ReefCleaners.org

Need fast cycle or instant even better

karen nation

@karen nation , don’t let all the contradictory advice get you down. I was so overwhelmed when I started my first fish tank two years ago... everyone was saying all this stuff they are saying to you now, and my tank is currently in a magazine... so, seriously... there are lots of ways to successfully start a new tank. 

You do not need to take your rock back, you can do fishless cycling if you really want to, or you can use the products per the reputable companies instructions... there are lots of options that can be successful. The nitrifying bacteria products are still very new to the hobby so they haven’t fully caught on yet with the people that are used to the old way... but Dr. Tim has a PhD in this stuff (and invented both BioSpira and Dr Tim’s One and Only), and both LiveAquaria and BRS are leading sources of information in the hobby, see what they have to say: 

This is from Live Aquaria:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/289/?aid=289

69CC0170-F32A-4198-94A1-09100E018419.thumb.png.3843c5a57c5957d754718f416fe241cf.png

Read what BRS says about it, then read the reviews. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instant-ocean-bio-spira.html

A5BF3995-0834-40A2-8E10-82D5DF171151.thumb.png.ae2e6570c679394103cc63ac9ed36376.png

11 minutes ago, karen nation said:

Something is messing up tonight.  I don't know how to use this site well.  How do I respond to individuals?  Seems to be no option for that and reposted my last reply and cant get it to go away only edit! I do want to thank Joboo for her kind words. It would be so nice to put this on back burner with him and all of us sick.  My daughter flew home for the holidays and is stuck here sick!  I wonder If I left it like it is for a few days. Just filtering the sand and infused rock, If it would be okay!  I dont want o buy new water and sand and all.  I just need to get to hospital because now my hubby has the flu and just left hospital so my son will spend his first night alone.  I am sure he will be in bed soon and asleep but i need to get up there tomorrow now and he is in no condition to get biospra, shrimp.  plus need to get new chemi blu elite, because what the sent me from amazon is rotted. 

Someone said I should have the media I plan on using and just went with what was in the filter but I was going to use floss and purigen and chemipure elite.  To much research for me to do the ammonia method, since i need to be at hospital.  What timing. I did think about returning the rock but I remember they just had lots of the base pieces, no top ledge type piece.  I really really love the aquascape I made and sat on their floor for like 1/2 hour making perfect aquascape. No to mention that place is 45 minutes from here and oposite direction from my house or hospital.  Better option just to get it cycled.  

I thought this would be a great hobby for me!  I am disabled and my sons health is causing me anxiety isuues and my hubby has his band and i have no hobbys and i am bored silly! I spend so much of my life as a caregiver for him, so thought this would be great! Not just for me but the whole family as well.  So far its creating more stress to my life!  LOL  I guess once you learn the ropes it gets easy!  So hopefully I can get to petstore , hospital run back home, throw in biospiria and shrimp, the son gets well and we can start testing.  At this point I dont care if it takes a month.  Surely they will hold my order if they dont give me my refund, wont know util Jan 2 when they reopen!  ONe day I will look back on this crazy beginning and see my beautiful underwater world that I created (with help from ya'll) and just smile and make sure I post lots of pics....lol  Now off to research!  haha.  Oh ya think I can use a frozen shrimp or should i get one from the deli dept, probably just thawed frozen there as well though!  One thing.  I do have two test kits!  Reef and saltwater master kits!  haha. So can do lots of testing

If you need to leave it set up with nothing in it and just rock and water do it. As far as the shrimp you can use any. All it is going to be is a food for the cycle. Even throwing some fish food in would work to start the cycle you just need to feed the bacteria.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, karen nation said:

Something is messing up tonight.  I don't know how to use this site well.  How do I respond to individuals?  Seems to be no option for that and reposted my last reply and cant get it to go away only edit! I do want to thank Joboo for her kind words. It would be so nice to put this on back burner with him and all of us sick.  My daughter flew home for the holidays and is stuck here sick!  I wonder If I left it like it is for a few days. Just filtering the sand and infused rock, If it would be okay!  I dont want o buy new water and sand and all.  I just need to get to hospital because now my hubby has the flu and just left hospital so my son will spend his first night alone.  I am sure he will be in bed soon and asleep but i need to get up there tomorrow now and he is in no condition to get biospra, shrimp.  plus need to get new chemi blu elite, because what the sent me from amazon is rotted. 

