ReefCleaners.org

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Once again I am reminded not to take my family to a fish store.  Have a Flametail Blenny and a Firefish in the QT now.

Coral QT tank is half full, will be up and fully running tonight hopefully.  Should be picking up a batch of LPS for the bottom of the tank as the first corals this weekend.  I'm thinking 2-4 Euphyllia of some variety and some encrusting LPS and/or montis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
TheKingInYellow

Yeah this wavemaker is really a pump alternator but it should do for now.  I really only need it for 6-9 months or so. 

I figure three batches of corals.  The LPS first, than the more robust SPS like montis and other encrusting corals, then the Acros etc once we hit real stability in the tank.  I know on/off cycles are hard on the pumps so I figure I'll run thes 15m alternation to limit it somewhat.  I still have the output of the AIO return as well and I think I'll put a VCA RFG on that to keep a truly random factor to part of the flow.  Just need to figure out what the locline diameter is.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, TheKingInYellow said:

Hard to capture on a phone camera but he's incredibly iridescent and loves swimming in the turbulence.  

20191017_214401.jpg

I wanna get some of them so bad! The are such cool little fish.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

A couple more ornamental additions to the CuC.  Double Sea Star and a Porcelain Crab.  I haven't seen a Porcelain Crab with red spots before.

20191026_151848.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

First corals are in the QT.  This batch is the tester batch and is all for at or near the bottom with a little gentler light and flow.

No pics because they are acclimating right now but I picked up a Hammer, an encrusting Superman Monti, a couple of Acans, A small Duncan colony, about fifteen heads of an unknown Zoa (freebie from the LFS), and I splurged on a head of Aussie Gold Torch.

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

May be dealing with an aggressive Blenny.  The Firefish is missing most of his dorsal spike and has a pretty clear bite mark on his back right behind the dorsal.

I've never heard of an aggressive Blenny and they are getting fed twice daily so I can't imagine he's starving.  Thoughts?

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

It's only a 10g quarantine, the only other option is moving the FF to my coral QT and a I would really rather not do that.

They've been fine together for two and a half weeks, I could move the blenny into the display and leave the FF in the QT.  Not sure if I should use a prophylactic treatment on him or just let him heal naturally.  He's still eating and swimming fine.

• Like 1

It should regenerate fine by itself - hopefully he can avoid another incident himself - I would just keep an eye on things for now - if you see persistent aggression, then maybe think about how to seperate them.

edit - yeah, I wasn't keeping in mind they were in QT. I would say move the FF to the display as a first option as long as they both seem healthy.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TheKingInYellow said:

It's only a 10g quarantine, the only other option is moving the FF to my coral QT and a I would really rather not do that.

They've been fine together for two and a half weeks, I could move the blenny into the display and leave the FF in the QT.  Not sure if I should use a prophylactic treatment on him or just let him heal naturally.  He's still eating and swimming fine.

What is in the QT? My Tailspot Blenny was very aggressive towards anything that came too close to "his" Barnacles. I've kept adding other hiding holes and he's calmed down. I also had to remove the Clownfish that decided to host a barnacle cluster nearby

TheKingInYellow

Well aggression in the display tank has gotten a bit out of hand.  The Blue Margin wrasse has killed the Carpenter's and my Chalk Bass.

Can't say for certain but he's clearly the bully and those two took the brunt of it.  He's chasing the damsel now.

I'll try and get him out this week and return him for credit 😞

• Sad 4

Some wrasse are terrors, most become nasty later in life from what I've read, I'm not sure why they seem to have a reputation as a peaceful community-fish.
Really sorry to hear about the losses though, sounds like it happened fast =/

• Like 1