Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

Hey Tigahboy I was at Jeff's about 30 minutes ago and I never noticed that they have sumps for sale. They are really sharp looking acrylic sumps. Jeff said that there is a guy that makes them for him. Not to mention very reasonable. I saw one that's 36" for $149. But it comes totally ready. All you get is your skimmer and return pump. Even comes with baffles, hehe. You might know of this but I never saw that there before.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cesar - wow...$149 for an acrylic 36" sump? I didn't know. I'll have to check em out.

nalbar - I said it before, but I learned a lot from your posts in the past. so thanks!

Okay, guys. I think I'm going to have to get a different skimmer. My 24" tall es5-3 is REALLY making it hard for me to find a suitable stand and sump. I really don't like tall stands, so that makes it especially difficult for me to work with.

So either I go for es5-2, which is rated at 75g (so I guess it would just barely cut it) or I might go for the ASM G-1 or G-2 (rated at 100g and 200g, respectively). ASM's are so much cheaper and supposedly they are just as efficient as the euroreefs. blah! I don't know!

So returning the EuroReef or selling it? I'm sure you could get it sold for almost full price on reef-central... ;) Good luck w/ the skimmer, dude. I'm dieing w/out one... :(

Yeah...I think I have to try to sell it on RC...It's unused and in its box now! I really hope I can get most of the money back...but that usually never happens. haha.

I think I'm gonna go w/ the ASM G1 or ASM G2 IF I can sell my Euro. =/

Have you seen the Skimmers that Jeff's have? I think they are called the 6 in 1 or something like that. They look good and was thinking about it for a while today. If I get one of the sumps they sell there then I might not be able to get the Remora Pro. Unless it totally submer...

I'd say go w/ the G2 if you can possibly afford it because you know you're going to have a hard time keeping your bioload down. ;) And that power will come in real handy w/ a tang or two. ;) Hehehe. Can never be too safe w/ a skimmer. My angel took a bite out of my birdsnest a bit ago! :o It's almost dead, so oh well.

well I think both the G1 and the G2 are affordable...it's just that the G1 is a nice 19" tall while the G2 is around 22" tall...

The primary reason for me not using my es5-3 is due to height issues of the stand...so I'm leaning more towards the G1 rite now. It's rated at 100g, and I think that should be sufficient for my 67g.

But yeah, if I didn't have the stand issues, I would definitely get the G2 since it's only $20 more or something like that.

cesar - i'm not familiar w/ them at Jeff's. I definitely need to make a visit to check it out tho.

Hi there! I was wondering about your schematic on plumbing as I am trying to work off your diagram to figure mine out. ( hope you don't mind):) The Om has 4 "returns"? I see you have 5 dedicated to it? Are you splitting one? Forgive me in advance as I am a girl with 0 common sense Also, does your euroreef need to be elevated in the sump? I am thinking about purchasing one and I see you have concerns about height. I will have 36' H stand made by so. cal. Do you think I would have enough clearance to function?

I don't mind at all. that's why I post them up. =)

The OM Squirt requires the extra 5th line - for bypass valve. basically, the OM Squirt can't handle pumping more than 1300 gph thru the 4 returns...so in case you have a pump that is rated more than 1300gph, then the bypass valve will relieve some of the flow from the 4 returns and just simply return back into the tank as shown in my diagram.

Now if you spent an extra $100 or so for the OM 4-way, you wouldn't need to worry about the 5th bypass valve and it could handle TONS of flow. So it really depends on what size tank you have and how much flow you want in there (also what kinda corals you want to keep).

For the Euro-reef - 36" is enough height to function for sure. But I was just unwilling to have a stand that tall...Mine right now is only 24" and I like it lower to the floor for easier access into my tank. Just a personal preference.

Euroreef does not have to be elevated. I already spoke to the folks at socalcreations and they said that a 36" tall stand would accomodate the Euro Reef ES5-3 just perfectly.

Are you in CALI? please buy my Euroreef! hahah. I can cut you a good deal and it's UNUSED and still in box!

But like i said, it all depends on how many gallons your tank will be and what types of corals you'd like to keep.

(PM me if you are interested in the EuroReef). hope that helps.

I'd have to ask the guy first. He's a recluse but it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. You'd also have to pick up. I'm not sure if it's worth it just because it was imported into JP first.

reeferbarra20

You're selling your EURO_reef? Dam dude.. hahaha. Anyways I'm almost done with setting up my Tank. I gotta drive up to Dr.Macs to pick up my 80lbs of Kaleni Tonga rock on saturday> dammit 2 hours away! Anyways i'll have the wave2k picks up in a few minutes ok?

Dude I'd give anything to live 2 hours from Dr. Mac. He gets some of the nicest looking colonies from Bali, and I'd imagine that there's some stuff that never makes it to the webpage.

Where in VA do you live? I'm from Harrisonburg (Shenandoah Valley, JMU...), and I'm probably going to be moving back into the area once I graduate.

Tigah, I'm sure you've already thought of this, but make sure you've got plenty of room to remove the collection cup, because I would hate to imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be to just barely be able to squeeze the collection cup in and out.

The nice thing about Euro-reef/ASM is that since they have the union connection, all you do is unscrew it, and it slides off, you don't have to lift off the cup at all, but you already knew that.

Archived