Pod Your Reef

Need fast cycle or instant even better

karen nation

Please don't attempt to help newbies now that you're a pro.  That is a terrifying thought. This has been the most difficult and frustrating cycle of all time and it's still not over.  

You say that people on here don't know a thing about a fishless cycle otherwise they would tell you to dose to 2ppm ammonia.  It literally says that on the bottle of Dr. Tim's.  Here i googled " Dr. Tim's ammonia dosing" and the 1st thing that pops up is below.  That took me literally 3 seconds and you have been researching for weeks and weeks.  You've gotta be joking that you're blaming people on here.

Instructions - Add the appropriate amount of DrTim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria to your aquarium. Then add 4 drops of Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride solution per gallon of aquarium water to achieve an ammonia concentration of 2 mg/L-N (2ppm) of ammonia.Feb 1, 2019

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We have all been trying to help and leading you in the right direction but I don't think you understand the nitrogen cycle and how it works or why you cycle a tank in a certain method.

Unfortunately there are MANY ways to cycle a fishless tank.

I have never cycled the 7+ reefs I have had with ammonia dosing, not everyone uses this process.

Cycling all depends on the set up. Sand and water does nothing for a cycle.

Ammonia dosing doesn't garner a faster cycle. On average 4-8 weeks, longer if shit is done wrong.

Ammonia  dosing like Dr Tim's is to start a cycle with dry rock when there is NO ammonia present. This doesn't mean that ammonia and bacteria on their own won't develop, they do and will just takes longer. The ammonia dosing is just a quick start to provide a food source for bacteria(it doesn't mean the tank will cycle faster)

You started the tank and then had familial issues so you couldn't dose ammonia with the caribsea, which is rock that is injected with bacteria spores...during that time ammonia started developing and bacteria was building. This is what naturally happens and therefore you didn't need to dose ammonia because it was already there!

0.25 ammonia, 4 ppm of nitrite, and high nitrate =cycling. That is the normal process of cycling. This is what is meant to happen.

Ammonia rises and processes- converts to nitrites which rise and process into nitrates. Nitrates are reduced by a large waterchange once ammonia and nitrite are 0. 

Regardless if its 1920, 1950, 1980, or 2020- the nitrogen cycle has not and will not change. Its science.

At least 5 members advised to add biospira and leave the tank alone until ammonia was 0 and nitrite 0 (which you were close to as nitrites often process quickly)

The confusion is coming from getting advice from so many sources and not truly understanding the nitrogen cycle or the various methods of cycling.

• Like 7

If you have ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, you have an amount of both types of bacteria needed. That's FINE. Sometimes it happens. Cycles generally don't do that, but it happens. The fact that you had nitrates means your cycle was almost complete. 

STOP DOING THINGS. If your ammonia goes over 5ppm (which it really shouldn't without provocation), do a water change. If not, do nothing. Leave it alone. Stop testing it every day, you'll just drive yourself nuts. Every few days is fine. 

Also, just because it's in an article on the Internet DOES NOT MEAN it's reliable. Anyone can post any nonsense they want. In particular, be wary of anywhere trying to sell you something. 

Look, cycling is simple. Add a bacteria source (rocks, bottled, whatever), put some amount of ammonia in. 2ppm is good, but any amount will work- plenty of tanks cycle just fine without more than .25 of ammonia. Continue to put ammonia in so that the bacteria are fed. Test water every few days. Ammonia goes up, ammonia goes down. Nitrite goes up, nitrite goes down. Nitrates go up. Sometimes those things happen at the same time. Let them do that- the bacteria will figure it out. If you add too much ammonia and the ammonia goes crazy high, do a water change. Otherwise, don't touch it. 

When you see that you have no ammonia and no nitrites during a water test, you test your cycle. Add enough ammonia to hit 2ppm (or thereabouts) and leave it. If there's no ammonia or nitrites in 24 hours, congratulations, your cycle is done. 

Alternately, if you want an instant cycle, there is one thing you can do. Go and get some really good live rock. Not "seeded", really good stuff covered in bacteria and life. You can order it online from plenty of places, or some LFS will sell it. Take that rock, put it in your tank, test the water. If there's a lot of die-off (and ammonia), you're looking at daily water changes for a week or two until the things stop dying. Once things stop dying and rotting, the bacteria already on the rock will thrive, along with all the other fun stuff. If you want NO cycle, splurge on one of the places that will ship the rock in water, and there'll be minimal die-off. This method is EXTREMELY effective and results in huge bio-diversity, which means minimal algae spikes and a stable tank, plus you get all that developed-for-years bacteria living on the rocks. If you do that, once the die-off is over, you can have a tank that's nearly as stable as if it's been there for years. 

