inTank Media Baskets

Airedale.Reef's IM Fusion 30 Long

AiredaleReef

AiredaleReef

After success with an 8g desktop reef, my wife has given me the approval for a second tank in the house. Big win for me here, as the tank will be located in our front room and not hidden and tucked away in my office.

I have always been drawn to a longer style tanks, and decided to start there! In short, I spent hours watching tank set ups, reading journal threads, viewing instagram accounts, and finally landed on the one! An Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 30Long ! 

Display Tank: 

Innovative Marine Fusion 30 Long (36" L x 15'' W x 13'' H)

15 lbs Tideline Reef Rock Branch 

30 lbs CarribSea Fiji Pink

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals 

Lighting:

2x Kessil A160WE TunaBlue 

2x Kessil Mounting Arm 

Kessil Spectral X Controller 

Flow: 

VorTech MP10mQD

Innovative Marine 476 return pump 

Heating: 

Eheim Jager 100w 

Inkbird ITC 306T+ Controller

Equipement:

Tunze Osmolator 3152 ATO

BRS 5 Stage Premium Plus 75gpd RO/DI System 

IMG_0505.jpeg

• Like 2
AiredaleReef

Now for one of my favorite parts of setting up a new reef tank - The Aquascape! 

I decided to use Tideline branching rock for this tank. Let me know your thoughts on my scape.

IMG_0531.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
AiredaleReef

Thank you! The rock work took a few attempts at the LFS, but finally pieced it all together. Yes, along with the longer style tanks, I also prefer a deeper sand bed. The plan is to add a 3 inch sand bed using, CaribSea Fiji Pink. If all goes accordingly, I hope to have the sand and water added to the tank by this weekend. 🤞

Justind823

Nice setup! Looks like your house has a nice aesthetic. Will you be transferring the 8G into this? Do you pics of that other tank?

AiredaleReef
3 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Nice setup! Looks like your house has a nice aesthetic. Will you be transferring the 8G into this? Do you pics of that other tank?

Thanks very much - my wife will appreciate this comment 🙂 No plans to transfer anything out of the 8g at this point. Besides the weekly water changes, feeding, and occasional parameter check, it has settled in nicely. I regretfully didn't start a journal or thread with that tank which is why I chose to start one with the 30long. Most pictures and videos can be found on instagram for that tank @airedale.reef but here is a quick screenshot. I'll continue to post the progress of the 30l on that account, but will probably not document the 8 gallon. 

IMG_0547.png

• Like 1
AiredaleReef
On 4/23/2024 at 1:42 PM, ml86743 said:

How are you going to light it?

I will try to harness the power of the sun using two Kessil a160we. They will be mounted using the Kessil Arm instead of the gooseneck as I thought it was a more streamlined look. I think the Kessil AP9X would have been a better look, but they were a bit out of my price range... I told myself it would be overkill for the tank and moved on 💸

I also added a smart light strip (phillips hue) on the back of the tank for aesthetic purposes. 

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

220C588E-CF78-4B59-80BA-03233805FB7E.jpeg

• Like 2
ml86743

They look great on there! Curious too see how they work out, I have been looking into a few different fixtures myself..I think we’re at relatively the same dimensions give or take. 

• Like 1
AiredaleReef

I hope to get the tank filled with sand and water this weekend, as I am curious to see how the tank looks under the lights. I have a 5 stage RODI system from BRS and will be mixing my own salt this go around. For years, I have hauled 5 gallon buckets to my local fish store and decided I had enough of that! I have even purchased those 5g boxes of water from Petco in a jam. More on water, salt and mixing later from me I am sure! 

I have the gooseneck on the 8g and it looks fine. I just wanted a more streamlined look and felt the mounting arms provided that. @ml86743Let me know what you decide to go with on your tank! 

• Like 1
AiredaleReef
1 hour ago, Crawford_T said:

Nice! My Kessil A160 is getting delivered tomorrow, absolutely love the natural shimmer out of them. 

Oh such a good day for you tomorrow! I LOVE the minimalist factor, and the color blend/shimmer always catches my eye!  Have the best time setting it up and enjoy that shimmer!!

AiredaleReef

30 pounds of freshly spread Fiji Pink sand! I originally planned for a 3" sand bed but after review, I felt that 2.5 was a much better look...Can't really tell given the dirty, smudgy glass, but saltwater is currently mixing and should be added to the tank tomorrow. Then the real fun begins. 💪

IMG_0557.thumb.jpeg.0a07e2fb2fe7ab00980aaa6351dea0a4.jpeg

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, AiredaleReef said:

Thanks for the boost of confidence, @Crawford_T. The sand cloud was very prevalent, but after 48 hours the tank cleared up. 

Current ammonia reading is still at 2ppm. Hoping that nitrifying bacteria kicks in soon lol 👊

You may have already mentioned it but how are you cycling? Dr. Tim’s? 

18 minutes ago, Crawford_T said:

You may have already mentioned it but how are you cycling? Dr. Tim’s? 

Yes, I am fishless cycling using Dr. Tims One and Only. I actually prefer IO Bio-Spira, as have used that on many tanks over the years, but couldn't seem to find it anywhere. This is my first time using Dr. Tims, but I expect the same results...

I added a little over 5ml of Ammonium Chloride to achieve an Ammonia level of 2ppm. I'll continue to test/add ammonia until the tank can successfully process the dosed ammonia down to .25ppm in a 24 hour period. I know this usually takes a few days, but it will give me something to do while I patiently wait 😂

12 minutes ago, AiredaleReef said:

Yes, I am fishless cycling using Dr. Tims One and Only. I actually prefer IO Bio-Spira, as have used that on many tanks over the years, but couldn't seem to find it anywhere. This is my first time using Dr. Tims, but I expect the same results...

I added a little over 5ml of Ammonium Chloride to achieve an Ammonia level of 2ppm. I'll continue to test/add ammonia until the tank can successfully process the dosed ammonia down to .25ppm in a 24 hour period. I know this usually takes a few days, but it will give me something to do while I patiently wait 😂

This was actually my first time using it too. It took longer than I expected. It took until day 22 to get my nitrites to bottom out. I also didn’t take out my filter sock like it recommended so I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it. Overall though I’m happy with the results, I always waited a month or so to add fish anyway so it wasn’t a big deal. 

9 hours ago, Crawford_T said:

This was actually my first time using it too. It took longer than I expected. It took until day 22 to get my nitrites to bottom out. I also didn’t take out my filter sock like it recommended so I’m not sure if that had anything to do with it. Overall though I’m happy with the results, I always waited a month or so to add fish anyway so it wasn’t a big deal. 

Interesting. It doesn't seem like it should take 3 weeks for the nitrification process to come around. I know the bacteria settles on hard surfaces, so unless you removed the filter socks during the process I would not think that was the reason for the extended period. I too generally wait before adding livestock...I like to build up the biofilter as well as get the tank acclimated to the lights. 

7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Man, the IM30L is still the most favorite of all my tanks so far.  this one is shaping up real nice 😍

Aw, thanks for the kind words! Something about the longer style tanks always get me! Hopefully this one will live up to yours! 

• Like 1