Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ratvan's Fluval Spec 3 - [THREAD CLOSED - LEAK]

Ratvan

OK so re filled, no obvious water loss. Had a play with the Powerhead and pointed it down to see if that helps. 

IMG_20200317_122025.thumb.jpg.677ee71a5003c5124e7365e2f9b5e20c.jpg

Spotted one of the Red Headed Gobies in the RSM so transferred the barnacle across, still one left in there somewhere

IMG_20200317_122825.thumb.jpg.0228f382ac600ac267394560103ef6dd.jpg

Will add the other as and when I find/catch it

• Like 4
SaltyGallon

Yesssss, she lives! What do you reckon caused the water level to drop?! When I saw the photo of the tank drained I assumed that you'd emptied it yourself!

Just now, Azur said:

Yesssss, she lives! What do you reckon caused the water level to drop?! When I saw the photo of the tank drained I assumed that you'd emptied it yourself!

Haha no i was swearing at it through the window, just a little too large a skull to break into the office fully.

No idea, had it filled since 9am and absolutely nothing. Its possible that the powerhead in the display got dislodged and made it overflow but that would have stopped once the water level dropped just below the pump... which didn't happen originally. The salt marks were weird though, looked like it had built from the bottom corners up the side 🤷‍♂️

I'll make a final decision on Friday

IMG_20200317_122025_resized_20200317_122859240.jpg

IMG_20200317_122825_resized_20200317_122859031.jpg

Thrassian Atoll

That’s crazy!  Sorry it happened to you.  I have never seen water just disappear like that and not be able to figure out what caused it.

• Thanks 1

@Ratvan I swear to heaven, once you finally get a stable tank going it's gonna be a wonderful sight to behold, because every ounce of bad luck waiting in the whole rest of your reefing life is being used up right now. 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

That’s crazy!  Sorry it happened to you.  I have never seen water just disappear like that and not be able to figure out what caused it.

10 minutes ago, billygoat said:

@Ratvan I swear to heaven, once you finally get a stable tank going it's gonna be a wonderful sight to behold, because every ounce of bad luck waiting in the whole rest of your reefing life is being used up right now. 😂

Hey one thing I learned about MTS is to spread the damage. I still got the 5.5g up as a temp holding tank for some Montis, a Pavona and an Acro that I thought would look terrible but the Asta is actually making it look nice

Found some ply at home so could always block off whatever leaks and just pray it holds water for a year. 

Plan on splitting off the Setosa and splitting down that horrific graft, the green will split and I'll have two so spares

IMG_20200317_204812.jpg

IMG_20200317_204854.jpg

IMG_20200317_204839.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Azur said:

Dodgy seals then? This is quite the mystery.

Possibly I can trace the drips from the top down, wondering if it's the lid

IMG_20200318_091239.thumb.jpg.713cb35f3e7f465d619d539bc6733a3d.jpg

Will leave it open tonight and see what happens tomorrow

Managed to catch the other Goby this morning, so the pair have been re united in the Pico

159502270_1491573877_RedHEad2.thumb.jpg.4b33fa5388f06deb38a00f916fdf5f50(2).jpg.1c7d3d3a2940bfbdde016086ed4627d9.jpg

1582281616_1524585054_RedHeadedGoby.thumb.jpg.d3d62c187f0a8302627ae51d67b506f0(2).jpg.7e0d85ae326e37d71e9dc0becc792c9f.jpg

So lots of thinking last night about the fate of the tank, I plan on leaving it lidless over night (I have some mesh to place over the top to stop jumpers), I will wait until Friday for the final decision as to whether the tank is water tight or not. If it holds water I plan on ordering from JBS Marines (my favourite online shop) and have a really simple stocking of Zoas

• Like 3
EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Ugh.  You need to burn some sage or find that tank voodoo doll.  You are having a time.  

Good call on the lid.  I have something similar that happens based on my lid's clip and I'm ocd on dirty glass.  I am not certain if that's your situation but it is a decent suspicion.  Is your water level that high?  

Glad the gobies are ok!

• Thanks 1
Just now, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Ugh.  You need to burn some sage or find that tank voodoo doll.  You are having a time.  

Good call on the lid.  I have something similar that happens based on my lid's clip and I'm ocd on dirty glass.  I am not certain if that's your situation but it is a decent suspicion.  Is your water level that high?  

Glad the gobies are ok!

Its about 3/8" down at the highest point of flow. I'm not certain either but its my best guess at the moment

I have seen others mention that those little nubbies on the lid wick water up and cause salt creep in the corners. I believe some people just break them off. 

I run my fw spec with a much lower water level and have no issues with the lid. 

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I have seen others mention that those little nubbies on the lid wick water up and cause salt creep in the corners. I believe some people just break them off. 

I run my fw spec with a much lower water level and have no issues with the lid. 