Someone said I should have the media I plan on using and just went with what was in the filter but I was going to use floss and purigen and chemipure elite.  To much research for me to do the ammonia method, since i need to be at hospital.  What timing. I did think about returning the rock but I remember they just had lots of the base pieces, no top ledge type piece.  I really really love the aquascape I made and sat on their floor for like 1/2 hour making perfect aquascape. No to mention that place is 45 minutes from here and oposite direction from my house or hospital.  Better option just to get it cycled.  

I thought this would be a great hobby for me!  I am disabled and my sons health is causing me anxiety isuues and my hubby has his band and i have no hobbys and i am bored silly! I spend so much of my life as a caregiver for him, so thought this would be great! Not just for me but the whole family as well.  So far its creating more stress to my life!  LOL  I guess once you learn the ropes it gets easy!  So hopefully I can get to petstore , hospital run back home, throw in biospiria and shrimp, the son gets well and we can start testing.  At this point I dont care if it takes a month.  Surely they will hold my order if they dont give me my refund, wont know util Jan 2 when they reopen!  ONe day I will look back on this crazy beginning and see my beautiful underwater world that I created (with help from ya'll) and just smile and make sure I post lots of pics....lol  Now off to research!  haha.  Oh ya think I can use a frozen shrimp or should i get one from the deli dept, probably just thawed frozen there as well though!  One thing.  I do have two test kits!  Reef and saltwater master kits!  haha. So can do lots of testing

I would just leave it as is, and when everyone is recovered in a few days to a week, you can add the BioSpira or whatever you decide and take it from there... leave your lights off, but the pump and heater (and powerhead if you already have one in there) running. It will be fine. Hope your family recovers quickly. 💛💛💛

• Like 1

The rock you have is fine. There is nothing wrong with it. We just don't want you to dump a bottle of bacteria in it and corals and fish all in one go.

38 minutes ago, banasophia said:

@karen nation , don’t let all the contradictory advice get you down. I was so overwhelmed when I started my first fish tank two years ago... everyone was saying all this stuff they are saying to you now, and my tank is currently in a magazine... so, seriously... there are lots of ways to successfully start a new tank. 

You do not need to take your rock back, you can do fishless cycling if you really want to, or you can use the products per the reputable companies instructions... there are lots of options that can be successful. The nitrifying bacteria products are still very new to the hobby so they haven’t fully caught on yet with the people that are used to the old way... but Dr. Tim has a PhD in this stuff (and invented both BioSpira and Dr Tim’s One and Only), and both LiveAquaria and BRS are leading sources of information in the hobby, see what they have to say: 

69CC0170-F32A-4198-94A1-09100E018419.thumb.png.3843c5a57c5957d754718f416fe241cf.png

A5BF3995-0834-40A2-8E10-82D5DF171151.thumb.png.ae2e6570c679394103cc63ac9ed36376.png

I don't think anyone is saying not to use biospira. Just that adding corals and fish day one is reckless for a beginner.

• Like 2

@banasophia Are you having problems with this site tonight?  My last post is missing and I cant respond to individuals.  But yeah, I would love to postpone this untill we get well, and i can go be with my son.  I Left a post saying my hubby just left the hospital now he has the flu!  Its crazy. My daughter comes for the holidays and she is tuck here sick!  She is getting better and I am feeling better tonight.  My hubby was literally nursing us all, had charts on us and handing out medicine and taking temps. It was crazy!  He went and surprised me with the water from the store not thinking, trying to cheer me up but just backfired and i was afraid If I left it that what ever cycling if any would be lost! 