Basically, don't get caught up in the sunk cost fallacy. Start over. Keep the sand, remove the rock unless you really like the shapes of it. Do it the rock way this time. 

• Like 5

Y'all getting trolled. Anyone that thinks that a tank can cycle instantly must have just beamed in off the bridge of the USS Nutjob.

You can use bacteria daily to help with the cycle, but the amount of ammonia in the system will still be enough to cause stress/disease/death to the tanks residents. I don't give a shit what Dr. Tim says, it's not gonna work. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank, PERIOD!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 3

The scariest thought is that there are supposedly fish and corals on the way or about to be bought because BY GOD fish must be used as part of the cycling. Poor livestock. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't say that it's impossible to cycle a tank instantly. Enough added bacteria that are already on a good substrate (i.e. ones in rock, sand, and/or filter media) will do the job. You do have to stock lightly, because the tank isn't well-established for awhile, but you can do it. Like how, if you have a cycled tank, transferring most of the hard surfaces to another tank will mean the other tank is cycled. The fastest way to do that with a reef tank is to use good live rock that's either been pre-cycled for you, or has been shipped in water direct from collection. Bottled bacteria will do the job fast, but do need some time to establish, and may not work well (or at all) if there isn't enough life in the bottle. 

But you can't cycle a tank from dry rock/seeded rock, with minimal bacteria, and have anything happen fast. That's the problem here, that and the not listening. 

OP, if you're not going to take the advice, stop posting. Save us all some frustration.

• Like 3

Coming from someone who has worked wholesale 

Do not put much too much faith in your "live" sand, especially if purchased during winter months.

The pallets are not kept in climate controlled spaces and it is not uncommon for the bags to be kept in well below freezing temps for extended periods  .

• Like 5

This whole thread has been a case of Dr Google or Professor YouTube, versus people with long experience who actually know what they’re talking about and free to help. Information is great and all, but also as dangerous as fire.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Jmevox said:

Please don't attempt to help newbies now that you're a pro.  That is a terrifying thought. This has been the most difficult and frustrating cycle of all time and it's still not over.  

You say that people on here don't know a thing about a fishless cycle otherwise they would tell you to dose to 2ppm ammonia.  It literally says that on the bottle of Dr. Tim's.  Here i googled " Dr. Tim's ammonia dosing" and the 1st thing that pops up is below.  That took me literally 3 seconds and you have been researching for weeks and weeks.  You've gotta be joking that you're blaming people on here.

Instructions - Add the appropriate amount of DrTim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria to your aquarium. Then add 4 drops of Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride solution per gallon of aquarium water to achieve an ammonia concentration of 2 mg/L-N (2ppm) of ammonia.Feb 1, 2019

elcome to Fishlore!

You should keep adding ammonia until you add fish (when the tank is fully cycled with zero ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates >0). If you stop adding ammonia until the nitrites go to 0, you'll starve the beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites, and you'll lose your cycle. At this point, you're waiting for your beneficial bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates to catch up with the beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites. Give it more time - they'll catch up!.

I'd do a water change to get the nitrites lower. High nitrites may be stalling your cycle.

This is one of MANY! 

First of all you dont have to be so rude! Actually people do learn from their mistakes and my mistakes were leaving it run for 2 weeks un attended and changing water because I was told I had high ammonia and it wasnt even high!  I had just returned from hospital, she offered to test so I let her before I had opened my kit.  I think I was at about 4 ppm (no reason to change water) Her knowledge is ammonia means not cycled!  If I would have let  it be more than likely It would have been cycled. 

