Pod Your Reef

Airedale.Reef

Airedale.Reef
4 hours ago, Crawford_T said:

After I added my Hammer Coral I had to bump the MP10 down, right now I’m at 20% reef crest but I may play around with other modes. Short Pulse seems to net good results with LPS but I need to research more. 

Levels are looking good. I hate to admit that I actually haven’t tested Mag, Cal or Alk yet…. 

As long as the corals are happy, we should be good haha. Funny you should mentioned short pulse...The main mode on my 8g is short pulse, maybe 20% with .75 time variation. My LPS almost bounce with that mode, but seems to work the best compared to Reef Crest or Lagoon in that particular tank. 

For this tank, I am hoping to get that true random, swaying flow. I believe I can accomplish this with Lagoon mode, but like you, will test more once I get coral in place. 

I am only testing these particular levels at this stage in the game mostly due to mixing my own water. The salt I chose was IO Reef Crystals, and I am more curious to know these levels to help establish a baseline...With LFS water, I was really only concerned with NO3 and PO4 until my tank really settled and I was seeing coral growth. At that point, phosphate and nitrate were pretty predictable based on my feeding schedule/water changes, so it was mostly monitoring ALK. 

Airedale.Reef
3 hours ago, anizato said:

On the MP10 I personally use Reef Crest, but in the second mode. Some modes have two 'sets'.. Once you select the Reef Crest, click on the middle button, and it will flash the 2nd and 3rd lights on the board (as opposed to the 1st and 2nd lights), that means you have activated the second 'set' within the mode. Torches and anemones love this setting. 

Yes, agreed! I believe you are referring to Lagoon mode (Second yellow option). I have the MP10 ES on my 8g tank, and have to manually adjust each setting. Unfortunately, it only allows for one mode at a time, unless manually adjusting and isn't Mobius ready 😕 . I am betting that Lagoon mode will be the best for this current tank. 

3 hours ago, anizato said:

MP10 are unbelievable. I have had mine since 2014. Never failed. Great money spent. It would be nice if they could go a little less than their minimum, because I can never run it at more than 30%. 30% in the 10gal is full strength in here, So it is always at the minimum. I ramped it up for fun before adding livestock... 🤪almost made a mess but it was cool to see what the pump is capable of 😁

I am not the biggest fan of the price point, but agree that it is well worth the money. It packs a punch, Mobius ready, and obviously no wires in the tank!  I would like to see how a Nero3 compares personally, but ultimately very pleased with the Vortech. 

Even on my 30g I am only running 40% max. It would be nice to utilize 75% or something but nonetheless it does the job, and leaves us with more power if needed. First world wave maker problems hahah

• Haha 1

I have 2 MP10’s now sat in a drawer having opted for the Nero 3. It's personal preference but both pack in a lot of power and performance.  The main difference for me is the aesthetics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Airedale.Reef

Woke up to a nice dusting of diatoms this morning. Who knew algae could be so exciting?! 

Halloween Hermit is already on the job 👍

IMG_0726.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
Airedale.Reef

Thanks @Crawford_T I do not take many photos of hermits, or inverts for that matter lol, but couldn't resist here. Definitely the biggest hermit i have ever had in a tank. 

• Like 2
ml86743
21 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Woke up to a nice dusting of diatoms this morning. Who knew algae could be so exciting?! 

Halloween Hermit is already on the job 👍

I think we all know that feeling too well...:)

• Like 1
Airedale.Reef
19 hours ago, Kev1n said:

Seeing an image of this hermit crab may change my outlook on CUC. Love it.  😃

Yes! Let's Go! Hahah: )

It has been fun watching it make tracks over the sandbed the last few days. No coral in the tank quite yet, so not overly cautious at this point. 

• Like 2
anizato

These hermits are awesome! I wonder how big it will get! You'll probably have to supply a slightly larger Trochus snail so he can eat it and grow into it's shell. 

• Haha 1
Airedale.Reef
2 hours ago, anizato said:

These hermits are awesome! I wonder how big it will get! You'll probably have to supply a slightly larger Trochus snail so he can eat it and grow into it's shell. 

They are quite big, but nothing compared to land hermits. I think the only competition for shell real estate would be something similar to a conch. Not planning to add one so, and I think there will be plenty of time to grow into the current shell lol. 

• Like 1
Airedale.Reef

As my fish and other livestock plans are nearing, I decided to move forward with ordering a lid for the tank. Cheers to the good folks at @Kraken Reef for their great designs, as well as customer service. Within a few days, they were able to create a custom product line for my tank dimensions, and should have it to me within a few weeks. Solid, first class service! 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Airedale.Reef

Yeah, overall it was a good experience. A+ 

The only downside was the pricing. In fairness, I  did shop around, and most other companies were pretty competitive. Kraken reef was on the higher/premium end of the pricing but so far I’ve been pleased. 

do you have a lid or plan to have one in the future? I’ve never been a fan of lids and think an open top is just so clean. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Crawford_T
2 minutes ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Yeah, overall it was a good experience. A+ 

The only downside was the pricing. In fairness, I  did shop around, and most other companies were pretty competitive. Kraken reef was on the higher/premium end of the pricing but so far I’ve been pleased. 

do you have a lid or plan to have one in the future? I’ve never been a fan of lids and think an open top is just so clean. 

I looked at Kraken but ended up going DIY with the BRS kit and some rimless corners from neat aquatics. The whole lid sits flush with the top of the tank, super clean. $50ish all in I think.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

As my fish and other livestock plans are nearing, I decided to move forward with ordering a lid for the tank. Cheers to the good folks at @Kraken Reef for their great designs, as well as customer service. Within a few days, they were able to create a custom product line for my tank dimensions, and should have it to me within a few weeks. Solid, first class service! 

That will look smart. I approached Kraken but they do not ship to UK. I sourced similar over here though.

• Like 2
Airedale.Reef
22 hours ago, Kev1n said:

That will look smart. I approached Kraken but they do not ship to UK. I sourced similar over here though.

In the realm of lids….

your selection of lid, light, fan combo is second to none. Very clean 👌🏽

I definitely took some inspiration. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

In the realm of lids….

your selection of lid, light, fan combo is second to none. Very clean 👌🏽

I definitely took some inspiration. 

Thank you for the kind words. 

Airedale.Reef

After 10 full days of travel across the pond (England/Scotland), I am happy to report that the tank is in one piece as I left it.  This house isn't flooded, and the ATO reservoir still has loads of water.  At this point, we are full steam ahead for stocking plans. More updates later this week I am sure. 

But first, after 18 hours of travel, I am off to bed for a proper snooze! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
Airedale.Reef
18 hours ago, Kev1n said:

I hope you enjoyed your trip through England and Scotland? 

Yes, we had a wonderful trip, thank you! The wife is a bit homesick for the UK today, but we were both happy to sleep in our bed after the long travel days. 

Unfortunately, we did not make it to any fish stores, but I did get to explore a beach in Isle of Skye as we stopped at a local shellfish shack on the side of the road. We spent most of our time in Drumnadrochit (Loch Ness) in a cozy Air BNB, with the family. We didn't see the monster, but I definitely believe haha!

We took a few days trips to visit local distilleries as well as Glascow, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye. The days were filled with family, scotch, chasing waterfalls and castles, and simply taking in the beautiful scenery! Scotland is a lovely country and I would highly recommend it!

Here are a few photos from the trip

IMG_1559.jpeg

IMG_1545.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2