I am embarrassed to say all the dumb things i have done!  I think I need to return the filter even!  Its called aqua tech.  HOB. up to 20 gallons and i have a ten. BUt dosnt have as much room inside for filtration media (and it placed sideways) like the aquaclear everyone uses.  I think the aqua clear is laid flat like media stacked on one another. But I thought it was prettier lol. The top is flat.  I didn't want a hob at all because I didnt want it sticking over top and showing!  but it is not about external beauty but what is best and I didnt notice the inside was different! Also I am not sure even if I chose right media, every thing I have done is wrong so far so I am sure this is no exception.  I did research this though but after it being delivered I question it. I have purigan and just panthose.  Wasnt sure what size bags t o get.  I need to do that in person I guess, shop for media bags. I also have chemi pure elite.  .  Its in one bag, so I would have to seperate and I was going to put in another bag or pantyhose and also filter foam.  I know the chemipure elite is supposed to have gfo or something and resin and take place of carbon, some people say all you need is purigan.  I just wanted the best.  Some one said I should get matrix.  I assume seachem. If I have room I could add that.  Just rocks though. but they said that would help with cycle. I really hate to take back my beautiful aquascape I created.  It is perfect looking and they had no live large ledge pieces that I used on top that would hold lots of corals.  Its about 8 inches wide.  All In all I wish I could just change the post and ask best way to cycle instead of fastest!  I don't mind a month but just dont want it to take 3 months. 1 month is hard enough.  I also left a post and I dont see it someone said, the easiest way was shrimp.  So Either I postpone and ad ammonia.  I dont know where to begin with that and how much to use and testing blah blah blah so much more research.  or throw in biospira than shrimp, start testing in 3 weeks.  That sounded so much easier than figuring out what the hell the mean when they say a drop per gallon or whatever.  When ammonia dosnt have a dropper!  I already have tons of research ahead of me!

Man, I can seriously ramble.  But turn lights off and it will be fine?  I think I will do shrimp though if I do get by the petstore, it is right by hospital and I get bored up there but It definitely needs to sit a few days.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, karen nation said:

@banasophia Are you having problems with this site tonight?  My last post is missing and I cant respond to individuals.  But yeah, I would love to postpone this untill we get well, and i can go be with my son.  I Left a post saying my hubby just left the hospital now he has the flu!  Its crazy. My daughter comes for the holidays and she is tuck here sick!  She is getting better and I am feeling better tonight.  My hubby was literally nursing us all, had charts on us and handing out medicine and taking temps. It was crazy!  He went and surprised me with the water from the store not thinking, trying to cheer me up but just backfired and i was afraid If I left it that what ever cycling if any would be lost! 

I am embarrassed to say all the dumb things i have done!  I think I need to return the filter even!  Its called aqua tech.  HOB. up to 20 gallons and i have a ten. BUt dosnt have as much room inside for filtration media (and it placed sideways) like the aquaclear everyone uses.  I think the aqua clear is laid flat like media stacked on one another. But I thought it was prettier lol. The top is flat.  I didn't want a hob at all because I didnt want it sticking over top and showing!  but it is not about external beauty but what is best and I didnt notice the inside was different! Also I am not sure even if I chose right media, every thing I have done is wrong so far so I am sure this is no exception.  I did research this though but after it being delivered I question it. I have purigan and just panthose.  Wasnt sure what size bags t o get.  I need to do that in person I guess, shop for media bags. I also have chemi pure elite.  .  Its in one bag, so I would have to seperate and I was going to put in another bag or pantyhose and also filter foam.  I know the chemipure elite is supposed to have gfo or something and resin and take place of carbon, some people say all you need is purigan.  I just wanted the best.  Some one said I should get matrix.  I assume seachem. If I have room I could add that.  Just rocks though. but they said that would help with cycle. I really hate to take back my beautiful aquascape I created.  It is perfect looking and they had no live large ledge pieces that I used on top that would hold lots of corals.  Its about 8 inches wide.  All In all I wish I could just change the post and ask best way to cycle instead of fastest!  I don't mind a month but just dont want it to take 3 months. 1 month is hard enough.  I also left a post and I dont see it someone said, the easiest way was shrimp.  So Either I postpone and ad ammonia.  I dont know where to begin with that and how much to use and testing blah blah blah so much more research.  or throw in biospira than shrimp, start testing in 3 weeks.  That sounded so much easier than figuring out what the hell the mean when they say a drop per gallon or whatever.  When ammonia dosnt have a dropper!  I already have tons of research ahead of me!

Man, I can seriously ramble.  But turn lights off and it will be fine?  I think I will do shrimp though if I do get by the petstore, it is right by hospital and I get bored up there but It definitely needs to sit a few days.  

The site seems to be working for me... we can help you figure it out, don’t worry. 

I personally wouldn’t just toss a shrimp in because you won’t know how much ammonia is being added and you don’t want it to get above 2 ppm or so... definitely not over 5 ppm... if you order Dr Tim’s ammonia, it comes in a bottle that has a dropper, so it’s easy... 