As you know there are many ways to cycle and everyone seems to be of the "dose once and let it be attitude"  i have been called impatient more times than I care to comment on!  So not touching the tank for almost a month is impatient?  I was doing that attitude that you guys seem to use and it wasnt working and Dr Tim is not the only one who has amonia.  You can buy it at any grocery store.  If you google fishless cycling (or cycling) with ammonia  most if not everyone says add to 5 then keep at 2  I never even went o Dr Tims page until today,pretty sure he says same thing!  I was trying to get  at 2 and added what he said, but ended up 8 and that was not my intention! You just  To tell you truthfully I know that i have read at least 10 or more saying if amonia gets to low or to zero you will have to build up the ammonia converting bacteria again and dose to 2!  My quotes from dtr tim was in other forums.. I googled things like high nitrates..low ammonia and EVERY single person who responded ( like yall) have said to dose, and keep dosing!   I just added the one I just read. 

I also dont want a weak cycle so even more important and do you not believe in the test phase where you dose 4 ppm or 2, I have read both depending on which website?  Just wondering your opinion on that?  I must have got it right beacuse today I am either at ) amonia or 0.25!  Nitrites still hanging at 5 and nitrate 20 to 40!    I wish I knew how to download my pics.  I am a dumb blonde under this dark hair....lol  JK  tomorrow I will post my todays reading and tomorrows cycle btw added a little more ammonia like 2 to 3 drops!  Dont want to lose that BBB for ammonia! Do you think If I am at zero I shouldnt add amonia and keep waiting for nitrites to drop?  Wondering your opinion on that too

I am not computer savy..do know how to copy and paste but I iwll try to add some links. If not I will tomorrow.  I dont claim to be a pro but when I am done I will be at ammonia cycling and from all I have read.  It 2: 41 in florida..still up researching!  Thats what I do even though you like to make rude comments about it!  I have followed everyones advice. I sat here and look at biospira untill 2 people finally said go for it at this point! So many said not to as well!  I have been accused of not listening to what is being advised but after reading all the pros and people from reef to reef, fish lore ect having same problems, as me with nirtites and I dont know why i am being picked on in here but funny all the other forums say dose!  So thats what I did and I am still where I was before I added the accidental 8 maybe lower looks almost yellow today.  

On 1/22/2020 at 10:58 AM, Tired said:

Again, STOP. Messing with the cycle will not make it go faster. 

Do water changes until your ammonia is under 5, then LEAVE IT. Do not add ANYTHING (except maybe some mature live rock) until your cycle is over. STOP messing with it. Your cycle should be over relatively soon, but MUST be left to its own devices. If you keep messing with it, it is going to take longer. 

It can take over a month to cycle a tank because bacteria have to establish and grow. If you start a tank with minimal to no bacteria, it will take time. For an instant cycle, you need to add a lot of very mature live rock and start from there. If you do pretty much anything else, it's going to take time. It's not a matter of tech, it's a matter of nature. 

Also, your tank isn't going to be mature for over a year. You're going to get surges of pest algae. Please do not deal with those the way you've been cycling this tank. You need to be PATIENT. If you want fast, you're in the wrong hobby.

https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle  This is one of many that say keep dosing.  I left it alone for a month.   Probably why I am in this position.  I must look like a dumb blonde to everyone..haha I am brunette and do have some brains.  I have listenedd to you guys and didn't add bispira until I was told by 2 people.  After I posted the slip of hand..haha ammonia overdose! I researched all night and most said to add ammonia until its done, a few said only if it drops to o.25 or zero...thats what I did, everyone here thinks I di d the wrong thing and i guess you guys use the add amonia and wait aproach..well that disnt work so far.  my nirtrites were stuck and I realized I should have been dosing.  Thanks for your advice and imput... I think I got this at this point!  LOL  I will post my readings tomorrow.  I am taking pics now and need to download them today was

o.25 to 0 ammonia  so that part is almost if not complete!  Thats after adding 8 ppm, and water change

nitrite same 5.0

nitrates 40ppm

Thanks for all your imput:)

17 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Seven pages of this bullshit?? Here is the link found in two seconds on google🤦‍♂️.. 

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Really?  You are that rude?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow!  Guess you havnt followed!  My  son was in the f'inghospitall, rushed there after tank was se4t up and tank left alone for 2 weeks..besides If I am in a hurry like dr tim method I would be impatienT!!!  !!!!!!!  Kind of hard to cycle a tank In a week when you are with your child with down syndrome with the flu and pneumonia!!!!!! 

