Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxspect Dice AIO Nano

KevMax

Maxspect Dice AIO Nano

I have been keeping marines for quite a few years and have downsized to my current new setup, a Maxspect Dice AIO Nano reef tank. The system holds 12 gallons and is now in its 7th week. So far, so good.

I built the small reef structure outside of the aquarium using Caribsea Liferock. I used my own RO/DI water and RedSea Salt. After the water reached an appropriate temperature and salinity I added a shallow sand bed using Caribsea live sand. As soon as the water cleared I used ATM colony to very quickly allow me to add a clownfish that came from my previous SPS setup.

My gear includes:

AI Blade Grow which had to be replaced as the first unit I received did not work properly.

AI Nero 3, currently waiting for a replacement as the first unit was faulty and running very loud.

DD H2Ocean ATO

100 wt titanium heater.

TMC compact 1500 return pump. DC and controllable.

Additional biological filtration is provided by:

Maxspect Nano-Tech Biosphere balls

Maxspect Nano-Tech Clear Cubes 

So far I am enjoying the simplicity of this small reef system. I am going through a few expected “blooms” and just patiently sitting this period out. In a few weeks time I will review progress and make a decision about additional stock. I am sure that I will come across some problems as this system progresses and will likely ask for some input. 

Thanks for reading.

Kev

nano_DxO_DxO.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2

Thanks.

I bought the Blade and the Nero in the same order. Both faulty. To be fair the supplier has already replaced the Blade and the replacement Nero will be despatched later this week when they restock. It's annoying but these things happen, not getting too upset by it, although it does leave me questioning the quality of AI products.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
KevMax
7 minutes ago, Crawford_T said:

Your tank is incredibly clear. 

Many thanks. Pleased with progress so far as this system settles in. I am sure that there will be some challenges in the months ahead.

geekreef_05

Interesting that your two AI items came faulty. I have an AI prime and Nero 3 on my waterbox 20. I honestly think very highly of them. Hope the replacements work as intended! 

Your reef looks great. Its a nice aquascape! Looking forward to seeing how this evolves! 

• Thanks 1
KevMax
31 minutes ago, geekreef_05 said:

Your reef looks great. 

Appreciate this. Thanks dude.

The AI kit was I am sure simply bad luck for me. The replacement blade is fine and working great. I am still waiting for the Nero 3 but I am expecting it very soon. I am thinking about buying one of the new AI Axis return pumps for this system. Then the lights, wavemaker and return pump will be all on the AI app.

• Like 1
  • KevMax changed the title to Maxspect Dice AIO Nano
ml86743

Did that lid come with the kit too?

Tank look great, I've always loved the simple look of a stand 12 gal AIO.  Can't wait till it starts filling in!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
KevMax
12 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Did that lid come with the kit too?

Tank look great, I've always loved the simple look of a stand 12 gal AIO.  Can't wait till it starts filling in!

Thanks for the positive comment. Appreciated. I am looking forward to getting some coral in there.

I purchased the lid as a separate item, not the cheapest option, but it looks nice to my eyes. 

ml86743
11 minutes ago, KevMax said:

Thanks for the positive comment. Appreciated. I am looking forward to getting some coral in there.

I purchased the lid as a separate item, not the cheapest option, but it looks nice to my eyes. 

Kraken?  I thought that's what is was initially. 

KevMax
1 hour ago, ml86743 said:

Kraken?  I thought that's what is was initially. 

I am on the other side of the Atlantic. The lid was supplied by a UK company.

KevMax

Date

Salinity

Nitrate

Phosphate

Calcium

Magnesium

Alkalinity

PH

2 Apr 2024

9 Apr 2024

16 Apr 2024

23 Apr 2024

30 Apr 2024

7 May 2024

Overkill, but I have been measuring parameters since 2nd April, week 3, just to confirm where the numbers are landing. I have not started any dosing for calc / mag as there is nothing to remove these elements from the water as of yet. Alk looks ok and is currently being topped up by 50% water changes every second week highlighted by the blue cells. I am happy with these figures. 

Phosphate and nitrate may need a little bit of work. 

I will be letting this system continue with no further changes for the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
KevMax
1 hour ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Any first coral ideas? 

I think I have made my mind up to focus on Micromussa Lordhowensis type coral. I think lots of differing colours would look really nice. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
anizato

Very nice setup man. I like the stand/drawer you are using. It's like a cottage elegance, it gives it a nice look. Looks like our tanks are the same star sign 😄

I have had good experience with my AI light fixture. It's the same lamp since 2017. I only had to replace the LED-puck (which is the plastic covering that has little magnets for each LED) because the original melted because my noob-ass had it on too high for too long, I told AI about this and they not only replaced the puck, they sent me two! They also recommended I set up my lamp to use one of the expert-series program schedules and my tank has never had lighting issues since. 

