Pod Your Reef

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Lol DT is in ugly phase, the only reason I haven't posted many pics.

Not sure what we'll replace the wrasse with.  Royal Gramma and a Coral Beauty maybe?

32 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Lol DT is in ugly phase, the only reason I haven't posted many pics.

Not sure what we'll replace the wrasse with.  Royal Gramma and a Coral Beauty maybe?

I like royal gramma. The beauty may nip at your coral... 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

My son and I just picked up a royal gramma for our tank and I’m really enjoying it. A little shy so far (it’s only been a week) but getting braver and such a pretty fish 🙂

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow
On 11/10/2019 at 5:37 PM, Matteo said:

I like royal gramma. The beauty may nip at your coral... 

Yeah, I'm already taking a chance with the Multibar so maybe I'll skip any other dwarf angels.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Nothing yet.  Cyano dying off nicely, and no more mortality issues.  Haven't been able to catch the Wrasse yet though.

Waiting to move the corals up, until I get  the wrasse out in case I need to pull rocks.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
TheKingInYellow

Current tank status update!

The vicious deathwrasse has been successfully caught and returned to my LFS, and the Flametail Blenny and Firefish have finished their QT and moved up to the display.  I thought I was done with stocking the tank but with both Wrasses and the Chalk Bass out of the display I'm back to shopping for fishy friends.

Corals are doing well in QT, the Euphilia especially.  I wasn't able to change the plug on the Zoas and I saw a suspected Aiptasia on them so I trashed them.  They didn't seem to like the flow and light level in the QT anyhow, and both are amped up in the display so not necessarily a huge loss.  They have another 2-4 weeks before I move them up.

The Cyano has largely gone away and the diatom phase is in full swing.  I've really not bothered with water changes.  Between wetter skimming, the ATS and the Clarisea, water parameters are good and the sump is clean.  I'll do a few in the next couple weeks since the corals will be moving up an the Nitrates remain a little high (15ish).

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Jesus two of them are already dead.  LFS said I should not have QT'd them, and just done a 3hr drip.  They were at 1.018 salinity though, so that seemed like too much stress to put them through.  

Last two are hiding.  Paid $350 for these 4 and I think I'm going to lose them all 😞

• Sad 3
TheKingInYellow

All the Anthias died within 72 hours. Ugh.

Decided to stick with easier fish and my LFS hooked me up with a pack of Blue Gudgeons which my wife completely fell in love with.  She has a soft spot for things that are so ugly that they are cute, which is a great compliment for my own looks, right?

Anyhow they are in the QT eating well and already responding to food signals.

TheKingInYellow

Gudgeons are doing great, and they eat like horses.  No idea what happened with the Anthias.  I'll clean up the QT glass tonight and try and get a decent picture of them..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Gudgeons are doing great, and they eat like horses.  No idea what happened with the Anthias.  I'll clean up the QT glass tonight and try and get a decent picture of them..

Do you use a lower salt in your QT? I don't know much about anthias but considering they all came from the same batch I think parasite or something internal maybe? Just weird for all of them to go at the same time unless your water was f up beyond belief but I doubt that 

TheKingInYellow
14 hours ago, Matteo said:

Do you use a lower salt in your QT? I don't know much about anthias but considering they all came from the same batch I think parasite or something internal maybe? Just weird for all of them to go at the same time unless your water was f up beyond belief but I doubt that 

Yeah, I got them from the same LFS my other fish are from.  Water was about 1.017 so mild hypo, and they have copper in the display wall as well.  I maintain that low salinity and bring it up a point a day or so in my QT.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
TheKingInYellow

Really overdue for an update.  The Gudgeons are in the display and the first batch of corals are going in this weekend.  I'll post pics when that's done.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
TheKingInYellow

So I've been holding off adding corals during the ugly phase of this tank but I'm six months in and it's still an ugly phase.

Wondering if this is Dinos?  It grows everywhere.

I do feed heavy but my goal was always heavy in heavy out, bare bottom, high flow.  For this 50g display I'm running a pair of MP40s, a Clarissa 3000 which is direct fed from both overflows with no bypass, Marinepure spheres, and a Nyos 120 skimmer.  I dose 5ml of NoPox a few times a week.

I'm fine to keep waiting it out but I feel like I'm getting nowhere at the moment.

IMG_20200215_183415.jpg

IMG_20200215_183419.jpg

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

So I've been holding off adding corals during the ugly phase of this tank but I'm six months in and it's still an ugly phase.

Wondering if this is Dinos?  It grows everywhere.

I do feed heavy but my goal was always heavy in heavy out, bare bottom, high flow.  For this 50g display I'm running a pair of MP40s, a Clarissa 3000 which is direct fed from both overflows with no bypass, Marinepure spheres, and a Nyos 120 skimmer.  I dose 5ml of NoPox a few times a week.

I'm fine to keep waiting it out but I feel like I'm getting nowhere at the moment.

IMG_20200215_183415.jpg

IMG_20200215_183419.jpg

Don’t see any telltale bubbles.  Could it just be a really bad case of champ?  I’m not the best at IDibg these things tho. 

Hmmmmm, 

Is your tds accurate? Any phosphate levels? 

Manual removal with scrub and hydrogen peroxide and maybe a two day light off period? 

Honestly everyone's tank is different. She maybe just a late bloomer! 

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

At this point, I might slowly remove some rock to help nutrient export through better flow over all areas.  I show no Nitrate at all but I'll check phosphate later today.

• Like 1

This happened to me, it was down to my phosphate and over feeding...
I cut down on the food, tooth brush in the tank and scrub away also blast it off with a turkey baster, mine's called the turkey blaster now 😄
sit a net in front of a powerhead to catch all the crap.
I also cut down the lights a little, seachem phosguard & an emerald crab om nom nom!