I am not following his 1 week method and never claimed to only his ammonia which is same as everyone else so I never even went to his page until today!  Dosnt matter because I read many such as this one attached that says keep dosing! I never added one single dose until waiting  almost a month!  So here one for you and I will be back with more.  Like when other forums get questions about high nitrate low amonia and how polite and helpful people respond!  Just wondering how you came across my posts?  You are obviously here to cause problems and not be the slightest bit helpful! https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle

10 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

This whole thread has been a case of Dr Google or Professor YouTube, versus people with long experience who actually know what they’re talking about and free to help. Information is great and all, but also as dangerous as fire.

So you dont think publications or wiki or authors of books know what they are talking about?  Fishlore ect..many articles on interent and I suppose people making you tubes and having many subscribers such as bulk reef supply dont know?  Its your way or no way?  Thats a pretty arrogant attitude! Yeah, I have had some mistakes , BUT my tank would have been cycled in less than 2 weeks I am sure if my son wasnt in hospital and it was left unattended, probably sky high nitrites and ammonia slowing it down!    But Everyone on here is the "add ammonia wait and see method"!  Like nothing else will work!   Thats is the slow boat to china and I filled it on dec 27th.  I am not being impatient like everyone has said from my very first post!  If I was it would have been dr tims method or biospira from get go! I only used his ammonia, not his bacteria! Which would have had me cycled in less than a week!  But that would have been so impatient of me!

I shouldnt have asked for help, but that was my first thought and then I would research  it, and get so caught up I didnt check back for responses for quite a while.  If I chose to do what wiki says or dr Tim or bulk reef supply versus you guys than thats wrong?  They all say dose with amonia until it can convert it to zero in 24 hours and you have zero nitrites Dr Tim says almost zero to dose again I believe..something like that and thats what I did! .  I followed your advice and didt just that until It just wasnt working!  So I went with the pro's and I read it at least 8 times or more and in other fish rooms thats what they were advising as well to others in my same condition with low ammonia and high nitrates.  Google that if you dont believe me, because I cant copy and paste all..but I will a few  Sorry if you are offended. I did follow your advise and looked at bispira for days b4 adding and after given the ok but 2 people! 

Today my readings are right back maybe less.  0.25 to zero ammonia  and if I dont keep adding I will lose my BB for ammonia.  I will send a link to that.  also nitrites same at 5.0 nitrates 40, so did no harm did it?  Maybe speed it up!  Tomorrow I will download pics of todays reading and tomorrows and I dosed a few drops tonight as well.  Bet I get there soon!  What is ur opinion on the final test dose of converting ammonia to zero in 24 hours?  Just wondering !https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm  https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle 

Using Pure Ammonia to Cycle the Aquarium

After the tank has been set up, add five drops of ammonia per ten gallons into the water on a daily basis. Ammonia will rise to five ppm and higher. As soon as nitrites are measurable, reduce the ammonia input to three drops per day.

Hope there are no hard feelings but this is what I am reading over and over again.  I did notice something when I reread wiki, first they say in bold type, keep adding 2 ppm, (some say 2 some say 5. I never added any until the other day!)  ammonia the entire cycle then later in smaller print they say reduce to 1/4 of initial  dose after nitrates or nitrite spike.  I also noticed their test strip had nitrates as high as 25 ppm and 5 ppm not considered real high but on api its as high as it gets so my nitrates might be lowering somewhat!  I will reduce my ammonia to 1 drop a day and try to keep at .50 until nitrites fall.  Maybe another water change!  Geez, never ending and you must admit this is a wierd and unusual cycle and why I have asked for help so many times. I should have cycled in weeks no more than 2.  My lfs saw my rock and sand and that's what he said and he has been doing tanks for over 20 years.    I believe it being left alone those 2 weeks messed things up and must have had sky high ammonia and nitrites because I had nitrates weeks ago and that is usually at the end.  Wikihow said 4 to 6 weeks it should take and nitrates not until 4 weeks!  I had them at 2 1/2..sky high and probably even earlier than that!

