SaltCritters.com

Ratvan's Fluval Spec 3 - [THREAD CLOSED - LEAK]

Ratvan

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I agree in fact I was going to mention someone did it with Bayers. Peroxide is safe to clean abrasions and cuts on humans so to me that was not much of a stretch. Still to go and try a new one is risky. I just glad it didn't nuke the corals.

H202 isn't known in the same fashion in the EU and UK, in fact it can be quite difficult to come-bye. It's an extremely-potent oxidizer and when concentrated is far more caustic than many lab-grade acids. The US takes it mildly mostly because of the ready availability of very diluted solutions, the only thing keeping it from dissolving away layers of your, and your animal's, skin are mucosa.

Here's a fun quote:

"In acidic solutions, H2O2 is a powerful oxidizer, stronger than chlorine, chlorine dioxide, and potassium permanganate. When used for cleaning laboratory glassware, a solution of hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid is referred to as Piranha solution."

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Thrassian Atoll

Bayer always killed my shrimp.  No matter how well I cleaned the coral after the dip.  Not using that stuff ever again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, Amphrites said:

H202 isn't known in the same fashion in the EU and UK, in fact it can be quite difficult to come-bye. It's an extremely-potent oxidizer and when concentrated is far more caustic than many lab-grade acids. The US takes it mildly mostly because of the ready availability of very diluted solutions, the only thing keeping it from dissolving away layers of your, and your animal's, skin are mucosa.

Here's a fun quote:

"In acidic solutions, H2O2 is a powerful oxidizer, stronger than chlorine, chlorine dioxide, and potassium permanganate. When used for cleaning laboratory glassware, a solution of hydrogen peroxide and sulfuric acid is referred to as Piranha solution."

Yeah H2O2 is difficult to get here unless you get a load of food grade stuff. But what am i going to do with 10 gallons of 9% H2O2

11 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Bayer always killed my shrimp.  No matter how well I cleaned the coral after the dip.  Not using that stuff ever again.

I did do some reading before trying this, found a few threads around UK forums where people have been using it for years (seems to be the UK Bayer), the ingredients of the Dettol was the most important part, as well as figuring out how much to dilute. The fact it also emulsifies is irritating but no worse than clove oil does. 

• Like 2

Everything looks alright today, no further recession of tissue on the Rocky Road Montipora.

Plan to do a water change at lunch time as well as clean the glass and rockwall, looking to pick up some more Frags next week so will start thinking about where I plan to place these Montipora's within the tank

Will pick up the Setosa, Green and Red Monti cap and the Blue Pavona (Clownfish Cube)

Untitled.thumb.jpg.eb643c150dd9b6598d4af281920d3aae.jpg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Don’t bleach everything, that looks extremely bright😂

Lowest setting 😧

Scrubbing about furiously for the ceiling mount to raise it at the moment

I have a PAR38 Bulb but that is even brighter

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Don’t bleach everything, that looks extremely bright😂

It looks like a cobbled-together advertisement straight from a chinese webpage for them lol, just add 5-minute photoshopped tangs and some acros.

• Haha 4
9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I have a PAR38 Bulb but that is even brighter

If you can mount it, then at least you have room for a diffuser layer on top of the tank.   (e.g. sheets of paper until you can get something more durable like corrugated plastic)

9 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I can never tell if you're being sarcastic

That's the internet.  So-called "Poe's law".  See also: Post-irony

Veiled sarcasm generally only "works" for the sender on the internet.  To others it usually just looks like they said something weird that's not quite 100% in context.

We've known and talked about this phenomenon online this since (at least) the 1980's.

I guess it's fine to give this Poe chap from 2005 the credit.  LOL

(That "LOL" is the tag that makes the sarcasm translate even a little bit from that sentence, right??)  🙃

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

If you can mount it, then at least you have room for a diffuser layer on top of the tank.   (e.g. sheets of paper until you can get something more durable like corrugated plastic)

That's the internet.  So-called "Poe's law".  See also: Post-irony

Veiled sarcasm generally only "works" for the sender on the internet.  To others it usually just looks like they said something weird that's not quite 100% in context.

We've known and talked about this phenomenon online this since (at least) the 1980's.

I guess it's fine to give this Poe chap from 2005 the credit.  LOL

(That "LOL" is the tag that makes the sarcasm translate even a little bit from that sentence, right??)  🙃

To be fair, my entire family practices a form of sardonism most folk don't catch

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Did the damsel survive?

Spinel is on death list

16 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

Your going to keep at least one salty tank??

Yup. 5g cube. 

I took it out the skip and left it in the warehouse to dry out

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

So have had a look at this tank this morning, I honestly cannot see where the water is escaping the tank. The silicone seems fine. Unless it is hitting the lid and then "overflowing" down both of the sides 🤷‍♂️ I plan on re filling at lunchtime and seeing if I can replicate the tank emptying before making any decisions