Cultivated Reef

Maxspect Dice AIO Nano

Kev1n

anizato

I was actually looking at a Royal Gramma last week at the LFS. They are stunning in person. Is it eating pellets or are you only feeding frozen?

23 minutes ago, anizato said:

I was actually looking at a Royal Gramma last week at the LFS. They are stunning in person. Is it eating pellets or are you only feeding frozen?

They are stunning. At the moment I have only tried frozen mysis but I will soon test the Gramma with other foods. It certainly is not lacking appetite. 

• Like 1
Airedale.Reef
11 hours ago, KevMax said:

If it's the NE you are visiting I could recommend some really good quality LFS. 

We are actually going to be in the southern part of the country (Norwich area - Go Canaries), but will be making our way up to the Scottish Highlands. Should be a good time, and happy to see if any LFS might be on our way. Obviously, not looking to purchase any livestock, but always wondered what selection other countries kept in stock vs here in the US. 

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

We are actually going to be in the southern part of the country (Norwich area - Go Canaries), but will be making our way up to the Scottish Highlands. Should be a good time, and happy to see if any LFS might be on our way. Obviously, not looking to purchase any livestock, but always wondered what selection other countries kept in stock vs here in the US. 

Nice part of the world to visit around Norwich. When travelling north a great LFS is The Reef Experience in Durham. 

Airedale.Reef
9 hours ago, KevMax said:

Nice part of the world to visit around Norwich. When travelling north a great LFS is The Reef Experience in Durham. 

Ah, Wonderful! Thanks for the recommendation - hoping we will get to check it out! 

11 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Ah, Wonderful! Thanks for the recommendation - hoping we will get to check it out! 

Not to worry if you don’t. 😀

I hope the weather picks up for you. It has not been great these past few weeks.

• Thanks 1

Not a great image, but I did manage to snap a first shot of the Springers Damsel with my Iphone. This fish is today starting to make tentative trips out of the rock work. 

Springers Damsel.jpg

• Like 5

Here are the Acans (Micromussa Lords). They are filling out nicely after just over 24 hours. But they are the first. Leaving them on the sand for a few days. 

Acans.jpg

• Like 5
anizato

nice!

i don't know what you are talking about your acans have awesome colors!

what is your lighting schedule? are you using one of the signature series?

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, anizato said:

nice!

i don't know what you are talking about your acans have awesome colors!

what is your lighting schedule? are you using one of the signature series?

Thanks man.

Using the Saxby signature schedule that you told me about.  It is running an acclimation programme at the moment though, another 28 days until full strength.

• Like 1
anizato
9 minutes ago, KevMax said:

Thanks man.

Using the Saxby signature schedule that you told me about.  It is running an acclimation programme at the moment though, another 28 days until full strength.

cool! I have about 20 days left for full strength.

Saxby's schedule yielded great results for me in the past. He is a pioneer.

• Like 1

Not going to add anymore stock for at least a few weeks now.  Let things settle down.  Then I will hunt down some more Lords.  

• Like 2
geekreef_05
5 hours ago, KevMax said:

Here are the Acans (Micromussa Lords). They are filling out nicely after just over 24 hours. But they are the first. Leaving them on the sand for a few days. 

Acans.jpg

Nice! 

Those look great. 

• Agree 1
Airedale.Reef

Nice shot! Clean tank all the way around! I also think the lid and light combo add such a modern feel to the overall look. Very sharp 👌🏽

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Nice shot! Clean tank all the way around! I also think the lid and light combo add such a modern feel to the overall look. Very sharp 👌🏽

Appreciated.

I am really enjoying this aquarium. My best move so far has been removing the Clownfish. Sand excavation is now history. The Clown was worse than an MP60 running at 100% power. 🤣🤣🤣

Right, I need to get on with a water change. Feeling a bit tired after a late night watching the Indy 500. What a race!

Airedale.Reef

Clowns being clowns lol. Yes, the sand is pristine as well. Are you planning to siphon/vacuum the sand bed, or just leave it be? 

What a race indeed! I was actually watching the F1 race last Monaco. Good, long weekend so far! 

The sand gets a turned over once every week. Shortly after this I pop in a new filter sock. 

I watched the F1 Monaco race yesterday too. But, compared with the Indy 500, it was a bit dull. Indy is the better series. 

• Like 2
Airedale.Reef

Thanks for sharing! I have always relied on my CUC for sand aeration but obviously it is nothing compared to vacuuming each week. I am still undecided which direction I will tank my current tank. I guess I have a few weeks to figure it out. 

Agreed - A lot more acton with the Indy 500. It was an exciting race, although I felt bad for the two rookies lol. Great back and forth all the way to the last few laps! 

• Like 1
anizato

yeah F1 is definitely going through a phase... cars are too big, too much drama in corporate, bla bla.... it'll get better soon, it has to.

I am team 'sift sand as much as possible and vacuum religiously.'

In my experience not turning your sand constantly is a bad idea. Especially in our small tanks. Because if you by mistake happen to move it, or something gets stirred that shouldn't you'll spark a spike and have to deal with a possible crash. Our tanks aren't large enough to have a sitting sandbed, those need to be very deep as far as I understand.

I've had too many bad experiences with that spike thingy. 

16 minutes ago, Airedale.Reef said:

I am still undecided which direction I will tank my current tank. 

By the time you get back home from the UK I am sure that you will have a plan.

18 minutes ago, Airedale.Reef said:

Agreed - A lot more acton with the Indy 500. It was an exciting race, although I felt bad for the two rookies lol. Great back and forth all the way to the last few laps! 

Yep, the last few laps were unreal. Detroit street race this coming weekend too.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, anizato said:

yeah F1 is definitely going through a phase... cars are too big, too much drama in corporate, bla bla.... 

🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, anizato said:

I am team 'sift sand as much as possible and vacuum religiously.'

In my experience not turning your sand constantly is a bad idea. Especially in our small tanks. Because if you by mistake happen to move it, or something gets stirred that shouldn't you'll spark a spike and have to deal with a possible crash. Our tanks aren't large enough to have a sitting sandbed, those need to be very deep as far as I understand.

I've had too many bad experiences with that spike thingy. 

If you have sand, you need to look after it. Turning it over regularly takes no time at all. It keeps it fresh and clean. Thats why i don't put coral on the sand, it gets in the way of turning the sand over. If you don't mow the lawn it quickly looks a mess. 😁

• Agree 1