Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

Tigah, your new profile pic is a barnacle blenny huh? THE BEST FISH IN THE WORLD! Sorry, just had to say it. I love them.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the support, everyone!

btw, I'm thinking about changing my aquascaping to something drastically different. Here's a pic of my current aquascaping in my 30g: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...6929#post416929

I like how it is right now, but I figure I should try something new.

How about 2 peaks? kinda like a valley?

and yes my avatar is a barnacle blenny. I've decided to name him "Lucky" after his near death experience today. more on that in my 30g thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...7531#post417531

Yea tigah! i wanted to do 2 peaks in my tank.. too bad it was too small. maybe like an L shaped 2 peaks, cuz if ur tank is sittin in the corner n yea.. TIIIIGHT!

I gotta ask man, why would you ever get rid of your 30g? It's such a nice tank. I suppose the idea is the bigger tank allows more fish and coral choices...but still....tearing down the 30 is a crime.

i believe Tigah wanted to get the 67g to maximize the area in which he can place his frags/colonies... believe it or not i think he was "running out of space" in his 30g, so this upgrade would be to accomodate the increase in corals that he's been consistently adding.

Originally posted by reeferbarra20

Hey tigah you got any good ideas for a SUMP/fuge designs?

Still thinkin bout that one, reeferbarra20. Will let you know when I finalize my plans for sump/fuge.

Originally posted by king_miku

I gotta ask man, why would you ever get rid of your 30g? It's such a nice tank. I suppose the idea is the bigger tank allows more fish and coral choices...but still....tearing down the 30 is a crime.

I very much hate having to take down the 30g too. If I could afford it, I'd just set-up the 67g on the side and try to run both. hahah. but I wouldn't be able to afford that.

And like uchiha said, I am running out of room. The SPS will be in each other's business soon unless I give them more room.

Man...I wish I was that far along. I still havent figured out my plans for sump.

and I JUST finally took the RO/DI filter out of its packaging...this looks MAD complicated. uh...does anyone want to come over and set this up for me? I can pay you $20. hahaha.

Man. I don't have much time to work on this...but hopefully it won't be as bad as it looks right now:

rodi1.jpg

Originally posted by NaNO ReeFiN

Looks like someone doesn't know what he's getting himself into.. :D

I don't. hahah. just wait until I get my calcium reactor. I will be even more confused as to how to set it up properly and adjust for correct amount of CO2 feeding...

up until now, my knowledge of the actual operation of RO/DI filters and Calcium Reactors has only been "in theory." haha.

Tigah,

I put together that same RO/DI unit (w/o the storage tank). It isn't too bad, so long as you don't do anything permanent. The directions they send via email say that you should pierce the feed water line and that you have to drill a hole in the exit pipe for your waste water. I say, this is a bad idea. Unless you want a permanent solution and you have plumbing skills. Just get a faucet adapter from AquaSafe (and you may need an adapter for the adapter, like I did) then put the waste water line in the toilet, tub, or sink, doesn't matter. Their directions are only good if you want a permanent solution.

If you want a permanent solution, you've got some drilling to do.

One other thing, regardless of whether you want to drill pipe and all that jazz, make sure you put plumber's tape around all the pieces you screw into the various filter compartments (there are like 4-6). Some of mine came w/ the plumber's tape on them, several of them did not. If you don't put plumber's tape on, you will have a big mess.

Anyhow, let me know if it is still too daunting or you have a question. Good luck.

I'm kinda bummed b/c ideally I could hook it up directly to my sink's plumbing (cold water source and drain)...but I didn't know that I had to actually drill or modify the existing metal plumbing...I live in an apt, so the plumbing parts under the sink don't even really belong to me!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to just hook it up to the kitchen faucet.

Originally posted by snehls

Tigah,

I put together that same RO/DI unit (w/o the storage tank).  It isn't too bad, so long as you don't do anything permanent.  The directions they send via email say that you should pierce the feed water line and that you have to drill a hole in the exit pipe for your waste water.  I say, this is a bad idea.  Unless you want a permanent solution and you have plumbing skills.  Just get a faucet adapter from AquaSafe (and you may need an adapter for the adapter, like I did) then put the waste water line in the toilet, tub, or sink, doesn't matter.  Their directions are only good if you want a permanent solution.

If you want a permanent solution, you've got some drilling to do.

One other thing, regardless of whether you want to drill pipe and all that jazz, make sure you put plumber's tape around all the pieces you screw into the various filter compartments (there are like 4-6).  Some of mine came w/ the plumber's tape on them, several of them did not.  If you don't put plumber's tape on, you will have a big mess.

Anyhow, let me know if it is still too daunting or you have a question.  Good luck.

Thanks, dude! I posted my previous comment before seeing your post.

I appreciate the tips, and I will forgo the manipulation of the plumbing. I agree that it seems too permanent.

My lights have been shipped and are scheduled to arrive tomorrow! Big thanks to nanocustoms.com for placing the order for me!

Check em out, ppl...

aqualight.jpg

And w/ 2x250w 20K and 2x39w 03 actinic T5's, it's gonna be like a rave party up in my tank!

And I finalized the placement of the holes and such for closed loop and returns. Here's a very last minute crude diagram I sent over to socalcreations.com. It should be ready for pick-up this weekend.

67gback2.jpg

daaaamn, that's gonna look sweet!

I've only got one question, those drains that are to the left and right of the main overflow... how are they gonna work?

actually only one will be a drain. the second is just optional in case I just settle for OM squirt since it needs the bypass line back into the tank.

so for example, the one to the left of the internal o-box will be connected to the external pump then to OM (either 4-way or squirt)...

and if i use the squirt, then just have another line connected to the one on the right side. I'm actually leaning towards the squirt b/c regardless I only want about 1000 gph going thru 4 of the returns. Another 1000 will be going thru the 2 other returns in addition for total of 2000 gph.

If it were an SPS-only, I'd want more flow, but i want to keep my yuma, rics and LPS which need a little less flow than SPS.

So given my plans for circulation, I cant think of a reason to pay like $200 more for the 4-way. And I wouldn't be adding the revolutions anyway.

Archived