We can help you when you guys are feeling better, most important to get well... I just had to leave my new tank with water and rock because I had too much going on right after I filled it up... just keep the light off and everything else running... 

someone said in another post like mine she added biospiria nd I think was dosing with food, she never got an ammonia spike.  Someone said on here that if I do the shrimp method.  Which I think i will.  Sounds less complicated and if the end result is the same then make sense to me!  They said I should see ammonia spike then when it goes back to zero I am cycled. Just one spike? then he said change water and add fish, But after biosipiria more than likely it will say zero, so hopefully I get an ammonia spike!  I believe he said If I never do than I am cycled! I just read an article saying live rock as well  You tube is so against live rock!  I never saw one video of them using it!  It was a big no no!  I watch so many undering setting up a nano reef!

I am canceling out being in a hurry.  Hopefully no more than a month!  What about using purigen and chemi blue elite and foam.  Anyone us that combo?  I am staying off youtube.  I do want to watch that series though.  aAot seemed to be deleted of my posts and replys so I a may be repeating myself, but one youtube of bfs "setting up a nano reef"  siad tap water!  Then biospiria add fish!  Thats crazy but then again they were trying to sell nuvo 16 kit that came with water conditioner, biospiria ect.. mass aquariums and so many other putting fish in right after and not even testing!  

I am am going to get of here and read articles not youtubes and see If I can use a frozen shrimp I have or should I get a fresh one from publix deli, even though chances are previously frozen and I wonder If I should add fish flakes too or just shrimp.  Seems it would rot and cause problems though.  so futher investigations nesecassy!   anyone know of good articles on shrimp method?  It may be hard to find one saying biospiria (or any bacteria starter )  then shrimp though.

15 minutes ago, karen nation said:

someone said in another post like mine she added biospiria nd I think was dosing with food, she never got an ammonia spike.  Someone said on here that if I do the shrimp method.  Which I think i will.  Sounds less complicated and if the end result is the same then make sense to me!  They said I should see ammonia spike then when it goes back to zero I am cycled. Just one spike? then he said change water and add fish, But after biosipiria more than likely it will say zero, so hopefully I get an ammonia spike!  I believe he said If I never do than I am cycled! I just read an article saying live rock as well  You tube is so against live rock!  I never saw one video of them using it!  It was a big no no!  I watch so many undering setting up a nano reef!

I am canceling out being in a hurry.  Hopefully no more than a month!  What about using purigen and chemi blue elite and foam.  Anyone us that combo?  I am staying off youtube.  I do want to watch that series though.  aAot seemed to be deleted of my posts and replys so I a may be repeating myself, but one youtube of bfs "setting up a nano reef"  siad tap water!  Then biospiria add fish!  Thats crazy but then again they were trying to sell nuvo 16 kit that came with water conditioner, biospiria ect.. mass aquariums and so many other putting fish in right after and not even testing!  

I am am going to get of here and read articles not youtubes and see If I can use a frozen shrimp I have or should I get a fresh one from publix deli, even though chances are previously frozen and I wonder If I should add fish flakes too or just shrimp.  Seems it would rot and cause problems though.  so futher investigations nesecassy!   anyone know of good articles on shrimp method?  It may be hard to find one saying biospiria (or any bacteria starter )  then shrimp though.

You can add BioSpira and then add either shrimp or the ammonia drops, either does the same thing so I would go with whatever seems easier to you. We’ll talk you through it... you’ll be good. I’m not sure how long people leave the shrimp in... we’ll need to look that up or maybe someone here can advise. 

Just DO NOT add a live fish if you are going to use either the ammonia or shrimp method - you can’t combine the fish-in and fishless methods, that can kill the fish. 

tamberav    I have no plans of adding corals after biospiria.  Not since i have learned more.  I have left posts saying I have contacted unique corals to cancel and they are closed until the 2nd!  They broke delivery date thank god..what a blessing!  If they dont cancel I will dispute with paypal, if I don t win then I will just have t o pay more to have that delivered in 4 batches! I was hoping to cycle quickly at first because I heard it can take 3 months so I didnt want then to hold first shipment that long, and wanted to do fish first now.  I was afraid corals wouldnt keep it cycled because no ammonia production.   I I did read on my research you could either begin with fish or corals though.  So when I saw that sale I went nuts!  Dumbest thing ever I know.  I had decided shrimp because I could throw it in and start the process while my son Is in hospital

, afraid I would lose any progress so far and the live sand and infused rock wont be anymore if I wait, but now banasophia says I shouldnt because ammonia may get to high with shrimp .  So now I a back to dr tims ammonia method and biospiaria.  I think it will be more than a few days because i cant research how to test and all at hopital, oh boy!  LOL  Would it be okay to wait 5 days though?  I can possible use the computer in room but my son watches cartoons. I don't have a laptop and I suck at using phone and kindle broke!  what does ppm mean?

