Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy's Reef 2005

Tigahboy

Originally posted by ryux21

a little skunk cleaner shrimp caused all this drama?

Not sure. I'm not one to jump to conclusions, so I'll just say that the shrimp finished it off (which is what it should be doing). So that probably means that it was dying and the shrimp smelled dead flesh and proceeded to have a big meal. Hard to believe the perc directly caused all this, so I'll just assume she just made it worse....she better back off from my acan lord tho. I noticed she tried to do that w/ one of my acan lord frags, but I put a net right next to them and she was too scared to get close to it.

Whatever...it's pretty much dead now. It sucks, but these things happen...it was such a beauty. I doubt I'm gonna find another like that anytime soon for the price.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to agree, the cleaner shrimp is just doing his job, I've never had one actually eat a coral that wasn't already on it's last leg.

I wish I had some experience with acan's, maybe they're just really fragile when it comes to being bumped?

My LR is finally done curing. It took exactly 2 weeks (started the process on Dec. 4th). My nitrites were being a little stubborn for the past few days, but they finally test zero as of today:

cured.jpg

So I'll hopefully get to reaquascape w/ LR tonight and post pics later.

And I finally settled on the design of the tank. I submitted the specifications w/ my payment to Socal Creations and they'll be taking it from there. They've been totally helpful in my planning stage and have quality custom experience. Can't wait to see the end product.

It should be finished on January 17th.

The final details:

67g - 48x18x18"

3/8" thick acrylic

Black Acrylic back

Black center back overflow

9 holes drilled

-1 drain (1.5" bulkhead)

-2 returns (3/4" bulkheads - same for rest below)

-4 OM returns

-1 OM intake

-1 OM bypass line

67gfinal.jpg

Originally posted by Dan_G25

I recognise that test kit..... the ammonia card is a pita, all the colours look the same.

Haha. yeah. I think I've gotten used to it tho. I compared the color for my curing water w/ my main tank's test results, and it helps a lot to see the difference.

Funny. I know how that feels (i'm either partially colorblind as well or maybe just REALLY crappy at distinguishing colors). My gf verifies all the results for me. I can usually take it from there. But my calcium test is impossible for me. You have to just see when the color changes to another and no paper color chart to compare to. impossible for folks like us. oh well. hehe.

definitely invest in some salifert test kits with your new tank....It is a way more accurate kit than the one you are curently using

I use the salifert ph, nitrate, calcium, DKH, phosphate...they are all on the money!

that 65's gonna rock!

Hehe. Yeah, I bought them on sale at this place called Tong's (so they were like 15 bucks actually). I think they are accurate enough for these basic water parameters. In any established tank, you won't or shouldn't at least see any detectable levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, and pH shouldn't be a problem either so long as it is consistent.

So as long as I can read "zero" on the test results, and get a consistent pH reading, I think that's fine.

But I definitely see the need to buy better tests for calcium, KH/Alk, phosphates, etc....and I do use Salifert for those.

I just spent the last three hours re-aquascaping everything to accomodate my cured LR. I had a couple of close calls w/ some SPS almost getting crushed, but everything made it thru just fine. I feel like I should've gotten even more LR since I couldn't do exactly what I intended w/ the new aquascaping. anyway, I'll post pics once the tank clears up a bit.

Originally posted by Tigahboy

I just spent the last three hours re-aquascaping everything to accomodate my cured LR.  I had a couple of close calls w/ some SPS almost getting crushed, but everything made it thru just fine.  I feel like I should've gotten even more LR since I couldn't do exactly what I intended w/ the new aquascaping.  anyway, I'll post pics once the tank clears up a bit.

tigah,

you gonna put all the new rock, with the old rock, or All new

tank.

sorry , if this questin sounds redundant.

I put the new rock w/ the old rock...and when I get the new tank (by Jan. 15th), I'll have even more LR curing and add that to all the LR I have currently in my 30g.

Here's the finished product...it's a bad pic, but my camera was running out of batteries, so had to take it fast:

1219b.jpg

And this is what it looked like before:

1219a.jpg

god, Damn,

Tigah,

you the man, i just wish my tank would ever look even close to yours " )

good job!!!

i cant wait for the un_nano!!

you need a new thread, just for the new unnano tank!!

Archived