Top Shelf Aquatics

TheKingInYellows 50g custom blackout bare bottom

TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

Couple of other small updates, got my two 3/4" VCA random flow generators in.  Should have done 1/2" though as my returns need to push about 250 gph each for them and that's a lot of flow through the sump, at least 10x.  Might need to return them and scale down.

Also got around to water testing.  Ammonia in the rock tub is at or below 2ppm so I've clearly got something using it up as this shrimp has been in the tub for a solid two weeks.  Strangely though, I see zero Nitrates and zero Nitrites.  The tub is completely dark so there is nothing in there to eat nitrate either.

I'm guessing maybe there isn't enough oxygenation in the tub despite running a small air pump next to the powerhead.  Checked the pH and it's sitting very low at about 7.6 so maybe that's it?  These are brand new Red Sea kits so they shouldn't be that far off.  Not expired or anything either.

Regardless I'm not in a rush and this rock will move to the display as soon as I have it so it will get light and flow and aeration then.  I dropped in another vial of Prodibio biodigest and I'll check again in a few days.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Also think I have finally settled on the last pieces of gear.

Dual Sicce 1.5 returns

36" Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid (DX possibly?)

2 AI Nero 5 Powerheads

2 AI Hydra 26HD

AquaMaxx or equivalent Algae Reactor

Carbon Reactor

Several Pod Hotels (printing them on my 3D printer right now!)

Dual 150W Eheim Jager heaters

I hope that's it.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

Just ordered two 1/8" textured black ABS panels.  Each is 12" x 36" and I'll cut one to go around the overflow and secure them to the tank bottom.

I opted for textured ABS as it should be perfectly Reef safe and my wife would really like some acans or zoa gardens on the bottom and this should support adhesion for growth.

Should be here just before the tank.

The wait is killing me.

TheKingInYellow

This cycle, she ain't cycling.

0AaOi6Cl.jpg

NIc2WCLl.jpg

AIBcvdjl.jpg

That's three weeks so I can't imagine that it's going to improve with what I'm doing.  Hopefully by the end of next weekend the rock will move to the tank, I'll have at least one Nero providing better circulation, and I'll try shifting from a raw shrimp to dosed pure ammonia and a different source of bacteria.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Just ordered the first AI Nero and my Sicce returns so that I can get going on plumbing the tank enough to move the rock and start breaking in the skimmer.

• Like 2

You won't regret the nero 5. Great pump for the price. 

For your cycle maybe you can seed your rock with a piece of LR from your LFS? Or are you wanting to start completely fresh? 

TheKingInYellow

Going to start completely fresh.  Hitchhikers can certainly be an interesting part of the hobby but I plan to QT everything and no live rock.

While I'm waiting for the rest of the equipment and my tank I'm goofing around with my 3D printer.  Pod hotels!

20190729_172606.jpg

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow

Been toying with options for additional nutrient export and I am leaning Algae Scrubber over a reactor now.  I think the sump space might be an issue but a lot of the rest on top of the sump anyhow, or there are options like the HOG from Santa Monica.

I'd like it up an running as soon as the cycle completes in the tank so I guess I need to decide soon!

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Equipment is starting to come in! Got the ABS sheet, heaters, Dr. Tims, FlexPVC and fittings all yesterday. The tank, sump and pumps should be here tomorrow. I have a very busy weekend ahead!

• Like 2
TheKingInYellow

Ooo, Radion XR15 Pros just went on sale at my preferred online seller. Two of them with diffusers would do a heck of a job lighting this tank... Hmm...

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Okay, I've finalized the remaining gear I need to order, and catalogued whats on hand.

Updated equipment list:

• 36" x 18" x 18" Starfire front tank with internal bean animal overflow and dual returns
  • 28" x 14" x 16" sump with dual 4" socks
  • Apex Classic with 2 EB8s, WXM, LMK, lab-grade PH probe
  • Dual Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 returns with VCA Random Flow Generators
  • 2 Ecotech Radion XR15 G4 Pro lights with diffusers and RMS hanging kit
  • 2 AI Nero 5 Wavemakers
  • Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite Skimmer with AutoAqua monitor
  • Santa Monica Filtration RAIN2 TAS with Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 and 2 GEM5 lights
  • Bulk Reef Supply deluxe carbon reactor w. 0.8 ROX and MJ1200 feed pump
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO

I'll plan to dose BRS 2-part once corals go in the tank.

• Like 3
TheKingInYellow

Pumps in the house!

Hooked the Nero up in a large kitchen container and yeah they move some water....

20190801_174904.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Whew that is some serious flow. If you keep sps that should definitely be enough lol. 

His tank is gonna be sps dominant 🙂

TheKingInYellow

Still waiting on the tank but I've begun ordering all the remaining gear.  Did a set of tests on the rock and that cycle still isn't moving, so that turned into a giant waste of time 😞

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

Hot damn I'm finally picking up the tank and sump tomorrow!  Paint the back tomorrow night, let it cure and then start plumbing Saturday.

So time to talk stocking plans.  This is a heavy-in-heavy-out system that will likely be fed twice daily.  Between the filter socks, oversized skimmer, carbon reactor and algae scrubber I should be in good shape.  Subsequently I'm not too worried about a heavier bioload.

What I would like is 3-4 mid-water open swimmers along the lines of a Lyretail Anthias, maybe a clown or two (although clowns are sort of boring to me), Basslets or Damsels.  Those will likely be the first inhabitants.  Then, I want to add 2-3 wrasses of the flasher/fairy type, basically any that would be fine in a barebottom.  Last addition would be a small tang until it grows out, or maybe a one-spot Foxface - some sort of active algae grazer.  Last addition a Mandarin or Scooter Blenny 6+ months after the tank is fully established.

Feel free to critique and/or suggest other options!

Elizabeth94

Tagging along! Very interested to see how that particular algae scrubber works for you. I started some research on them myself but don’t have a set plan for my build in general. 

TheKingInYellow
57 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Tagging along! Very interested to see how that particular algae scrubber works for you. I started some research on them myself but don’t have a set plan for my build in general. 

Yeah they are clearly a small company but also clearly very proud of their product.  Have to see how it pans out.

TheKingInYellow

Finally have the tank and sump in my possession!

20190808_143439.thumb.jpg.2b81ea7b3a70999b112aa35d9a24b0bb.jpg

20190808_143410.thumb.jpg.bb9afbfd698578f043a29f83e67ba773.jpg

20190808_143510.thumb.jpg.a8864fcde0409b89578de630f2ca92e2.jpg

Silicone looks good, although a bit sloppy around the eurobrace.  Not too concerning.  Chipping on the return holes was worse than I would have liked but it's on the exterior so opposite of the gasket.  Nothing to worry about.

20190808_143446.thumb.jpg.4dbc2e4cb5ca80612ac5eccca9577a9b.jpg

20190808_143451.thumb.jpg.fcad2b6d888d9f7691eb8c8625bce7b4.jpg

Getting the back painted tonight and I can start plumbing it tomorrow!

• Wow 1
TheKingInYellow

...and I just spoke to the builder.  He did the whole tank in low iron because of the delay.

Free upgrades!

• Haha 1