Pod Your Reef

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Yup I was surprised to see them at my LFS.  They had four of them and in hindsight I should have picked up more than one, especially when I found out they were only $30CDN each.

• Like 1

30 Canadian is still more than live aquarias fantasy price of 15.99, I can't even remember the last time they had them in stock.

A local store had a pair left for like 10 usd a piece when I was first setting up, I passed and haven't seen one at any of the four stores around town since lol.

TheKingInYellow

So the current stocklist including the QT inhabitants is:

• Onespot Foxface
  • Multibarred Angel
  • Sapphire Damsel
  • Chalk Bass
  • Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
  • Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Coral Banded Shrimp

I'd like to add one more Wrasse, probably a Fairy that will be happy to share the space with the Flasher, but I'm not sure what else.  Nothing in the tank is particularly aggressive, the Angel could be but early indications are he's a sweetheart.  The Damsel is happy in his cave and shows zero aggression at all.  I'd say the most aggressive thing in the tank is the coral shrimp.

Beyond a Fairy Wrasse, any thoughts on maybe one more larger (4"-6") fish that would be a good fit?

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Yeah I think the tank is passive enough for a Butterfly, but I don't know if it's big enough.  My wife has her heart set on a Copperband but in a 3' tank?  I can't do that.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Definitely hitting an ugly stage in the display.  Diatoms on the overflow and rock, but no algae to speak of.   The Foxface and Angel spend all day picking at the rock and the Coral shrimp seems to enjoy scouring the bottom of the tank. 

Nitrates still slowly dropping, closer to about 5 now and all inhabitants are healthy and eating well.  If all goes according to plan the coral QT will be set up this weekend and I'll put some LPS in there maybe next weekend.  Although this tank is SPS dominant I need some movement in the tank so a few hammers or frogspawn for the bottom are almost a given, maybe some Acans or Favia as well.  I expect a 60-90 day QT on my corals so the tank should be ready for LPS by then.

I have a several local reefers to get frags from and one local coral propagator - https://concreteblondecorals.ca/ - to peruse for selection!

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow

So I guess my pump guard wasn't 100% effective, the Foxface managed to get pulled in behind it.  Looks highly unlikely he'll pull through.

• Sad 2
TheKingInYellow

Lost the Foxface overnight.  I'm more than a little frustrated after the effort I put into this tank, quarantine time, designing and printing the guard, and still lost a healthy fish.

So made the call and I'm swapping to a pair of MP40s.  LFS only had one in stock today though so my tank is currently gorgeous.

20191005_155044.jpg

• Sad 3
TheKingInYellow

Went to the LFS this evening to pick up our new juvenile Foxface and they just got in a Blue Margin Fairy Wrasse.  Couldn't say no!

20191009_174709.jpg

TheKingInYellow

Not too much to add.  Still a bit of diatoms in the display but no algae to speak of.  No algae growth in the RAIN2 Algae Scrubber though either which is a bit annoying.  Tank nitrates are sitting around 5-10 but I just got my Hanna Phosphate checker so I'll see what's happening there.  Nyos skimmer continues to be a beast, I'm taking out a full cup of frothy chunky dark tea every other day.

The new Wrasse and Foxface Mulder the Second are both super healthy and eating like mad, but I think I have the worlds first carnivorous Foxface.  He completely ignores his nori clip and goes mad for pellet/flake/frozen meaty items.  Weird little dude. 

Hope to have them in the display next weekend and then I think I am done stocking fish.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Second MP40 came in at the LFS, I have flow again!  Also, diatoms.  Thought I lost Wee Baby Seamus today too, but it was just a moult stuck to the overflow.

Gotta say this was a happy afternoon.  I got the second pump installed, connected to the WXM, and configured for anti sync in about ten minutes.  It's been a long time since I touched any equipment in this tank, had everything work on the first try, and it took less than an hour or two.  

Progress!

20191017_163212.jpg

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow

Thanks!  My wife would really like one more fish but I'm not sure. Full stock list after this round of QT:

• Multibar Angel
  • One-spot Foxface
  • Sapphire Damsel
  • Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
  • Blue Margin Fairy Wrasse
  • Chalk Bass
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Coral Banded Shrimp

So six fish, about 70g of water in the system and 50g in the display. It's a passive tank so far, the Angel will occasionally give a little rush towards the Damsel but he's never chased. No nipping, nothing along those lines.

If we added something else it would ideally be a free swimmer or percher so that it's visible, and something Blue/Orange/Purple in color. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow
53 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Idk if you have one already or have considered a longnose hawkfish ? 

Yeah I love them but they'll eat the shrimp.

Thinking about a bicolor blenny?

TheKingInYellow
40 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I need to find a chalk bass... such a cool fish, excited to see everything in the tank once things really get moving.

Hard to capture on a phone camera but he's incredibly iridescent and loves swimming in the turbulence.  

20191017_214401.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

Also leak testing the coral QT finally.  Been sitting dry in the basement for several years although I tried to spritz the seams every now and then.

20191018_180716.jpg

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow
4 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

That is definitely a baller QT !!! Pico tank right ? 

Yup a Chris Delicath DB18.  I don't think he even makes tanks anymore but it was top of the line when I bought it, all Starfire.

• Like 1

Yeah I think he quit making tanks a few years back,I wanna say it was partner issues or glass supplier issues which causes him to stop. 

He was still making the pico skimmers though for a little while if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow
28 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Yeah I think he quit making tanks a few years back,I wanna say it was partner issues or glass supplier issues which causes him to stop. 

He was still making the pico skimmers though for a little while if I'm not mistaken. 

I have the Pico Skim 2.0 airstone skimmer for this tank in fact.  I'll be running it on the QT.

• Like 3