SaltCritters.com

Ratvan's Fluval Spec 3 - [THREAD CLOSED - LEAK]

Ratvan

Yeah and probably will shut down this thread and the majority of my others shortly as well. Speaking with a few of my preferred LFS in the area and since the Covid 19 situation they have been re evaluating their stocking levels. With the popularity of freshwater and exotics pets being on the rise two of my three stores have decided to cease trading Saltwater Goods apart from Dry Goods. So no livestock. The other store is thinking about reducing their stocking levels of saltwater further since the ration was 80:20 in favour of Fresh anyway i dont think it will look too good for me to get livestock on a regular basis. 

I also think that the next 6 months are going to be so much harder than they already have been, so I have decided to Cash Out now while I can and get knuckle down through the coming storm 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The supply chain will take time to fill back up. If ever. I think a lot of stores will close or go fresh like your talking about. When and if you do find salt water live stock on line or in a store the prices will be out if my reach. I hope reefers will be willing to give other reefers deals to keep the hobby going. 

41 minutes ago, karisma said:

Im curious to know if a shroom survived at least?!

That would be remarkable if I hadn't emptied the tank completely of water over a month ago, even more so since it was Montipora only.... 

Frag Factory

You're not the only UK guy losing a few LFS's, my favourite one in Preston has been shut entirely. His wife is going through Chemo and can't risk getting infected... He was already struggling.

Such a shame, the guy works his balls off and always has time to help people with solid advice. I'm hoping to upgrade soon and planned to buy all my gear from him but I'm not sure if there will be a shop left when this is over.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Frag Factory said:

You're not the only UK guy losing a few LFS's, my favourite one in Preston has been shut entirely. His wife is going through Chemo and can't risk getting infected... He was already struggling.

Such a shame, the guy works his balls off and always has time to help people with solid advice. I'm hoping to upgrade soon and planned to buy all my gear from him but I'm not sure if there will be a shop left when this is over.

I spoke with my brother today down in Lancing, the shop there is doing the same. Had a really cool no contact system for in store purchases as well. (heated bucket round the back lmao) but he just can't get any stock. At least 3 months to restock fully that's if anythings avaliable. Heard some people gave him some colonies to tide him over but 🤷‍♂️

Hard to spend on a hobby when there's nothing to buy

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

We only just got the Bali imports back as well...

Thinks will be strange for a long time.

I reckon this will kill the pub trade, I'm shocked in going back to work. Happy but just waiting to see what happens next. Might buy a few houses if the market crashes hard enough..... 

• Like 2

Do a tap water test! I'm very curious about your findings.

For me, and many others I think, it's still a no-go and kind of taboo to use tap water.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DNR88 said:

For me, and many others I think, it's still a no-go and kind of taboo to use tap water.

I probably will to be honest, I have a survivor. I think this is/was Ulva thats had no heat, light or water movement, next to the bodies of hide and seek champions

IMG_20200504_095839.thumb.jpg.8fd54a0f501a04b8186688770ad52a9e.jpg.a300b22468f4dfef8f3f06fc015a5d87.jpg

Just need some Salt, probably grab that from home tomorrow as well as test the pump, light and heater 

• Like 5

I also figured out why the Kessil A80 wasn't working, seems I have the spectral controller for the A360WE attached. I had thought they would share the same version of controller but seems not.

The Chinese BlackBox and the Par 38 Bulbs including goosenecks also work, I have left my Tunze 6015 in the RSM to keep the water moving and will be taking my Jeboa SW2 home. 

Lunch time i plan on filling with tap water and turning on pump and heater.

Will salt it tomorrow 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DNR88 said:

I maybe wrong but i think that @debbeach13 is running the Non 365 Contest Tank tank on tap? 

4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

That cleaned up pretty good.

Spoke with the E Store that is delivering to me on wednesday, they have supposedly added a Frag Frag to my order as I spent over a certain amount? 🤷‍♂️

Depending on what it is, might find a home for it in here Thursday.

Oh and this Friday is a bank holiday so 4 day work week

• Like 3

Its salty again, salt I brought in mixed to 1.024. I forget to bring in the light as well as a couple pieces of live rock to dump in the back and start cycling, oh well can do that tomorrow. I should get the delivery for the 5G Home Reef tomorrow so depending on what the Bonus Frag is I could potentially add that next week depending on the cycle 

IMG_20200505_085318_resized_20200505_093638751.jpg

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Nice - are you gonna elevate the bulb a bit? 

Most likely going to run the ASTA 20 over this or the chinese black box, this bulb is cool and all but it is 18W so potentially a little too strong.

I also dislike the colour it puts out

• Like 1
debbeach13

Stop trying to make all these decisions on your own. A FTS with each light is required and the followers will vote.

JK You have the best view and know which look you are going for.

• Haha 3
12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Stop trying to make all these decisions on your own. A FTS with each light is required and the followers will vote.

JK You have the best view and know which look you are going for.

It'll be even worse when it comes to coral selection 😄

• Haha 4