ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy's 67g Reef Project

Tigahboy

Hey Tigah - might I suggest eductors on the returns for the closed loop? You'll pick up 4 times the flow, but it'll be in tank so you don't have to worry about the extra draining for the extra flow. You might also be able to do fewer returns that way and make your plumbing a little simpler. Just a thought. What you've got looks awesome though....well thought out.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ravenmore7

Hey Tigah - might I suggest eductors on the returns for the closed loop? You'll pick up 4 times the flow, but it'll be in tank so you don't have to worry about the extra draining for the extra flow. You might also be able to do fewer returns that way and make your plumbing a little simpler. Just a thought. What you've got looks awesome though....well thought out.

Thanks for the input. I kind of like having lots of returns tho. Eductors wont do much if I added it to the 2 lower CL returns and left the 2 higher CL returns eductor-less, rite? I definitely need to do more research on them. thanks again for the suggestion!

They're huge though. From what I know, I think they work like a venturi, sucking in water by force. I think you can do without them, as I heard they create a lot of turbulance. If in doubt, just add a pair of seios in the back of your rocks. Hide the cords well, all will be dandy. Just my .02

I just threw the suggestion out there as I'm thinking of installing a closed loop in my 75 with a couple of eductors. (I ran across this thread as I was researching pumps). I recently added added an eductor to my return and I was blown away with the results. They add a lot of motion to the water, but the flow is very broad. I immediately saw it kick up detritus on the far end of the tank. The flow is very much like a SEIO or a Tunze Stream - moves a lot of water in a broad gentle flow. On my tank I think two would be enough. They also are a lot smaller than a SEIO, that's for sure. Plus no chords in the tank....no extra electricity, ect... They also create a lot of extra flow from your closed loop without having to match the extra draining. Hope you don't mind the suggestion, I found them to be an elegant solution in my situation and thought I'd mention it. :D

I bought mine from KTH sales for $25. You have to specify black, and Ken over there will chat your ear off. :D Nice guy.

Unfortunately though, you'd have to put them on all returns to the tank I think. If you don't, the pressure will just go out the return without the eductor.

Some folks in RC brought up this issue as well and had some good ideas. I think either I might have to skip the bypass line and have both lower holes/drains feed the pump to reduce the suction...OR...place a T-union on one of the 1" drains to help split the suction as well. Still haven't figured it out yet...I need to play around w/ the plumbing parts (i.e. buy them) first to have a better idea of how to address that issue.

That's an amazing stand. Isn't that tank going to put a hole in your floor and your downstairs-neighbor's roof? ;) Very glad to see that it's all coming together! Still have to let me know when setup and transfer day is so I can bum a ride out there!

Went to Home Depot tonight to pick up some plumbing parts to work on just the closed loop portion (OM Squirt) of the overall plumbing system. I only ended up buying enough (hopefully) to work on the plumbing that connects the pump to OM, then OM to tank. and that already came out to around $40! sheesh. haha.

0221a.jpg

But I found an ebay store that sells the black bulkheads for only $2.99 each! cheapest I've found at least. So I bought the 3/4" bulkheads for all the returns and the 1" bulkheads for the 2 drains. total came out to just a little under $30 shipped. not bad for 8 bulkhead fittings in total.

here's the link: fish asylum

Good luck! I ended up spending $150 on plumbing before it was all over. That goes largely because I bought the non-white pvc though, which cost a lot more.

Originally posted by Cesar

Hey Tigahboy my offer still stands dude. If you need me for pick up method.

Thanks, dude. I actually decided to have them delivery it. Only $30 so I figured it was worth it.

Archived