Pod Your Reef

The Broken Janky Tank - clown crab!

Tamberav

On 5/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, Tigahboy said:

Ooooh.  I would love to see that crab take on the Reefcleaners Gaudy Clown Crab. Battle of the century.  

And this is actually going to happen??

• Like 2

Debating if he is a danger to the blenny/fish or not? John said he moves pretty slow.

He can snack on the corals if he wants. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So obviously not sure if I can add clingfish in here with the crab but I will share updates for now anyways 🙂 I got the fish then got a msg from john after about the crab, I still would have got both weird critters anyways. I am a sucker for odd things!

They are doing well learning that when the pumps go off, food comes to the clam dishes. If the food is too big they sometimes spit it out or spit part of it out but they are eating well. I feed twice a day but I leave the pumps off for hours each time. 

My cat saw a bug and you can hear her in the background. MOM! MOM! BUG! BUG! BUG! When I turned to look at her she was satisfied that I saw the bug too lol 😛

• Like 9
  • Wow 1

Wow amazing clingfish and crab!! I have always wanted to try caring for those clingfish. I think they hang out in/near urchins in the wild.

So cool they are eating well and going to their target already!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Wow amazing clingfish and crab!! I have always wanted to try caring for those clingfish. I think they hang out in/near urchins in the wild.

So cool they are eating well and going to their target already!

They do! The only problem is urchins would eat the macro which helps keeps the tank stable, doh. 

From what I could find is in the wild they spawn in empty clam shells and eat burrowing bivalves in corals so that is why I used the shells, they are less ugly than actual food dishes too. 

I was definitely nervous buying them but so far so good! 

• Like 4

hehe so the fish and crab seem fine together but the crab is eating the palys. This is part of its normal diet, the colors are actually a warning, "hey I eat toxic palys and I am now toxic, eat me if you dare!" - The dart frog of crabs! 

it appears that these crabs dine directly on their host, ripping apart polyps one at a time, and, in the process, obtaining the palytoxin which they so aposematically advertise in their bright colors. In the wild, where they tend to occupy large expanses of Palythoa, this is unlikely to due any real damage, but in the confines of an aquarium there is a much greater chance for their feeding to destroy any coral colonies within reach. Aquarium observations have also indicated opportunistic feeding on the anemone Bartholomea annulata, which might indicate the sort of broad corallivorous palate which would render this species undesirable in a reef aquarium.

https://reefs.com/2016/01/20/kaleidoscopic-platypodiella-clown-crabs/

This is totally fine with me, I have plenty of coral tanks. I will just take this tank in a different direction, maybe add some more macro, try different corals to see if there is one that it doesn't wish to dine on. He has only been snacking on paly's so I am guessing that is his preferred taste. 

I actually have pest palys in my 21g that came on the rock that I have been manually pulling out .. so probably put those in here for a 'treat' for him from time to time. I also may have to pull a bunch of rock out and go minimalist because crabbo has too many hiding spots lol He does his dirty work when the lights are out. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
44 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I have a bunch of palys in my tank with the RFAs that I’d be happy to send you as a snack for your new pet! 😂

ha! I actually really don't want the hitchiker palys in my macro tank and was thinking he would be good cleanup duty 😮

• Like 2

Someone was selling a nano-box tide (4 channel with lime) for $100 so I grabbed it since I was passing through the area. The fan doesn't work (which they didn't disclose, but it was kept in a storage place, so maybe they didn't know, idk)... but that should be an easy fix. Everything else seems to be working fine. I think it is a good deal for 100 bucks. I really don't need more crap but it was hard to pass up. 

Was hoping to set it up tonight for this little pico but need to order a fan first... doh. 

• Like 6

I started the total revamp of the tank in prep for the clingfish.

Everything is very angry and I ran out of super glue.

The blenny didn't seem to care I was dismantling his home...all he cares about is when the next meal is. 😛 Even if he has to hop up my arm to get it.

MVIMG_20190630_030546

Pretty sure this guy is holding a paly but he is so damn stealthy. He was in the cave with no paly....I left...came back and he was in the same spot... but holding a paly.

MVIMG_20190630_030559

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Here is the new scape and lots of pissed off corals 🙂 basically it is two rocks...ha! I wanted to give open space for the clingfish to swim. The mp10 was replaced with a weaksauce powerhead so I don't shoot the clingfish into the wall.

Replacing the fan on the tide didn't fix the problem so I ordered a new driver and diverted the fans power to a usb in the mean time. Janky style! 

MVIMG_20190701_161717.thumb.jpg.81636575c23823556f508530029f2241.jpg

MVIMG_20190701_161654.thumb.jpg.b3212f8e897fb069138c53d25a602ada.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

How  do you like that little pump?  I was thinking of adding one to break up the waterfall effect from the HOB.  I have one in the cats fountain water dish I could use.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

Looks good! I can't believe you had an MP10 in here in the first place

lol I miss the mp10 already! 

1 hour ago, Wingy said:

How  do you like that little pump?  I was thinking of adding one to break up the waterfall effect from the HOB.  I have one in the cats fountain water dish I could use.  

It's weak flow but... like you said... breaks up the flow from the filter. It doesn't make any noise which is good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how this crab is pulling a fast one on me...

He was in his cave...ran out of paly to eat...I target fed the blenny and went back to feed Mr Crab and he was gone... Doesn't move all day then he runs off like a madman... without a trace.. didn't even see him move. It's like he teleports! 

I couldn't find him anywhere...figured he was hiding ..went downstairs...came back up and...there he is...back in the cave with a big chunk of paly to eat.

I have yet to catch him in the act moving or walking anywhere or grabbing corals...it's like he is playing games.

Nom nom chunk of paly!

MVIMG_20190702_003144

Turning sideways trying to hide his prize...I see what you got there buddy!

MVIMG_20190702_003208

I wonder if he prefers palys to zoas? When I had both in the tank he only ate the palys.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1
14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Here is the new scape and lots of pissed off corals 🙂 basically it is two rocks...ha! I wanted to give open space for the clingfish to swim. The mp10 was replaced with a weaksauce powerhead so I don't shoot the clingfish into the wall.

Replacing the fan on the tide didn't fix the problem so I ordered a new driver and diverted the fans power to a usb in the mean time. Janky style! 

MVIMG_20190701_161717.thumb.jpg.81636575c23823556f508530029f2241.jpg

MVIMG_20190701_161654.thumb.jpg.b3212f8e897fb069138c53d25a602ada.jpg

Looks good! 😊

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I wonder how much his diet corresponds to the colouration, interesting that it favours Palys though 

From what I researched, his colors are a warning to predators that he is toxic (from eating palys). His fine dining on palythoa is a defense mechanism. 

5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks good! 😊

Ty!

4 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Paly-stealing crab needs a name!

Seriously tho, he's so adorable when he's hugging the Paly in hopes you can't see it. 😛 

He does need a name but I am bad at names... takes me weeks to pick one out for my other pets. So far I have just been calling him Crabbo. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1