Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

located in the internal overflow box...to keep the overflow quiet.

0225e.jpg

Picture of the drain from the stockman/overflow w/ a pvc elbow.

0225f.jpg

Yes, socalcreations put the standpipe together for me. haha. The person who referred them to me told me that they make very very quiet standpipes, so I paid the extra $ for one.

You mean the hole next to the drain elbow in the pic?

That's actually for the closed loop... I wish I got 2 drains for the internal overflow box, but I only have 1.

Im not sure if you mentioned it before Tigahboy, but that's not painted pine wood right? That looks like a really sharp stand. You dont feel weird about the stand not having that center brace for extra support?

YIKES, hahaha. That makes me nervous dude. I was going over the plans for my stand and he mentioned a no brace thing and I was a bit weirded out. Hahaha.

Wow paint over pine? That looks very good.

Originally posted by Cesar

YIKES, hahaha. That makes me nervous dude. I was going over the plans for my stand and he mentioned a no brace thing and I was a bit weirded out. Hahaha.  

Wow paint over pine? That looks very good.

Supposedly they added wood filler, then sanded, added tons of coats to make sure the wood grains didn't pop out.

They've made a lot of stands w/o center braces, so I guess I trusted their judgement on that. Much easier to work w/ in terms of putting in a sump and moving things around. If you get a center brace, see if you can get it just in the back, so when your tank is all set-up and if you need to switch out the sump, you can do so from the front.

Yeah you have a point there. It would be easier to work with. The stand that I have right now has 2 center braces, one in the fron the other on the back. Yes it's a PITA to work with.

socalcreations

Sorry to steal a bit of your thread Dennis! Hope you enjoy everything!

As far as some of these questions are concerned let me try to answer them.

No Center brace?? Well we built a stand a while back for a 120 gallon tank and used a 2x6 as the header, well this seemed soooo overkill and have since determined that it would take quite a bit of weight (more than just a tank under 100 gallons) to break a 2x4 turned upright (so the thickest part is carrying the load). I have built a couple of stands this way and feel extremely comfortable with this design, and all of the weight of an acrylic tank is evenly distributed on the bottom so no particular part is heavier. Hope this make sense.

Painted Pine??? Well yes it is painted pine, if you don't belive me look back at the previous pics. The way that I got the smooth finish is a couple of steps inbetween the building and the painting, it's my little secret. Okay it's not... I first started with wood filler and that took forever, so I got a great tip from a woodworking forum which recomended joint compound to fill in the grains (why didin't I think of that!). So I started with about 3 coats of joint compound (the stuff used on drywall), and filled in the grains, next I went through and basically sanded most of it off, leaving just enough to fill in the grains. Next was about 2 coats of Killz oil base primer, to make sure everything was filled in and to start a good base coat for the paint, then I painted all surfaces with about 3 coats of flat black acrylic paint, then 3 coats of satin polyurethane, with spar urethane used inside to help protect even more against humidity, of course a light sanding with 400 grit inbetween each coat for a super smooth finish. That's about it!

Sorry again dennis, but these questions must be answered! lol B)

-Randy

SoCal Creations

haha. wow, Randy. I didn't expect you guys to be on here. haha. I posted the pics up over on RC as well (in Socal Forum).

no worries at all, dude. thanks for stopping by!

socalcreations

yea, I can check the statistics on our website and we were getting a whole bunch of people comming from here, so I decided to check it out!

Thanks Cesar! We try real hard to get a good name out there for ourselves and we stand behind the quality and price of all our products. Wow listen to me... sounding like a comercial or something, lol.

The whole bloody thing is amazing, if you ask me! I know that whenever I upgrade, I'll be giving you guys a call. Tigah, check your PM and send me one back! I'm going to sleep since I have to actually get up in the morning. :( Hopefully I'll see you and this beast of a tank tomorrow.

man i've been waiting to hear back from socal creations for a while now! hopefully they'll be able to catch up w/requests and get to mine soon :P

haha. randy and steve are 2 cool down to earth dude.

I was meaning to wake up early today cuz I knew they were delivering, but I was mad tired and couldn't get up. But I heard the door buzzer go off and I went outside to find them chilling out front. haha. sorry for making you guys wait. When you left, I realized I had 3 missed calls from you and I realized then that I probably made y'all wait outside for quite some time. my bad!

socalcreations
Originally posted by uchiha

man i've been waiting to hear back from socal creations for a while now!  hopefully they'll be able to catch up w/requests and get to mine soon :P

Huh??? What request was that. I'll have to go back and check. We usually give back responses within a day or two. Let me know, either pm or send me an email and I'll get you what you need.

socalcreations
Originally posted by Tigahboy

haha.  randy and steve are 2 cool down to earth dude.

I was meaning to wake up early today cuz I knew they were delivering, but I was mad tired and couldn't get up.  But I heard the door buzzer go off and I went outside to find them chilling out front.  haha.  sorry for making you guys wait.  When you left, I realized I had 3 missed calls from you and I realized then that I probably made y'all wait outside for quite some time.  my bad!

Naw we didn't wait at all. Maybe 5 minutes or less. No big deal, we figured you had been up late partying last night so no sweat. We've all been there before!lol

FragPacks.com

Not to steal thunder from Tigahboys thread either... but those looking for high quality aquariums and furniture at a fair price look no further than socal creations. The 56 gallon propogation system seen on there custom aquariums page is actually still in use :)

Originally posted by socalcreations

Huh??? What request was that. I'll have to go back and check. We usually give back responses within a day or two. Let me know, either pm or send me an email and I'll get you what you need.

i sent a PM to you guys just a few mins ago...get back to me via e-mail whenever u have time :)

*sorry for using ur thread as a "bulletin board" dennis :D

Archived