Coral Vue Hydros

Maxspect Dice AIO Nano

Kev1n

geekreef_05
1 hour ago, Rhetoric said:

Heya,  I don't know how much "reefing" content you consume but Sanjay and Mike Palleta are talking about Ammonia.  Some very interesting things coming out of the science based community.  I think Keith had them both on Rapping with Reef bum recently.  Pretty interesting stuff.

I'm always drawn towards the piece of the community that isn't trying to sell me something.  

They're probably talking about products like zeovit. 

I read about them as well. 

The idea is that zeovit is capturing and eliminating ammonia before it turns into nitrates. Its basically a live bacteria solution. This would help to manage nitrates.

Im attempting to emulate that with microbacter7. Its just alot easier and cheaper to dose. Maybe it works, maybe it doesnt. Gonna see what happens! 

• Wow 1
geekreef_05

Wow. That was a phenomenal read.

Sanjay did have long term success prior to this knowledge and implementation though. And then at somepoint things changed, took a dip and he responded with this idea he read from a paper a decade ago. Fascinating stuff.

I like how they refer to it as the "concoction" lol. Looks like...alot of extra work to dose that slurry Cant wait until its available in a bottle and hope it doesnt clogg my dosing lines lol. 

Really riding a line, dosing ammonia, but extremely interesting innovation for the future.

• Agree 1
On 5/19/2024 at 4:15 PM, geekreef_05 said:

I like how they refer to it as the "concoction" lol. Looks like...alot of extra work to dose that slurry Cant wait until its available in a bottle and hope it doesnt clogg my dosing lines lol.

🤣

It is indeed really walking a line. And for an average reefer like myself, its not something that I will spend much time thinking about it. 🙂

• Like 2

Well, after a relaxing 8 days in France I arrived home and my nano was in good shape. A quick clean of the glass and it is looking very tidy. It looks like the occasional new tank “blooms" have disappeared so all is good. I am picking up a Royal Gramma later this week, maybe even tomorrow. I will be placing an order for some Micromussa Lordhowensis for delivery next week.  

An image at week 10.

week 10.jpg

• Like 5

The day gets better, 50 days after placing my original order, I have received a Nero 3 that has quickly been installed with all wiring as tidy as can be. It appears to be working. 😀

Nero 3.jpg

Tidy Wires_DxO.jpg

• Like 2
geekreef_05
On 5/19/2024 at 11:22 AM, KevMax said:

🤣

It is indeed really walking a line. And for an average reefer like myself, its not something that I will spend much time thinking about it. 🙂

While I sipped my morning coffee on the patio, i watched the reefbum episode with Sanjay and the energitic other dude. Great conversation. 

It was fascinating. Basically Sanjay and the other guest are using Ammonium dosing to feed corals and carbon dosing to control nitrates. Carbon dosing also feeds corals through boosting live bacteria populations.

Sanjay brought his nirtates down from 90 to 5 using this method. 

Really gave me some great info to think about. 

Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, KevMax said:

The day gets better, 50 days after placing my original order, I have received a Nero 3 that has quickly been installed with all wiring as tidy as can be. It appears to be working. 😀

Nero 3.jpg

Tidy Wires_DxO.jpg

Looks great! Glad to see the nero 3 working well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Airedale.Reef

Always a good day when new equipment arrives! Gad to see you finally have resolution regarding your Nero! Tank is looking tip top, and excited to see what becomes of it! 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Always a good day when new equipment arrives! Gad to see you finally have resolution regarding your Nero! Tank is looking tip top, and excited to see what becomes of it! 

I am quite excited.   Whilst I have been into the hobby for years and this really has taught me to be patient, it does not dull my excitement.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just back from the LFS.  2 new fish to keep the Clownfish company. 

1 very small Hi Fin Checker Hawkfish (aka Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish).

1 Royal Gramma.  

I am undecided about keeping the Clownfish. 

As things stand, that’s definitely it for fish.  

• Like 2
geekreef_05

Thats pretty cool. Im not sure ive ever seen that fish before. 

Does it perch like other hawkfish? 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Thats pretty cool. Im not sure ive ever seen that fish before. 

Does it perch like other hawkfish? 

I only came across it when researching fish. I thought it would make a great addition and added it to my wishlist. I reserved a Royal Gramma and took a trip to the LFS to pick up the Gramma when I saw the Hi Fin Checker looking at the Gramma from the next tank. Thats what you call luck because it's the first Hi Fin Checker Hawkfish I have ever seen. 😀

It does perch like a Hawkfish. It is actually in the Anthiinae family of fishes so it's  more related to Anthias. They are commonly named Hawkfishes as they resemble Hawkfish in shape and behaviour. 

All new additions are accounted for this morning. 

I am seriously debating whether or not to remove the Clown and replace it with a Springers Damsel.

First Micromussa corals are arriving on Friday. But before that, I am off the see Bruce Springsteen tonight. It's a good week. 😁

• Like 3
Airedale.Reef

What an awesome fish, and good photo! I too had to look it up when you first mentioned it…a lucky encounter indeed. A reef safe hawkfish that doesn’t eat ornamental shrimp. I may add this to my list 😁

also, BRUCE!! Enjoy the show 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

What an awesome fish, and good photo! I too had to look it up when you first mentioned it…a lucky encounter indeed. A reef safe hawkfish that doesn’t eat ornamental shrimp. I may add this to my list 😁

also, BRUCE!! Enjoy the show 

It is a lovely little fish to keep and yes, very safe in a reef tank. Big appetite too and quickly settling in to its new home.  Mind you, I did pop the fish guard on the Nero 3 just to be sure of no accidents. 

Springsteen was great. It was a miserable and rainy NE England night. But what a party! A night to remember.

Bruce Springsteen.jpg

• Wow 1

The Gramma is now spending time out in the open and not just making an appearance for food. I just love the colours of this naturally shy fish. 

IMG_6851_DxO.jpg

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Crawford_T said:

I’ve been thinking about adding a Royal Gramma to the tank, I’ve never had one before. 

I do think they provide a wonderful splash of colour.

Airedale.Reef
6 hours ago, KevMax said:

It is a lovely little fish to keep and yes, very safe in a reef tank. Big appetite too and quickly settling in to its new home.  Mind you, I did pop the fish guard on the Nero 3 just to be sure of no accidents. 

Springsteen was great. It was a miserable and rainy NE England night. But what a party! A night to remember.

Bruce Springsteen.jpg

Very Awesome - glad to hear it was a great show! Speaking of Eastern England, I will actually will be visiting some family in the UK in a few weeks (My wife is British). Hoping to check out a LFS or two if timing allows. 

Glad to see both tank mates eating and getting along! Great colors on both fish! 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Airedale.Reef said:

I will actually will be visiting some family in the UK in a few weeks (My wife is British). Hoping to check out a LFS or two if timing allows. 

If it's the NE you are visiting I could recommend some really good quality LFS. 

• Wow 1