18 minutes ago, karen nation said:

If you do shrimp, you don't leave it in there. You take it out once you have some ammonia or if it has rotted a bit. My friend did the shrimp method a few months back, his take is doing so well. Really any of the methods will work. 

Honestly I usually just do some fish food but have used pure ammonia or shrimp too. It all was the same in the end. 

Maybe they want to sell dry rock, I don't know. I usually use a combo of live and dry but I think hitchhikers are fascinating and not scary. I think some people are just paranoid and afraid and some tanks end up too sterile and devoid of life from it. 

banasophia.  How do I respond directly to you?  You would think there ould be a comment or reply on each persons reply!  Anyway, I am in Tampa florida so no, not by a long shot, different coasts.  Thats another thing.  I also read not to use sea water!  Someone sent a link to an article saying sea water and live rock.  So much mixed info on internet!  I could have started with seawater!  I am about 45 minutes from Tampa bay or the causeway

where water is much clearer!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, karen nation said:

banasophia.  How do I respond directly to you?  You would think there ould be a comment or reply on each persons reply!  Anyway, I am in Tampa florida so no, not by a long shot, different coasts.  Thats another thing.  I also read not to use sea water!  Someone sent a link to an article saying sea water and live rock.  So much mixed info on internet!  I could have started with seawater!  I am about 45 minutes from Tampa bay or the causeway

There is a quote button bottom left. I am not sure if something is causing you not to see it? You can also do @ and then their name. Like @karen nation

I know of a few tanks that use sea water but I think mixed prepared water is easier for a beginner. I say this because sea water can be contaminated by boats and sometimes is not the correct salinity due to rivers/run off/gulfs and such. 

There are 1000 ways to accomplish the same thing in this hobby. That is why it is confusing. Just pick whichever is easiest for you. Your tank will be fine running regardless. Believe it or not the bacteria we need to cycle are tanks are in the very air and environment around us. Even if a person took salt + dry sterile rock and NO added bacteria. Added ammonia and waited, their tank would eventually cycle... it would just take 4-6 weeks to get there. I did it this way many many years ago before bottled bacteria and seeded rock was a thing.

Take a deep breath, it will all work out in the end. Remember the journey is just as rewarding as the result. You will be tending to an underwater garden, learning, growing, and discovering new things all the time. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, karen nation said:

You’re good... your rock is fine and your water is good... I don’t use live rock, I prefer CaribSea Liferock (which is dry rock, possibly the same thing you have) because I don’t want to deal with hitchhikers. 

Premixed water from your fish store is fine. Take a deep breath. 🤗 Take care of your family. Your fish tank only has rock and water now so it’s really okay to just leave it running and figure out all these details about the tank later. 

tamberav. I just want o do whats easiest.  Its 4 am here and I am still up.  i need to start researching whichever method I use and get to bed.  mY hubby says he will go back to hospital so I can finish research , but I feel bad doing that. This timing is so bad. Wish I had not of filled my tank but he came home with the water and I just saw sooooo many youtubes with biospiria then fish. I won't do that though judging by response on here and I dont want to risk a fish.   Thats why I thought I would get a general consensus from so many people  I need to pick a plan and go. I remember reading that dosing ammonia is more difficult.  Someone here said it was dirt simple.  I think I read that with ammonia nitrates or ammonia, I cant remember which has to rise and fall 3 time to be cycled?  Is that the case. I havnt even figured how to test.  I thought the shrimp would be easy so I could throw it in and start it while i am at hopsital with my son for a few days and was afraid to leave it filled with nothing but filter running with live sand and infused rock.  I am afraid that all will die with no amonia going in.  banosophia said it would be okay to leave a few days, he had to do that before.  It may be more than a few beacuse I have one more day to finish research then go to hopital for a few days.  My son was on antibitics and thought was on road to recovery, insteded ended up being flu and pneumonia.  He has been hospitalized so many time with chronic aspirations! 

