Pod Your Reef

Acanthastrea thread!

Tigahboy

ok ... here are a few pix that i haven't even put in my thread yet... but over the past week i've collected a few pix of the red acan at night w/its crazy ass feeder tentacles.

here are a few shots (take not, some pix taken w/flash so the colors appear slightly different depending on the angle i was holding the camera... but for the most part they are somewhat consistent with each other) :)

chomping on some yummy krill- DINNER TIME! :happy:

237m1w

craving some dinner?

237m6e

kinda like a bad hair day... crazy tentacle day?

237m6v

and finally this is how it looks "normally" ...noticed i re-mounted the acan with putty so that the flesh has somewhere to grow when it comes time to grow baby polyps... this way when the frag does grow, it will look better and more "natural" once it covers the epoxy.

237m7o

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah acan lords are pretty expensive! I was at the LFS-Rare fish-and they sold 2 polyps of acan lords for 200 bucks the other day. They even had a pretty amazing Dendrophyllia (sp). But alot of lfs dont carry a wide variety of acan lords I've been to.

Rare Fish is overpriced, i'm surprised the guy actually bought it at $100 per polyp... i visit that store often, and i talk to the owner a lot, Wes (the owner) is seriously price gouging, i told him for $100 per polyp he's insane! :(

Yeah I dont really know the going price for acans. But 2 polyps and 200 bucks WOW. Hope that guy got a really cool color morph. I go to rare fish alot and yeah there price does seem a little steep but the closest lfs with some decent corals and fish are like 30 minutes away. Wes is the guy that wears glasses right? I been there so many times and talk to him but dont know his name.lolz their pretty cool people too.

haha, yea, wes is the guy w/glasses, recently he's been wearing contacts though.

the going price for acan really depends on the color morph (which you might've already guessed), for example: red/grey/green morphs usually run anywhere from $40-70 per polyp, ANYTHING ELSE, "should" be around the same price range, maybe a little higher at around $70-80 per polyp.

but that's mostly speaking for "indonesia" acan lords... the ones that come out of australia or japan will fetch a higher price. this is mostly b/c of the fact that these color morphs are a lot "crazier" and way more vibrant than the regular red/grey morphs from indonesia. because of the rarity and difficulty of acquiring these different morphs, some people raise prices to $100-$150 per polyp depending on the morph! honestly, any person in the right mind will agree that the price on that is WAY too steep. anyways, with some luck... in the future acan lords will be as common as blastos and we can all join in on the fun of collecting and captively breeding these beautiful corals :)

hey...glad they arrived safely. And yoshio is right, better to mount them to some flat rock rubble (just super gel glue the base of skeleton) and once it starts to encrust, it will grow very rapidly. those 2 are my fastest growers now.

the title says it all...

Battle #1: I've never had probs w/ the acans battling before, but a few days ago one of my red/green lords got pushed up against the rainbow mother colony...and then they started to duke it out. I found the lord w/ it's sweepers covering about 2/3 or so of the mother colony...it looked like spider webs actually...I've never seen the sweepers out before, so I was a lil confused, but as I separated them apart, I noticed that the rainbow's "skin" was completely gone and nothing left but oozing, disgusting, raw flesh. It was pretty dang bad, and I pulled the colony out and sliced off the last remaining polyps that were not puddles of ooze yet.

So basically, the rainbow acan mother colony is no more. Just got a few frags left and evassj4 got one of my last. So take care of that baby rainbow, dude! haha.

Anyway, after I finished trying to save the mother, I took a pic of the red/green...it's retracting its stinging filaments in this pic...

mofoacan.jpg

Battle #2 - THEN, this morning, guess what I found?! Yup, more acans battling it out. I took out a bunch of LR and separated them after the rainbow incident, but the 2 head polyp of rainbow (part of the few polyps I managed to save) decided to take revenge on the acan lord camp and nuked a single polyp of green acan lord...can't we all just get along?!

acanwar.jpg

I don't know if the green is gonna make it. sigh.

Battle #3 - Just last night, I noticed that another red/green lord had released the sweepers...it was wrapping them around an unsuspecting stomatella that casually wandered onto the acan polyp. I looked again 5 minutes later, and the lord had completely devoured it. haha.

Moral of this story - give your acans a good distance from other corals...the end.

Sorry to hear, man...But kinda cool at the same time! =) I'm pretty new here, but I've been following your posts for quite some time now. always impressed. You'll be on top of the game again in no time!

Just got a few frags left and evassj4 got one of my last. So take care of that baby rainbow, dude! haha.

I shouldn't have this kind of responsability.:P

tigah!!! you jackass! only lords can be kept next to lords...all acans have to be seperated by species! man...i hope that some of them pull through...if they don't let me know, i'll frag up my red/blue/green and the atlantis green if you want.

haha. i know that they are different species and should be separated. I can't help it if a snail knocks em over...and yes, I underestimated the distance of the sweepers. =P

red/blue/green? I dont remember one like that. show me, fool.

the normal colored indo-pacific ones but it has steel blue and light green stripes. sorry again about your acans man.

This is the wes that you guys are talking about.

quote uchiha, "the going price for acan really depends on the color morph (which you might've already guessed), for example: red/grey/green morphs usually run anywhere from $40-70 per polyp, ANYTHING ELSE, "should" be around the same price range, maybe a little higher at around $70-80 per polyp.

but that's mostly speaking for "indonesia" acan lords... the ones that come out of australia or japan will fetch a higher price. this is mostly b/c of the fact that these color morphs are a lot "crazier" and way more vibrant than the regular red/grey morphs from indonesia. because of the rarity and difficulty of acquiring these different morphs, some people raise prices to $100-$150 per polyp depending on the morph! honestly, any person in the right mind will agree that the price on that is WAY too steep. anyways, with some luck... in the future acan lords will be as common as blastos and we can all join in on the fun of collecting and captively breeding these beautiful corals"

the ones i have are micromussa amakusensis, they're found only around japan. i have a colony in the store at this time. and i don't believe their prices will drop down simply because they're found in japan and there are no corals that are imported from there. so who are all you guys on here that have met me, this is my first time here so be gentle :) check out my gallery under the weblink.

wes, sorry about that, initially i thot u were selling "lords" and you did mention "green & red" which are VERY common indo acanthastrea lordhowensis morph...that's why i thought you were charging insane prices (for common colors on lords), i didn't know you had micromussa frags/colonies (instead of lords) and there IS a big difference. :)

btw, i saw his colony over at Rare Fish just a few hours ago and it is sweet :)

haha...no biggie :happy: you know me, i'm into rarefish, anything rare. its funny, the more people want to buy it, the more i don't want to sell it. i'm a real hog when it comes to hard to find items! yeah, fugupuff is rarefish

Originally posted by fugupuff

haha...no biggie  :happy: you know me, i'm into rarefish, anything rare.  its funny, the more people want to buy it, the more i don't want to sell it.  i'm a real hog when it comes to hard to find items!  yeah, fugupuff is rarefish

haha, i know what you mean... it's addicting sometimes, anyways, i'm glad you've joined NR.com :) you should look into becoming a sponsor, i'm sure you'd get a lot more publicity, you'd be amazed how many locals in LA are looking for a "quality" alternative LFS in our area.

Archived