1 hour ago, karen nation said:

https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle  This is one of many that say keep dosing.  I left it alone for a month.   Probably why I am in this position.  I must look like a dumb blonde to everyone..haha I am brunette and do have some brains.  I have listenedd to you guys and didn't add bispira until I was told by 2 people.  After I posted the slip of hand..haha ammonia overdose! I researched all night and most said to add ammonia until its done, a few said only if it drops to o.25 or zero...thats what I did, everyone here thinks I di d the wrong thing and i guess you guys use the add amonia and wait aproach..well that disnt work so far.  my nirtrites were stuck and I realized I should have been dosing.  Thanks for your advice and imput... I think I got this at this point!  LOL  I will post my readings tomorrow.  I am taking pics now and need to download them today was

o.25 to 0 ammonia  so that part is almost if not complete!  Thats after adding 8 ppm, and water change

nitrite same 5.0

nitrates 40ppm

Thanks for all your imput:)

I WANTED TO ADD ONE MORE. i HAD LIVE SAND AND SPORED ROCK AN D HAVE HAD NITRATES FROM AT LEaST 2 WEEKS INTO CYCLE AND THATS WAS WEEKS AGO SO THATS WHY IAM GETTING IMPATIENT!  It MAKES NO SENSE! mY LFS SAW MY ROCK AND KNEW THE SAND AND SAID i WILL CYCLE IN 1 TO 2 WEEKS, HE HAS BEEN DOING TANKS FOR 20 YEARS!  i CHANGED SHOPS THOUGH, SHOULD HAVE STAYED THERE!  CAUSE THAT OTHER LADY MESSED ME UP sorry caps..to tired and late to retype.  Almost 5 am haha. I get carried away with all this! My readings are crazy. I have nad nitrates for at least 2 weeks that I know of and probably longer b4 I started testing when son was sick.

I sat and just stared at the bottle of biospira for days and have had it for a month and didnt use it until, I think it was you and someone else said It would be fine.  Many said No absolutely not! Nothing happened afterwards. I am so sick of nothing happening. Funny thing this question of high nitrates and low ammonia was asked, in several forums and all the other ones said dose.  Some reason this is very different than other forums regarding that and all articles and publications as well say dose until cycle is complete.  If not for one thing you will lose that ammonia BB and more dosing stronger cycle as well.  I have only added 2 doses one the other day and 2 drops tonight.  I know this from googling that question.  

Tomorrow I will download pics of my rock and I took pics today of my readings as well which ammonia is now 0.25 to possibly zero  so no harm done and If my bb was good then of course no harm would be done and indications were that my ammonia bb are almost there if not there.  Some crazy reason my nitrites wont lower!  My LFS and not the one who sold the rock.  There are many LFS around here.  But he said I would cycle in 2 weeks and that rock had spores, live sand..maybe it wasnt good.. I dont know but good enough to get me nitrates in 2 weeks!, that was weeks ago!   This is reason for impatience and the fact it is 2020 and should take 6 weeks to cycle an aquarium!!!  I am going to attach a response to that question asked and one of many articles beacuse I know everyone thinks I am crazy and a dumb blonde or something having so much trouble and yeah, I have had many reasons, son being sick and tank left alone for weeks, bad advice from lfs to change water ect... But I have learned from my mistakes and feel I now know alot about cycling with ammonia anyway and have read lots of articles so I a think I am plenty qualified to give advice on that subject as well.  One thing everyone in this room agrees on is the "sit and wait attitude" and if not you are being impatient.  

I really appreciate your help and you have been one of the nicer ones unlike fish n chips..dirty sanchez!  So Many thanks!  https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle 

After the tank has been set up, add five drops of ammonia per ten gallons into the water on a daily basis. Ammonia will rise to five ppm and higher. As soon as nitrites are measurable, reduce the ammonia input to three drops per day.

12 hours ago, Tired said:

I wouldn't say that it's impossible to cycle a tank instantly. Enough added bacteria that are already on a good substrate (i.e. ones in rock, sand, and/or filter media) will do the job. You do have to stock lightly, because the tank isn't well-established for awhile, but you can do it. Like how, if you have a cycled tank, transferring most of the hard surfaces to another tank will mean the other tank is cycled. The fastest way to do that with a reef tank is to use good live rock that's either been pre-cycled for you, or has been shipped in water direct from collection. Bottled bacteria will do the job fast, but do need some time to establish, and may not work well (or at all) if there isn't enough life in the bottle. 

But you can't cycle a tank from dry rock/seeded rock, with minimal bacteria, and have anything happen fast. That's the problem here, that and the not listening. 

OP, if you're not going to take the advice, stop posting. Save us all some frustration.