That is a fancy ass fan my friend. Looks like a spaceship!

Yo, what test kits are you using? I still haven't decided what to get for reading pH.

So the Micromussa Lordhowensis is going to be the main focus of this tank? Do you already have it in another one of your tanks?

What about fish? Do you plan on adding any more fish?

• Like 1
geekreef_05
6 minutes ago, anizato said:

Very nice setup man. I like the stand/drawer you are using. It's like a cottage elegance, it gives it a nice look. Looks like our tanks are the same star sign 😄

I have had good experience with my AI light fixture. It's the same lamp since 2017. I only had to replace the LED-puck (which is the plastic covering that has little magnets for each LED) because the original melted because my noob-ass had it on too high for too long, I told AI about this and they not only replaced the puck, they sent me two! They also recommended I set up my lamp to use one of the expert-series program schedules and my tank has never had lighting issues since. 

Yo, what test kits are you using? I still haven't decided what to get for reading pH.

So the Micromussa Lordhowensis is going to be the main focus of this tank? Do you already have it in another one of your tanks?

Have you considered a pH probe vs test kit? Give yourself a live reading. Usually has temp too.

They are not expensive these days and beats testing 

anizato
11 minutes ago, geekreef_05 said:

Have you considered a pH probe vs test kit? Give yourself a live reading. Usually has temp too.

They are not expensive these days and beats testing 

Yeah I was looking at the HM digital 200. Do you recommend one? What do you use?

KevMax
14 hours ago, anizato said:

😀 Thanks. The cabinet matches other furniture in the living room. I keep a few bits and pieces such as test kits, glass cleaner etc in the drawer. The cabinet hides a 5 litre ATO reservoir.

I have had good experience with my AI light fixture. 

I like the simple look of this light. The specs suggested it was more than adequate for my nano. I have a Radion XR15 from my previous reef tank as a fallback. But, I doubt the Radion will ever be needed. 

My preference is for a simple minimal look, keeping things like wiring out of view. Some equipment can be a distraction. The fan fits the aesthetics I am trying to achieve. I am still waiting for a replacement Nero 3 but this will not change the look when it finally arrives and gets installed. 

Alk / Nitrate / Phosphate - Hanna checker

Calc / Mag / PH - Salifert test kits. I am considering Hanna checkers for mag and calc. I will not be monitoring PH for much longer.

Salinity - Hanna salinity tester calibrated monthly, which is regularly double checked by a DD H20 refractometer, calibrated every 2nd month. I am considering a Milwaukee salinity checker.

Temp - DD heat controller connected to a titanium heater and the Tunze cooling fan.

All of the Lords will be newly purchased frags, with hopefully a good colour mix. Whilst this is the plan, if for any reason it is not working out, I am not against changing things. 

Now we get a little bit controversial. 🙂 I was about to put a Cherub Angel (Centropyge Argi) into the nano from my previous SPS setup. I was really annoyed with myself as I had kept this fish for 5 years. It jumped when I had the lid off at the time of stripping down my previous aquarium. I may well be getting another. I just love this busy small Dwarf Angel. The current Clownfish I have had for 3 years. Not my personal favourite in a nano. I am think about taking this fish out and replacing it with a Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish (Plectranthias inermis).

• Like 1
KevMax
13 hours ago, anizato said:

They also recommended I set up my lamp to use one of the expert-series program schedules and my tank has never had lighting issues since. 

Please can you tell me where I can find the AI Blade programme schedules? Thanks.

anizato

Sorry about the fish! Jumpers are always a pain in the gut, no? It's like, what? you didn't like your new house?

I highly recommend you do the Milwaukee Salt Checker... BEST thing I've bought for my tank since the RODI.

7 hours ago, KevMax said:

Please can you tell me where I can find the AI Blade programme schedules? Thanks.

Yes, on the main website, it's the link that says "signature"

https://www.aquaillumination.com/lightsciences/signature-series
I use David Baxby's... if you youtube his tank you will see why.

KevMax
18 minutes ago, anizato said:

I highly recommend you do the Milwaukee Salt Checker... BEST thing I've bought for my tank since the RODI.

I think you have just helped me with the decision.  😀

18 minutes ago, anizato said:

Appreciate the link, thank you. I am in France for a week right now, but as soon as I get home, I will be taking a look.

• Wow 1
anizato
5 hours ago, KevMax said:

Appreciate the link, thank you. I am in France for a week right now, but as soon as I get home, I will be taking a look.

Dude! that's hella cool! where in France? business or pleasure? any aquarium visits while you are there?