1 minute ago, karen nation said:

tamberav. I just want o do whats easiest.  Its 4 am here and I am still up.  i need to start researching whichever method I use and get to bed.  mY hubby says he will go back to hospital so I can finish research , but I feel bad doing that. This timing is so bad. Wish I had not of filled my tank but he came home with the water and I just saw sooooo many youtubes with biospiria then fish. I won't do that though judging by response on here and I dont want to risk a fish.   Thats why I thought I would get a general consensus from so many people  I need to pick a plan and go. I remember reading that dosing ammonia is more difficult.  Someone here said it was dirt simple.  I think I read that with ammonia nitrates or ammonia, I cant remember which has to rise and fall 3 time to be cycled?  Is that the case. I havnt even figured how to test.  I thought the shrimp would be easy so I could throw it in and start it while i am at hopsital with my son for a few days and was afraid to leave it filled with nothing but filter running with live sand and infused rock.  I am afraid that all will die with no amonia going in.  banosophia said it would be okay to leave a few days, he had to do that before.  It may be more than a few beacuse I have one more day to finish research then go to hopital for a few days.  My son was on antibitics and thought was on road to recovery, insteded ended up being flu and pneumonia.  He has been hospitalized so many time with chronic aspirations! 

You can go tend to your family and leave the tank. It isn't important that it is started today or tomorrow or this week. You can cycle it whenever you are ready. It doesn't matter water is in it, you can put in an ammonia source and some bacteria whenever you get back. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

There is a quote button bottom left. I am not sure if something is causing you not to see it? You can also do @ and then their name. Like @karen nation

I know of a few tanks that use sea water but I think mixed prepared water is easier for a beginner. I say this because sea water can be contaminated by boats and sometimes is not the correct salinity due to rivers/run off/gulfs and such. 

There are 1000 ways to accomplish the same thing in this hobby. That is why it is confusing. Just pick whichever is easiest for you. Your tank will be fine running regardless. Believe it or not the bacteria we need to cycle are tanks are in the very air and environment around us. Even if a person took salt + dry sterile rock and NO added bacteria. Added ammonia and waited, their tank would eventually cycle... it would just take 4-6 weeks to get there. I did it this way many many years ago before bottled bacteria and seeded rock was a thing.

Take a deep breath, it will all work out in the end. Remember the journey is just as rewarding as the result. You will be tending to an underwater garden, learning, growing, and discovering new things all the time. 

oh wow!  Duh. I saw the quote but didnt realize it would go to that person.  Should say reply or comment.  It is overwhelming with so much going on.  So I know you said it would be okay a few days but I am afraid it will be more than a few if I have to research, and be there an need to get more supplies ect, so lucily petco is close to hospital.  I Had decided shrimp cause i could toss and go and would be working while I was at hospital.  when I got back I could start the testing and go from there.  If I can get dr tims, since ithas a dropper here in a day or so. Hopefully I can find it locally can I just dose it once and the go to hospital a few days then continue when I get back.? I just need to pick a plan and get to reserching more about it.  Its crazy this hospital thing is in the way.  And most people would say screw the tank and start all over but my son is so strong and a trooper and He is well on the mend.  His white blood cell is lowering and he is not in any immediate danger or I would. I ts just a matter of not wanting to leave him alone. He calls for me, and nurses will force pills on him and he cant swallow, they will bring trays of food not pureed!  Its nuts!  My hubby came home sick tonight!

7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You can go tend to your family and leave the tank. It isn't important that it is started today or tomorrow or this week. You can cycle it whenever you are ready. It doesn't matter water is in it, you can put in an ammonia source and some bacteria whenever you get back. 

I wont loose what going with the live sand and infused rock, beaucse that would be the answer!  Whew!  stressed as hell, still sick and its nearly 4:30 in Florida!  

3 minutes ago, karen nation said:

oh wow!  Duh. I saw the quote but didnt realize it would go to that person.  Should say reply or comment.  It is overwhelming with so much going on.  So I know you said it would be okay a few days but I am afraid it will be more than a few if I have to research, and be there an need to get more supplies ect, so lucily petco is close to hospital.  I Had decided shrimp cause i could toss and go and would be working while I was at hospital.  when I got back I could start the testing and go from there.  If I can get dr tims, since ithas a dropper here in a day or so. Hopefully I can find it locally can I just dose it once and the go to hospital a few days then continue when I get back.? I just need to pick a plan and get to reserching more about it.  Its crazy this hospital thing is in the way.  And most people would say screw the tank and start all over but my son is so strong and a trooper and He is well on the mend.  His white blood cell is lowering and he is not in any immediate danger or I would. I ts just a matter of not wanting to leave him alone. He calls for me, and nurses will force pills on him and he cant swallow, they will bring trays of food not pureed!  Its nuts!  My hubby came home sick tonight!

