Tigahboy's Reef 2005

Tigahboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Travis

Tigah, if your tank was a woman, I'd marry her :D

lol...too funny, man... Hands off! :

Okay, I actually haven't thought about taking pics of my fish...so I dont have much to offer.

I found this one pic of my black perc who jumped into the photo of my candy cane:

1213e.jpg

I'll try to take more fish pictures soon.

Those full tank shot are looking so sweet dude. I just realized something, I want more LR. I want to make a mountain lookind thing like yours. I dont mean to steal your ideas but the tank looks fantastic.

Tigah, I am getting the Aqua Medic 250w MH and I was just wondering what bulb you have in yours? It really makes the tank look beautiful.

It also looks like all the corals are growing well because of your light. I was wondering if any of your corals were growing at an alarming rate and if you have had to frag anything because of it?

20K. I love these lights...not TOO blue like other 20K bulbs. Just get the aqualine AB bulbs tho. I haven't tried the XDE so I can't guarantee it will look the same as mine for those bulbs.

I don't think any corals (other than xenia) could grow at such an alarming rate that it would be a nuisance. I sold a lot of stuff here and there (not cuz they were too large tho) and bought new frags, so my tank hasn't just chilled long enough for crazy growth....so it will be quite some time before I'll have to frag things out of necessity.

HAHA...yes. it's been said. And i just have it off for the time being. My other one got ripped when I was doing maintenance and I haven't replaced it yet.

This has to be the coolest SPS tank that I have seen, honestly. I have seen another one that it somewhat of an overkill. So envious, darn it. Hahaha.

Originally posted by VicSkimmr

Hey Tigah, why are you planning on running both the SWCD and the OM?  After I moved my tank, I decided to just plumb my mag 7 into the tank, and I was very surprised at how much flow it's putting out now that it isn't being split, I almost don't need a closed loop, but I'm going to add it anyway since I've now spent more money on it than I have on my lighting system, lol.

And another idea would be to plumb the returns from the OM underneath the tank and hide it with your rock.  I'm sure you've already given this consideration though as we've talked about it before.  I can't wait to see the end result :)

That's good that you bring this up, since I still need to refine my plumbing design.

I figure that since I don't want too much flow rushing down into my fuge, I'll just keep it at 650 gph for the return (what I have now) and only 650gph would therefore be moving into my fuge, much easier to baffle. And since I currently use a SCWD, I just decided to go ahead and use the SCWD for the new tank.

And of course the returns after the SCWD would not be sufficient for my tank and SPS, so I wanted to make up for the difference by just beefing up the closed loop via an external pump. I considered having the returns for the closed loop coming from the bottom, but in the end I don't want to deal w/ having to cut my stand to accomodate this. Also, I could just have the return come in from the back very low to the bottom and have the return tubes facing upwards, but for some reason I feel like this could just lead to a lot of debris and detritus being kicked up from my sand bottom 24-7. So I wanted the flow to come from the top instead.

Also, since my tank will be rather long (48"), I wanted to have 2 returns from the closed loop in the middle portion of my tank to help reach the areas the two returns on the ends wouldn't be able to reach. The 2 other returns from the closed loop (and OM squirt) would be more towards the middle back, pointing away from each other towards the ends of the tank...this is to ensure that there won't be any dead spots around the back area and the ends of the tank (a problem I see right now in my current set-up).

Please feel free to add other possibilities and point out any potential problems w/ my plans/reasoning for the plans.

Okay...fragged my first acan. lord. today. I was kinda nervous since it's a pricy coral. Anyways, busted out my handy dremel and sliced thru the frag like hot knife thru buttah (ok, maybe not THAT easily). It wasn't a perfect cut, but everything survived and looks good at the moment.

The things I do just to keep my promise to the "acan twin." Such a tiny polyp tho, hopefully it will grow quickly for ya, uchiha.

Here's the pic:

9221acanfrag1.jpg

hey Tigah,

can you take a few pcitures of the returns that are split from the SCWD? my 28 long is 18" high and my flow towards the bottom SUCKS. are your returns pointing down or more flat across?

mine are pointing slightly upwards...so it arches - up then down...the 2 returns are pointing towards the middle of the tank and when the flow meets (somewhere in the middle front), the downward end of the "arch" becomes more rapid and turbulent (which is a good thing) around the lower parts.

But as I mentioned earlier, I don't think I have a sufficient return pump since the SCWD reduces the flow overall.

Oh, and the upward pointing returns help to break up the surface and I don't have that oily film you see from time to time.

I'll try to post pictures soon tho if that doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

Okay...fragged my first acan. lord. today.  I was kinda nervous since it's a pricy coral.  Anyways, busted out my handy dremel and sliced thru the frag like hot knife thru buttah (ok, maybe not THAT easily).  It wasn't a perfect cut, but everything survived and looks good at the moment.

you know i appreciate it ;)

i owe you one in the future :happy:

Yeah, I'm violating my own "no discussion of plumbing" rule, but I'll just break it this one time. You lucky, Speez...

Here's one of the returns (right side).

1215a.jpg

Here's the top view of returns...right side on (by SCWD)...

1215b.jpg

Left side on...

1215c.jpg

Yeah, travis..i agree. I originally chose flexible tubing cuz it seemed to make less noise and less points in the plumbing that could potentially leak...but I'm gonna completely hard plumb my upgrade, so I might just leave it as is for this one since everything will be moved over anyway.

Archived