SaltCritters.com

Acanthastrea thread!

Tigahboy

i really don't get what's so great about acans...ah don't bash me because i just said that. i'm starting off with one of those blastos Blane is selling, the red and blue one..which was $42 for a poly or 2...blah. :*(

But if I were to start picking out acans... any tips on how to pick out a good healthy one or when to know a rare acan when i see one????

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RA- lol. if you want to find rare, go diving in tigah's tank...duh!

baby- i'd be careful ordering blastos and having them shipped...blastos are notorious for not being hardy shippers. anything acanthastrea lordhowensis is usually considered rare here in the states. if you can get anything with flourescent colors...that will definetly be rare. the most 'common' lords in the states are the indo-pacific red/steel blue/greenish colored ones(like the one that scott posted at www.justcoral.com). still rare in the US cuz cites only allows something like 2000 acanthastrea species to be harvested per year.

wow. thanks yoshiod9. now i get why they're so rare and expensive. boo, :*( didn't know that blastos were bad shippers. last time i'll ever by one online. read belowh20 actually found some great blastos from one of our LFS who sold it to him thinking that they were giving him a favia. lol. maybe i'll try my lfs tommorow. thanks again :D

Reefer Addict

WRONG!!!!! They are not rare or expensive. Just show up at Tigah's when he is away at class or Home Depot........:D

Originally posted by Babycakes

wow. thanks yoshiod9. boo, didn't know that blastos were bad shippers.

aw how cute. yoshiod is babycake's "boo." :

My red blue blasto wellsi from Farms of the Sea.com...came dead. As in skeleton with a bunch of floaty brown bits. Got a voucher for it..but...*cries*

And no Yoshiod9 is not my boo! :nerd:

Originally posted by Babycakes

My red blue blasto wellsi from Farms of the Sea.com...came dead. As in skeleton with a bunch of floaty brown bits. Got a voucher for it..but...*cries*

And no Yoshiod9 is not my boo! :nerd:

Yeah, it's very unfortunate that vendors sell off blastos so quickly w/o ensuring their health/viability.

most wild caught blasto wellsi are EXTREMELY sensitive to shipping and though it's very tempting, I now avoid buying any blastos from LFS or online vendor unless they can show me pics of the blastos FULLY inflated. if you see any blastos that look deflated, it's very likely it won't make it by the time u get it.

sorry for your loss tho. I definitely know what that feels like (had a very very nice and rare rainbow blasto that I took a chance on even tho it was deflated, and it died w/in 2 days). And that definitely would've been a cool morph, but that pic he has of the blasto doesn't show a fully inflated polyp. Definitely a risk then if purchased. better luck next time tho!

reef hugger

Babycakes, I'm sorry to hear and see the lost of your Blasto. Looking at you pic, they didn't do a very good job of fragging that Blasto. He just snapped it apart and it ended up breaking through the middle of the polyps. I also see that they don't have them listed on the site anymore. Either they sold them all or they all died :(. I was tempted to get some of those Blastos too. Like Tiga said, if they don't have pic of it expanded, pass on it. Chances are it will die.

damn...did i call that or did i call that? sorry that the blastos died on you. that really bites. but, at least now you have room for acans...:D sooo much nicer than wellsi's...cuz they grow and whatnot. good luck seeing any real growth on a blasto wellsi within it's first months in your tank. still though, if i see a nice wellsi colony for a decent price, i'm very likely to pick it up. lol. i'm such a hypocrite.

yowzers. those are sexy.

i got a question for you guys, how do you keep your significant other calmed down when it comes to purchasing corals or those pricey acans? my boyfriend goes nuts when he hears the $$$ I've spent so far...but then I'm a shopaholic by heart so he's sort of used to me spending..sort of. It's a disease I'm sure of it.

i don't lie about it...i just make sure she knows how much i really really really like the piece, thus justifying the cost...somewhat. :D

if you thought the original rainbow acan of mine is sweet, get a load of its big (more colorful) brother. =)

w/ feeders extended...

rbacan3.jpg

rbacan1.jpg

That is the only Acanthastrea I have any interest in at all...lol.

How much are you going to sell that for per polyp when you get some frags, Dennis?

Cheers,

Fred

man, you have expensive taste, fred. haha. j/k. on the fence about fragging. I lost most of my last one due to some acan on acan warfare, so I'm very possessive over this one; so hard to find this exact morph. the other ones don't got these mottled/splotches of bright color. =)

I dont care how much they are Tigahboy, when you frag it I want some of those rainbow acan. Hehehe. It's beautiful.

Archived