I wouldn't stress over it. Even if you lose some, it isn't a big deal as bacteria is readily available. 

3 minutes ago, karen nation said:

Yes, don’t worry about the tank now.

You can consider ordering these for use later on once you’re back home and everyone is well:

Instant Ocean BIO-Spira Water Treatment for Aquariums, 3.38-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AK47JS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WjCcEb9QABH3J

DrTim's Aquatics - Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycling - 2 oz Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wmCcEbTZN0AAD

And here’s some info on the fishless cycling using Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride, if you want to read about it over the next little while you’re taking care of your family. I think it might be a nice option since it includes very specific instructions. 

https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Wow!  Seems i did do something right!  I was questioning the chemipure elite because it arrived wet and look gross and my hands were turning brown.  I went and read that it is packaged wet and needs major rinsing.  I had planned on that with purigen and filter floss.  So may people are using that combo.  Someone said I should use matrix to cycle though.  Could I add small amount of matrix.  Would that be of benefit, or do I need to  I was reading amazon reviews and typed in a question of mixing elite and purigan and so many said they swear by it!  But I do imagine that there are lots of ways

15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yes, don’t worry about the tank now.

You can consider ordering these for use later on once you’re back home and everyone is well:

Instant Ocean BIO-Spira Water Treatment for Aquariums, 3.38-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AK47JS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WjCcEb9QABH3J

DrTim's Aquatics - Ammonium Chloride Solution for Fishless Cycling - 2 oz Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_wmCcEbTZN0AAD

And here’s some info on the fishless cycling using Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride, if you want to read about it over the next little while you’re taking care of your family. I think it might be a nice option since it includes very specific instructions. 

https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

so aweome!  Bamn.. done!  Just ordered and biospiria will be here tomorrow.  I am so relived!  I tell ya I am not in the right frame of mind!   I have order like 10 things from amazon for aquarium and this was in my cart (biospiria) but I have a credit of blunders to return to petco.  But I thought I would use my credit but screw that!  Not like I wont be buying like a zillion more things for this tank, i can use it later.  Thanks so much for that link I can read up on .   Oh, I just remember why I was going to pick up. I thought my chemi pure elite was bad from amazon, but it says on amazons page for that it is supposed to arrive damp and you have to rinse the hell out of it!  I can get an arrival date on dr tims though, should i put the biospiria first, or would that be wasted until I get ammonia

?

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

didnt even think to read these reviews!  I did do research on the top brands and this was number one followed by dr tims I believ.  Also said possibility of fish death, on instant cycle.  So many of these reviews it worked.  Some did wait usually no more than 2 weeks.  I just didnt want to wait long tme and yeah, if instant is guranted sure thats even better!  I bet alot of these people lost fish after they left the review saying it worked.  One youtube guy used it and put 2 clown and a shrimp, losta clown!  Could have been overload!  I hope i Can find the ammonia locally though.  Amazon wont give me a date.  says 3 party seller and when I put in cart no date

I can only go from personal experience but I used caribsea live sand like you but I used live rock from my LFS rather than dry rock and from what I understand that significantly affects cycling time.

My cycle was finished (been through diatom stage, no nitrites and nitrate/phosphate barely detectable) about 2 weeks in. I didn’t put anything other than CUC in for a further 2 weeks to make absolutely sure it was safe for fish/corals and my parameters had remained stable. 

It’s really, really not something you should try to rush though. Rushing and going in with livestock too soon will most likely mean you get to watch a lot of it die over a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

Ammonia dosing is more difficult than adding a dead shrimp, only in the sense that it requires you to do things. You measure out your ammonia once a day, you pour it in, and there you go. Slightly more work than adding a dead shrimp once. It is, however, preferable to the shrimp method, because you know exactly how much ammonia is being added. 

It would be ideal for you to get a small amount of good live rock to introduce helpful critters. You don't need to, though. Your tank will cycle fine without.

Also, you should really put paragraph breaks in your posts to make them easier to read. Every few sentences would be good, at least.

• Christopher Marks locked this topic