5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

93386C8E-4365-44E9-9E57-05CA17B4C9F6.jpe

Funny stuff Haha!  How old are you?  You obviusly dont know a thing so go back to taking care of your dogs they are much easier!  I guess I should do a test cycle either with ammonia?  Ammonia is bad!  Its to bad I filed with live sand and spored rock a month ago and have had nitrates for over 2 weeks, So I dose with ammonia beacuse my numbers arent changing.  Bet you used biospiria and added a damsel so WTF do you know!  Gomake rude comments on youtube or something!  

• Haha 5
21 hours ago, kimberbee said:

The only surefire way to get a "fast" cycle is to use a good amount of live rock - live, wet, already has established bacteria on it live rock. 

You did not do that. You will not have a fast cycle. Point. Blank. Period. 

Most people in your position should expect a 4-8 week cycle time. Regardless of bacteria additives, live sand, infused (?) whatever, dead shrimp, or ammonia... 

How do I start my tanks: fill with sand, rock, saltwater. Add bottled bacteria. Sprinkle in fish food every few days. Leave it alone for a month. Easy peasy, no worries, simple. 

You state you spend so much time doing research, yet the NUMBER ONE thing that most people will tell you: you need to have patience in this hobby. 

So go ahead and add whatever (bacteria, ammonia, dead shrimp...) you want... but then leave the tank alone for a week. Check the parameters, and then go from there... 

21 hours ago, kimberbee said:

The only surefire way to get a "fast" cycle is to use a good amount of live rock - live, wet, already has established bacteria on it live rock. 

You did not do that. You will not have a fast cycle. Point. Blank. Period. 

Most people in your position should expect a 4-8 week cycle time. Regardless of bacteria additives, live sand, infused (?) whatever, dead shrimp, or ammonia... 

How do I start my tanks: fill with sand, rock, saltwater. Add bottled bacteria. Sprinkle in fish food every few days. Leave it alone for a month. Easy peasy, no worries, simple. 

You state you spend so much time doing research, yet the NUMBER ONE thing that most people will tell you: you need to have patience in this hobby. 

So go ahead and add whatever (bacteria, ammonia, dead shrimp...) you want... but then leave the tank alone for a week. Check the parameters, and then go from there... 

Thanks. I have caught a lot of flack on this post so I was kind of expecting this to be mean!  So thanks for the helpful and friendly advice 🙂    I didn't think live sand would do much and thats one reason it was left alone for weeks in the beginning and why I was surprised when I had nitrates almost 2 to 3 3 weeks ago so going by that I thought I would be cycled soon.  Dosnt make sense from the research, and boy when I added some amonia, I really got in trouble in here!  By a group that are friends and must be PM each other and talking some shit about me!  Let them have their fun I guess but will report them soon if it continues. I thought this was going to be a friendly room and it was until I added amonia and they suggested not to! 

Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are processed by different bacteria.

Ammonia: Nitrosomanas sp. (and others)

Nitrite: Nitrobacter sp.

Nitrate: very diverse, these are denitrifying bacteria - Psuedomonas, Micrococcus, Bacillus... etc..

It is perfectly normal for your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to process as different rates as these bacteria divide at different rates.

Because denitrifying bacteria are so much slower to establish (divide slow)... this is why people typically need to do a large water change when the ammonia and nitrite hit zero before adding life.

Also, bacteria will not starve when a person stops doing ammonia. Fishlore is wrong and whoever else claims this probably read it on fishlore and it just repeating what they read. 

Bacteria will simply adjust their metabolism and divide less when less ammonia is present. If you stopped for a year, they would become cysts and once you give them ammonia again, they will become active again (with a little jet lag). 

A new aquarium will take longer to adjust to new fish and process waste/ammonia than an old one. An old one can see an increase in a large population of fish without a hiccup. There is simply more bacteria in a 5 yr old tank with 3 fish vs a 3 month old tank with 3 fish.... even though bioload seems the same, population of bacteria is not. This is why we say patience a lot in this hobby.

The cycle is only the tip of the iceberg and many would argue it takes at least a year if not years to truly have what is an established stable aquarium.

Yes I had to google the bacteria names, I am not that nerdy to know those off hand. 

• Like 4
19 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Y'all getting trolled. Anyone that thinks that a tank can cycle instantly must have just beamed in off the bridge of the USS Nutjob.

You can use bacteria daily to help with the cycle, but the amount of ammonia in the system will still be enough to cause stress/disease/death to the tanks residents. I don't give a shit what Dr. Tim says, it's not gonna work. Nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank, PERIOD!

