an awesome frag you picked up! let me be the first to tell you that it really looks like an a. lordhowensis! not too sure, but it might be! ;)

I really love that Red/Grey morph...after I get settled in to the new place, I'll have to grab a frag as a "housewarming" present to myself.

Cheers,

Fred

Scott Wilson

Well for now I have split the Acan lord into 3 pieces. I hope my workmanship holds up to that of Tigahboy. Thanks Tigahboy for your guidance in performing the surgery.

Picture taken just after coming out of surgery.

Scott

Scott Wilson
Originally posted by Tigahboy

looks good.

Thanks. Now I just want to let it grow out for a while prior to trying to ship any of it for sale.

Scott

Hi, im a new member and if you guys didnt see my 45G pics in the members nano reef forums here it is here. Orange rim and green insides. There are 9 polyps on that rock. I also had to basiclly beg for this piece. It wasnt suppose to be for sale. Anyone have a idea how much this rock would go for? Becuz this blasto put a dent in my wallet but would like to know If I got my moneys worth or not. So how much ya think?

Sorry about the pic. Doesnt show its true colors at all. Ill try to take better one soon.

hi s3aL :) welcome to NR.com

as u mentioned, that's a blasto, and not from the genus "Acanthastrea" ...

why u posted in this thread is not clear to me, but it's all good :) regarding your question about how much that piece would go for, i'd have to say roughly $100-150 depending on your LFS, it is possible that it could be a little more, since you said it has 9 heads which is a LOT!! blastomussa wellsi is usually around $10-25 per polyp, of course, this depends on the coloration/health/etc. but that's a very nice coral! i'd love to have one of those as healthy as yours :)

Thanx alot. The reason I posted in this thread was becuz I thought blastos were in the Acanthastrea family? heh. Im guessing im wrong :blush: . May I ask what the difference is?

blastos are in the mussidae family like acans are but blastos are their own order(i'm pretty sure those terms are incorrect). i paid about 40 bucks for 9 polyps of bright red with green mouth blasto. our lfs didn't know how much they were worth i guess.

blastomussa and acanthastrea are in different "genus" (out of a total of 13 genera, the two in question are respectively: blasto; and acan) ... but both belong in the same "family" (mussidae) as yoshi pointed out. so this would what the "nomenclature" would look like:

Family Mussidae

--Genus: Acanthastrea

----Species: Lordhowensis

----Species: Echinata

--Genus: Blastomussa

----Species: Merleti

----Species: Wellsi

etc...

blastomussa merleti (smaller polyps, more generalized colors) are usually cheaper than blastomussa wellsi (large polyps, more varied colorations).

merleti usually goes for ~$50 for a colony here in San Diego, while the wellsi's will run upwards of $80-120 per "piece" (5-10 polyps)

hope that clears up some of the confusion! :D

Archived