Snip snip it is then

So seems to work best either lidless (still have the gobies) or with the lid placed on upside down so that the nubbinz dont enter the water. I have a meeting alter today regarding working going forwards so will wait on that before making the final decision, if i continue I will place a single order and hope for growth and colour 

IMG_20200319_083136_resized_20200319_111637674.thumb.jpg.b9025fdd05f3e4ce15a1e26146ca4ee7.jpg

• Like 4

OK so I have had to issue a notice to the office that we will have to reduce the numbers of people working in the office at anyone time, thankfully I am able to keep the office open and dont have to make any redundancies (this was a massive worry. Since I am able to be in the office every day or at least 3 times per week i have decided that I will carry on the tank. 

Not sure when stocking will happen, or what I will do (fingers crossed for Bonus) but glad to say I am not having to give up yet.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

OK so I have had to issue a notice to the office that we will have to reduce the numbers of people working in the office at anyone time, thankfully I am able to keep the office open and dont have to make any redundancies (this was a massive worry. Since I am able to be in the office every day or at least 3 times per week i have decided that I will carry on the tank. 

Not sure when stocking will happen, or what I will do (fingers crossed for Bonus) but glad to say I am not having to give up yet.  

What industry do you work in?

Just now, Ratvan said:

Construction 

My wife is the technical director for a construction company and it’s difficult at the moment, they have had to open the sites from 5am to 7pm and stagger the trades to minimise the amount of people on site at anyone time. The funny bit is that because they don’t have anyone to chat with, they have finished 6 houses 4 days ahead of schedule! Hope all is ok with you and good to hear the tank lives!

• Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

My wife is the technical director for a construction company and it’s difficult at the moment, they have had to open the sites from 5am to 7pm and stagger the trades to minimise the amount of people on site at anyone time. The funny bit is that because they don’t have anyone to chat with, they have finished 6 houses 4 days ahead of schedule! Hope all is ok with you and good to hear the tank lives!

Same situation here, opened the office on weekends as well so people don't have to struggle so much with child care. 

Services up here have said after this month, no new houses will get fitted with gas or electric. So I know some engineering firms that want to work so will have to do some jigger pokerry with contracts but fairly sure I can keep running until end of June. 

I don't get why sites would be affected, I could get all my roads, sewers and services in as everyone would be outside

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Same situation here, opened the office on weekends as well so people don't have to struggle so much with child care. 

Services up here have said after this month, no new houses will get fitted with gas or electric. So I know some engineering firms that want to work so will have to do some jigger pokerry with contracts but fairly sure I can keep running until end of June. 

I don't get why sites would be affected, I could get all my roads, sewers and services in as everyone would be outside

Outside or not, if they are getting in to close contact, sharing facilities (toilets etc) they are going to spread the virus!

i just think we need to have 2 weeks national holiday shut down (government can give businesses money to pay staff) and the curve will flatten down a bit. 
At the moment I just don’t think we are taking things seriously enough. My friend who works in the hospital said they prepared and increase capacity to double what it would have been, however even with the increase capacity they have already reached 86% from 33% in 48hrs. Southampton and reading are calling to see if they have space because they have both exceeded capacity already.

its good to hear your ok and plodding on! Who do you work for? Housing?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Picogoby said:

Outside or not, if they are getting in to close contact, sharing facilities (toilets etc) they are going to spread the virus!

i just think we need to have 2 weeks national holiday shut down (government can give businesses money to pay staff) and the curve will flatten down a bit. 
At the moment I just don’t think we are taking things seriously enough. My friend who works in the hospital said they prepared and increase capacity to double what it would have been, however even with the increase capacity they have already reached 86% from 33% in 48hrs. Southampton and reading are calling to see if they have space because they have both exceeded capacity already.

its good to hear your ok and plodding on! Who do you work for? Housing?

It's a massive overkill and over reaction to a f*cking sniffle with a new name. The financial issues are so much more serious than the health ones but no ones talking about that. Just dumb retarded c*nts roaming around profiting off of idiots panic

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

It's a massive overkill and over reaction to a f*cking sniffle with a new name. The financial issues are so much more serious than the health ones but no ones talking about that. Just dumb retarded c*nts roaming around profiting off of idiots panic

Regardless of what Tories and alt-outlets are saying 40% of those between 25-45 who contract, and become symptomatic, will end up with severe symptoms, 60% of those over 60 will.
Of those as many as 1 in 7 ages 25-45 and 1 in 4 over 60 will need emergency care.
Of those who need emergent care 30% or more of those over 60 will need intensive-care, and around half of those will die - for those between 25-45 only around a third will die.
Those with heart, blood pressure, or diabetic-complications can add 30% to all the above statistics and will usually die from renal, heart, or liver-failure as opposed to bilateral-pneumonia. It's also a few-dozen times more infectious than the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

This is a SARS variant, Italy has around 1/10 succumbing with a healthcare system vastly-superior to most first-world nations (that includes britland).
No matter how angry you are, or how hard you believe, it isn't going to change reality; I mean, honestly man, if you really want - get a mate to waterboard you for 72 hours and then pretend you died after that, then come back and tell us how it's no big deal 1 in 5-10 seniors are going to go through it.

Sorry, it sucks, but this is more important than short-term financial-concerns, in fact, had appropriate-actions been taken initially it would have cost everyone less money, time, and family-members, but people weighed the finances and decided to wing-it for a few months instead.

The issues we're having are from chronic-underreaction and a refusal to defer to experts instead of markets.