inTank Media Baskets

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

*** UPDATED EQUIPMENT LIST - JUNE 29, 2019 ***

Equipment plan:

• Custom 36 x 18 x 18, black silicone, black taped, polished and beveled corners, center bean overflow, dual returns - ORDERED
  • Custom 28 x 14 x 16 sump - ORDERED
  • DIY stand in progress - ALMOST DONE
  • Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite - ORDERED
  • Apex Controller w/ Temp Probe, pH Probe, EB8, Display Module, LSM, VDM - ON HAND
  • Neptune WAV w/ 2 heads
  • AquaticLife 36" T5HO Hybrid w/ 2 x Kessil A160WE
  • Tunze Osmolator - ON HAND
  • Carbon Reactor of some sort
  • Kalk dosing somehow
  • Dual Sicce Synchro 1.5 return pumps
  • 2 VCA Random Flow Generators - ORDERED

So I'm sitting on all this gear:

• PicO DB18 - All Starphire w/ Starphire cover, black Silicone
  • Tunze 9001 Skimmer
  • Apex Controller w/ Temp Probe, pH Probe, EB8, Display Module
  • Apex Lunar Simulator Module
  • EcoTech MP10wES (old white case version)
  • Eheim 100w Heater
  • AI Prime - Black
  • AI Prime Tank Mount
  • Tunze Osmolator (w/ big tub o' Kalk)
  • BRS 5-Stage RO/DI unit w/ 2 x 20g Brute Tubs
  • ~25lbs of Marco Rock
  • 1/2" Black HDPE for the bottom

xRdz8EV.jpg

uJBxtL4.jpg

This was going to be a Bare Bottom SPS cube but it just never happened.  I was looking at selling the gear and tank off for a grand but got mostly lowball offers on Kijiji so I'm debating just moving the tank and getting something like a 30g-40g breeder, a Prime HD to go with the Prime and a sump to turn this into a slightly more robust tank.  Maybe a sand bed, maybe still a BB tank.  I'll be pushing the skimmer a bit but with a sump I can do more mechanical removal and add a carbon reactor or something.

Getting a quote from the local fish store on either an IM Nuvo 30L EXT or a custom built tank with similar specs.  Will I actually start a tank this time?  Who the hell knows!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
TheKingInYellow

After discussing it with my wife the plan is as follows:

Sell the DeepBlue and PicoSkim/Tunze Skimmers (check the marketplace), get a custom euro-braced 36 x 18 x 18 tank with external bean overflow.  20G ish sump, add a second AI Prime, upgrade the skimmer (Bubble Magus Curve 5 maybe), add on a carbon/phosban reactor, add another MP10 (or MP40) and get a BB SPS going.  Screw my wallet, right?

TheKingInYellow

Well regardless of what tank I'm going with, and it's still not decided, I can get the basic support stuff up and running.

Starting with the RO and mixing station, which will have a pair of 20g Brutes raised for easy drainage into buckets.

Starting the top with a torsion box:

zuf3Z1T.jpg

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

And voila a mixing station.

GvR3EPb.jpg

Next step is installing uniseals and spouts.  I'll probably run a pump and line to move freshwater to the mixing brute as well.

• Like 4
TheKingInYellow

Uniseals and the hole saw kit showed up today, so I'll grab some PVC shortly and get the RO membrane ordered.  It's a BRS 5-stage kit with dual TDS inline, but it's been sitting dry for something like 5 years so that membrane is toast.

Also meeting with my LFS tomorrow after work to discuss custom tank dimensions.  Still leaning towards a 36 x 18 and height somewhere between 18" and 22".  Thinking an exterior overflow in the centre with a Bean Animal style drain setup.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Just got back from the LFS and a new tank had been ordered:

36 x 18 x 18, Starfire front, black silicone, polished and beveled edges, black tape, euro bracing, black painted back, with black acrylic overflow.

Overflow will have three 3/4" bulkheads for a bean animal drain setup and the are two 3/4" return holes in the back panel.

Time to build a stand.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow
9 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Great start.. I'm setting up a 40 gallon myself.  Following! 

You doing a journal? 

I won't have water in this before August anyhow.  My builders are swamped and we have a two week vacation in July.  It won't be the fastest build in the world but I'm getting done what I can in the meantime.

• Like 2

I was gonna go custom too, but they wanted 1300 for it, and closest next thing was uns good luck finding one now. Next was landen aquarium with Amazon but couldn't justify 500 bucks for a (like Ada/uns tank). So ended up with 45 dollar breeder lol. It's De rimmed and looks good better now lol. 

• Like 1

Ooooooh nice! 

Same boat sir 😉

My T5 nano box hybrid is gonna have a ton of DIY done to it. 

Following as I love any DIY involved in a build

TheKingInYellow
5 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

offerup app

Not available in Canada 😞

If more flow is the goal, and I have to by a WXM anyhow to use the Vortech, maybe just upgrading to a dual Neptune WAV setup makes more sense?

Do it. DC is the way to go. All my pumps on my system are dc. Low wattage and quiet as balls. My leds will even be DC driven 😂 only thing I'm cheating on is heater and t5s.