SaltCritters.com

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

wow. 72x20x20...that just sounds sexy. haha. if I could accomodate that in my apt, I would've definitely gone for similar dimensions.

it's all about the widescreen viewing experience!

and yes, this project is gonna make me go bankrupt. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to stock it w/ corals after I'm done...probably will have to settle for an "empty" lookin tank for a few months. =/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Socalcreations was the lowest price quote I received for any kind of acrylic custom work locally here in L.A. area. The tank out the door is $350.

Angel Higuera
Originally posted by Tigahboy

Socalcreations was the lowest price quote I received for any kind of acrylic custom work locally here in L.A. area.  The tank out the door is $350.

What about the stand? any ruff estimate how much you'll be spending on equipment?

Also, Have you had any concern with the weight issue? I live on the 3rd floor and theirs this 60G via-aqua i'd love to have but im afraid it might go through my floor!!!

How do you feel about this?

-Angel

I'm trading my aqua medic ocean light 250w for a custom stand. heheh. I still have to work out the details with the custom stand guy, but I've been too busy to head out to his place out in SFV.

Pumps alone = $300

Stand = Value of my used aqua medic ocean light = $225

Sump/Fug Tank = $100-200

Plumbing Parts = $100

OM Squirt (wavemaker) = $150

RO/DI unit = $125

Auto-top off w/ float switches, etc = $60

Euroreef Skimmer = $265

New Dual 250w MH + T5 03 actinic Lights = $800

MRC calcium reactor - $170

CO2 components for calcium reactor - $200

So my rough estimate for total equipment costs = around $2500 (less if I can sell some of my used equipment and find deals/used parts).

Your tank is nice, but two things make me very sad.

1. The top is so wide. I woulda sprung for thicker acrylic and gotten a euro bracing or braceless

2. The blue background gets annoying after getting covered with coralline. Black is better but that's a personal preference.

The OM squirt makes up for it though. Very nice indeed

holy sh*t... $2500 :(

that's all without liverock/sand/livestock too...

LR is going to be a b!tch to buy... i can imagine ur going to need somewhere around the vicinity of 100+ lbs of LR. i'll agree though, that once u set this guy up, you're going to have a kick-ass tank.... just imagine all the diff sorts of fishies u can keep :P

Originally posted by supernip

2. The blue background gets annoying after getting covered with coralline. Black is better but that's a personal preference.

knowing Tigah, he won't "allow" a single trace of coralline show up on the back wall.... so his blue background would be perfect

Eurobracing would've cost too much for me, supernip. I'm already pushing it w/ the cost of the tank as is. hehe.

And as uchiha said, I won't let any coralline get onto the blue background.

I think weight shouldn't be a problem. I know folks w/ bigger tanks on 2nd or 3rd floor apts. I guess it depends how new your apt is? Just be sure to put it against a load-bearing wall. I figure the whole 8lb per gallon rule would yield around 700lb. I think our floors can handle that.

Acrylic is a lot lighter than glass, so that could help as well.

Geez tigah this is goign to be one killer tank dude. Funny thing is that we are doing a very similar up grade and my calculations dont come out as much, hahaha. I might be doing something wrong here. My math isnt adding up dude, hehe.

Hii there! Been thinking about contacting so. cal. myself to do a cube. They are next door to me almost. ( I'm in Chino). Looking at your returns (so low). Won't you drain your tank if power goes off? Am wondering as I am contemplating my own upgrade.

Archived