Top Shelf Aquatics

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

Angel - I posted this pic on page 7.

67gnew8.jpg

Yes, as mentioned above, the OM 4-way is designed to handle more flow and costs around $250. The OM Squirt is a mini-version of the OM 4-way and it can only handle 1200-1300 max gph. So if you have a pump around there or higher, then you need the bypass so the OM Squirt won't have to deal w/ too much flow.

My Little Giant brand external pump (shown in picture) is rated at 1400 gph, so I needed the bypass or else the OM Squirt would simply stop functioning b/c it exceeded its flow capacity. I hope that makes sense.

Closed Loops do not go thru a fuge/sump/wet-dry, etc. The only function is to boost flow in the main display. So basically it sucks water out and pushes it directly back in via an external pump. Since it's all one closed system, you won't need to worry about back siphoning or water flooding the bottom sump tank b/c it's all just within one tank.

The return pump that pushes water from a bottom sump/fuge tank up to the main display is a part of a separate "open" loop where water is being pushed down into sump tank and then it comes back up to main tank via a return pump. With the whole sump set-up, you have to be concerned about how much water will get dumped into the bottom tank when power goes out and the return pump stops pumping water back up...then you have to make sure the bottom tank can handle the water that dumps down or make sure the returns are high enough towards the top of tank so if the return pump in the sump stops pumping, only the very top layer of water will get dumped into the bottom sump. I'm not good at explaining this stuff so sorry if i'm not making sense here. haha.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel Higuera

I understand. i think I deffinitly need hands-on experience though. Is their any paticular reason you chose the OM instead of the SCWD? The size of your tank maybe?

-Angel

SCWD only has 2 outputs, but having 4 outputs will provide some great randomized flow for the tank.

Also, SCWD's are known to work better for lower flow set-ups. And finally, the quality/craftsmanship of the OMs are far superior to the SCWD in my opinion, and will likely last a lot longer w/o any probs.

reeferbarra20

Yo tigah could you post my tank pics for me? I can send my pics to you and you can post em for me. I can't seem to post the m myself. Every time i try to post it gives me this error message . Warning: imagecreatefromjpeg(): '/home/chris/public_html/gallery/uploads/10713/WAVE_.JPG' is not a valid JPEG file in /home/chris/public_html/gallery/image-inc.php on line 81

Nano Reef Gallery Message

Unable to create image [/home/chris/public_html/gallery/uploads/10713/WAVE_.JPG].

Please contact system administrator.

Tigah,

i got question,

Im building a tank/sump setup now. i have the returns figured out, but i cant seem to find anything on how much of an over flow i will need to drill/cut? Will it only dump out as much as is pumped in? I want my water leval within a half inch to the top. Do you know off your head, or send me in the direction.

Thanks Tigah,

Oh, and you still the man. :)

depends on how big your main display is since that affects how much flow you need. also, will the return pump be your only source of flow? i.e. do you plan to supplement flow w/ closed loops or powerheads?

Sorry, was still editing. lol

My pump is rated at 500, no closed loop, and it will be a 10g/10g. I may add the Squid later.

The idea im goin for, is NOTHING but reef in the display.

MiniReefin - If you plan on just drilling holes towards the top for a simple overflow, I think 2 holes to accomodate two 1" bulkheads would be plenty. always better to have more than you need just in case.

a hole to accomodate a 1.5" bulkheads should be fine too, but one huge hole might look kinda funny.

reeferbarra20: I'll PM you my gmail account.

So are you just going to start a new thread for this tank as soon as you swap over? ;) How is the conversion coming, btw? Did you manage to sell the EuroReef and get that other skimmer? Just wondering when we're going to see this beast stocked. ;)

Yup. This thread is just for set-up details. When I get it running w/ livestock, I'll start a new thread for that.

I did sell my EuroReef to a fellow nano-reefer. I still have to order the new one: ASM G-1. it's settled. hehe.

Unfortunately, things are gonna get busy for me now, so actual stocking of the tank might take awhile. But I'll keep y'all posted. =)

And I'm waiting for my stand to get built by socalcreations, so just waiting for that before I pick up the pace on this project. Hopefully it will be done in 2 weeks tops.

A few ppl been asking me where I got my lights. Chris special ordered it for me before, but looks like nanocustoms is officially selling the aquamedics now, so y'all can get at it for the super low price too.

His price is very very reasonable and cheaper than anywhere else that I've seen at least.

http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/product...96d883d3c554b51

I initially was going to just use 2 Aqua medic 250w ocean lights, but at nanocustom's prices, I figured that I might as well just go for these since it has T5 actinics as well.

67gmh1.jpg

I'm going to mount them to the wall....they could hang, but I'd feel safer having them more securely mounted. either way they will be at least 9" from the top of my tank.

never lay MH lights flat on top of a tank...wayyyy too hot.

like tigah said, it's better off 9'' from the water/tank.

if anyone is gona use these lights, they're gona have to hang that thing or at least get some tall legs to mount it (if it is mountable like that... but i think hanging it is the best method.

i don't want to mention the possibility of MH warping the acrylic if you place it too close to the center brace that most acrylic tanks seem to have for support/stability... one mistake with overheating will cost you the livestock and equipment which is worth more than hundreds, maybe thousands!

Archived