Appreciate If you would stay off my post and go back to the lounge with your buddies!   I am not expecting an instant cycle anymore.  Guess I listed to the experts on bulkreefsupply and many, many youtubes and local fish swaps and frag fests that use it!  I do know this!   

After the tank has been set up, add five drops of ammonia per ten gallons into the water on a daily basis. Ammonia will rise to five ppm and higher. As soon as nitrites are measurable, reduce the ammonia input to three drops per day.   and this  
https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle and this https://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fishless-Cycle and this https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm So yeas, you are suppose to add amonia through entire cycle and particually when amonia drops very low as to not lose the bb of amonia that you have waited to build and will have a stronger cycle!  If you leave one more rude comment or call me another name  than you will be reported and go back to the beers you were drinking when you posted this and you even siad "you wanted to keep drinking until you went to sleep"  Nasty drunk!  I dont have any residents in my tank for your info so maybe thats the reason for your nastyness but I wouldnt do that to a fish!  The one you left a while
53 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

93386C8E-4365-44E9-9E57-05CA17B4C9F6.jpe

I cant get over what a troll you are and actually took the time to make an elaborate meme... really?  Go back to the lounge with your buddie Sanchez and Fish n chips.  You said you didnt want to stop drinking until the sun came up!  haha. You obviously did and are a mean drunk!

46 minutes ago, karen nation said:

Funny stuff Haha!  How old are you?  You obviusly dont know a thing so go back to taking care of your dogs they are much easier!  I guess I should do a test cycle either with ammonia?  Ammonia is bad!  Its to bad I filed with live sand and spored rock a month ago and have had nitrates for over 2 weeks, So I dose with ammonia beacuse my numbers arent changing.  Bet you used biospiria and added a damsel so WTF do you know!  Gomake rude comments on youtube or something!  

Wow, strong troll. Even Moosh thinks you're an idiot.

T2ko43l.jpg

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates are processed by different bacteria.

Ammonia: Nitrosomanas sp. (and others)

Nitrite: Nitrobacter sp.

Nitrate: very diverse, these are denitrifying bacteria - Psuedomonas, Micrococcus, Bacillus... etc..

It is perfectly normal for your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate to process as different rates as these bacteria divide at different rates.

Because denitrifying bacteria are so much slower to establish (divide slow)... this is why people typically need to do a large water change when the ammonia and nitrite hit zero before adding life.

Also, bacteria will not starve when a person stops doing ammonia. Fishlore is wrong and whoever else claims this probably read it on fishlore and it just repeating what they read. 

Bacteria will simply adjust their metabolism and divide less when less ammonia is present. If you stopped for a year, they would become cysts and once you give them ammonia again, they will become active again (with a little jet lag). 

A new aquarium will take longer to adjust to new fish and process waste/ammonia than an old one. An old one can see an increase in a large population of fish without a hiccup. There is simply more bacteria in a 5 yr old tank with 3 fish vs a 3 month old tank with 3 fish.... even though bioload should look the same.

Yes I had to google the bacteria names, I am not that nerdy to know those off hand. 

haha, At the last sentence.  Thanks you seriously for taking the time and yes, so much conflicting info.  I have insomnia and My son is up alot at night so my den is close to his room so I sit here and research and watch youtubes of fish and corals and yeah, it gets hard looking at a tank full of rocks.  Plus my family is getting into this now, and we keep going to fish and coral shops on the weekend..  Makes it harder I guess especially when I was told I would be cycled in 2 weeks with that rock and sand.  Not to mention all my lfs use bacteria in a bottle Fritz, or Biospira and set up tanks that day! Frags fests and youtubes as well so I know it can be done but might stress out the fish.  All they say is they never lost a fish but wonder if they check the levels and get zero's.. I hope so!  

Man, I caught some shit from some people here especially this stinky bunny!  I think she is a trouble making drunk!  I know she has been drinking all day and all night too, cause I traced her posts from earlier. I had to when someone takes the time to make an eleborate meme on your post (and I only know that word because I asked my daughter)  lol I am just an old lady, who want her some fish...lol and some corals.

9 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Wow, strong troll. Even Moosh thinks you're an idiot.

T2ko43l.jpg

I am the troll??? Get a life.. Find something to do!

• Christopher Marks locked this topic