Cultivated Reef

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Just working on the scape plan and found out about this Aquavitro Bond stuff.  Bought some at my FLGS and sweet mother of crap is it handy.

Fifteen minutes ago this was four separate rocks:

20190704_204138.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

And mission accomplished, the rock just went into the bath with a raw shrimp, powerhead, heater and an air pump.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

And mission accomplished, the rock just went into the bath with a raw shrimp, powerhead, heater and an air pump.

The cook begins! 

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

The rock is all tucked away with no light Ave as much sealing as I can manage for the next few weeks.

Hopefully I don't get a ton of evaporation that escapes the lidded container and hopefully the shrimp won't make the house reek too bad when we are back.

I figure the air pump will keep the anaerobic at bay while the curing happens. 

No updates for a little while, when I get back I'll get the stand in place, get the sump and tank up and filled, move the rock and get the WAV kit installed.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

So now I'm second guessing the WAV kit since I'm not sure two pumps will do enough to keep the bottom and back clean in addition the the general flow requirements.  

Considering a dual XF330 gyre kit from Maxspect instead.  Not sure though, thoughts?

HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, TheKingInYellow said:

So now I'm second guessing the WAV kit since I'm not sure two pumps will do enough to keep the bottom and back clean in addition the the general flow requirements.  

Considering a dual XF330 gyre kit from Maxspect instead.  Not sure though, thoughts?

Honestly I would go with the gyres for main flow. And then add some small pumps to blast the rocks. You can really never have too much flow

HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Honestly I would go with the gyres for main flow. And then add some small pumps to blast the rocks. You can really never have too much flow

30 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

They look good but no Apex support?

I guess not I'm not sure but for $500 bucks that's a lot of wide flow 

TheKingInYellow

On 7/9/2019 at 10:55 PM, Matteo said:

I guess not I'm not sure but for $500 bucks that's a lot of wide flow 

Yeah the flow pattern would be better, I just don't want to have to open two apps to do feeding mode and water changes 😕

Might not be terrible, and I might end up doing Primes instead of Kessils as my LED hybrid solution anyhow.  Cheaper and better colour control at the cost of a little PAR.

• Like 1
On 7/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, TheKingInYellow said:

Yeah the flow pattern would be better, I just don't want to have to open two apps to do feeding mode and water changes 😕

Might not be terrible, and I might end up doing Primes instead of Kessils as my LED hybrid solution anyhow.  Cheaper and better colour control at the cost of a little PAR.

Very True, nothing wrong with AI lights, lot of color control for sure. Also two apps aint horrible, when I do water changes I toggle the switches on my DJ board and just turn the pump off. I don't turn my circ. pump off for feeding. The ocean doesn't turn off so the circ pump doesn't either. Be looking like a blizzard of fish food in the tank 😄 

That's just me though

TheKingInYellow

Yeah maybe I'll go two Neros and then stick with AI lights.  

I'm debating the T5 hybrid too, not sure it justifies the cost to go that route.  Three Primes or two Hydra 26s should be tons of light and spread for 36x18.

2 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Yeah maybe I'll go two Neros and then stick with AI lights.  

I'm debating the T5 hybrid too, not sure it justifies the cost to go that route.  Three Primes or two Hydra 26s should be tons of light and spread for 36x18.

You dont neeeed T5s at all. Just stick with some primes or hydras and if you wanna ad t5s you can later! 

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums

Well depending on your long term goals with the tank. If your going sps heavy then I would 100 percent run t5s. Sure it may not mater when all the corals are frags but when they become colonies even with 3-4 pucks of light there will still be shadowing. You will probably also get elevated growth from increased par by the t5s too. Not to mention better color (but that’s just a personal opinion)

1 hour ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Well depending on your long term goals with the tank. If your going sps heavy then I would 100 percent run t5s. Sure it may not mater when all the corals are frags but when they become colonies even with 3-4 pucks of light there will still be shadowing. You will probably also get elevated growth from increased par by the t5s too. Not to mention better color (but that’s just a personal opinion)

It's true... I run a coral plus and actinic in my hybrid. The coral plus in the rear bulb because that's where all the sticks are in my tank. Actinic helps all the zoas and LPS in the front of the tank pop! 

When does the tank come in also? 

TheKingInYellow

Tank is in August 1st.  Dual Primes plus T5 or triple Primes is the debate now I guess.

I'm in Niagara Falls with my family at the moment anyhow so nothing can happen until I'm back.  Curious to see what the rock curing bin will be at for ammonia and nitrate.

TheKingInYellow

Also I just saw that aquatic life has a new fixture that's dimmable and controllable from the Apex but it's almost twice the price...

:happydance:

C+ and B+ plus 2 26's would be a par MONSTER for a light. Basically perfect for this tank. There is a guy on R2R running 2 56's and 2 T5's over a 29g and oh man... #perfection. 

It won't let me post the link its in the nano section,Bolo's SPS tank. 

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow
On 7/18/2019 at 5:54 AM, Reefkid88 said:

:happydance:

C+ and B+ plus 2 26's would be a par MONSTER for a light. Basically perfect for this tank. There is a guy on R2R running 2 56's and 2 T5's over a 29g and oh man... #perfection. 

It won't let me post the link its in the nano section,Bolo's SPS tank. 

That's crazy overkill for a 29g lol.

Anyhow back from vacation, the rock container didn't burst (Yay).  Looks like some brown on the rock here and there and the water didn't even smell that bad.  I realized I don't actually have any test kits handy so not sure where we are on the cycle.

I did pick up Hanna calcium and alk checkers at a shop while we were away so I'm set there.

TheKingInYellow

Still waiting for my tank but the stand is done so I'm continuing to cycle the dry rock, and doing as many little projects as I can in the meantime.

Got a GFCI outlet installed in a waterproof enclosure today.

2apeaCP.jpg

• Like 1