Pod Your Reef

The Broken Janky Tank - clown crab!

Tamberav

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

There’s also shelldon, Clawdia, or riptide. I like all of these names😂

I’m considering changing my crab Jerry’s name to something that fits him better😂

• Like 2
3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m considering changing my crab Jerry’s name to something that fits him better.

I went through a phase where I called my dog random crap that I heard.  He was Drill-bit for like a week, Squidward for another.  However, I tried not to confuse him too much. But when he was young, he probably thought his name was Jake-no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Here's how it looks currently. Crabby ate all the grandis palys but hasn't found the utter chaos yet. I ripped out a pest paly in my macro tank and left it in his cave to find.

MVIMG_20190705_220428.thumb.jpg.0d2256d45f263abc8156ff28db3c5587.jpg

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
On 7/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, Ratvan said:

I like Mythological names so Karkinos. He helped Hercules battle the Hydra.  

Or puns, everyone loves a pun.

Clawd/Clawdia

Shelly/Shelldon

Good lord that’s deep! Maybe I’ll rename The Brain something powerful like Leonidas since he’s king of the tank and takes on any challengers? 

• Like 1

Caught the crab out today! I think he was hungry since he ate all the grandis palys and hasn't been brave enough to go find the utter chaos. I was thinking he might eat the toadstool but he hasn't touched it. He stared at me for awhile and slowwwwly went back to his cave.... I dropped a toxic brown killer pally from my macro tank in his cave... he stared at me awhile longer suspicious but eventually went for the paly like a greedy crab and chowed down 🙂 I am betting the super brown toxic ones are his fav flavor too!

The fish sometimes sits in the cave with him and slaps the crab in the face with its tail. The crab just moves away and doesn't seem to have any interest in making a move on a fish. My guess is a live fish just isn't high on his menu when your main diet is palys with some scavenging. 

MVIMG_20190706_205353

I wish this guy would eat more, he is a bit skinny on arrival, he seems like he wants to greedily only eat a few pieces at a time and then ignores everything after. He likes frequent small meals and greedily approaches me but only a few bites then done and I haven't been able to get him to eat nori. He doesn't pick at the rock so not sure algae is on his menu?

Some sites list these guys not safe with corals but he doesn't have any interest in them either. 

MVIMG_20190706_205543

• Like 6

Love Tamatoa! And I think your guy looks similar enough to him when under actinics.

Sorry to hear that the blenny isn't eating much. Still, he's sooo adorable!

• Like 1

Tank is actually doing really well. I haven't done a water change in awhile, heavy feedings but no pest algae because the caulerpa is growing like crazy!!!! I have pruned it back already, it seems to grow 2 cm a day! I plan on doing a water change today because I really need to be replacing trace elements. 

The SPS are looking great. They are basically just my 'oops' frags. 

I guess since macro and SPS like it here, I will go with that. Caulerpa with SPS seems like such an odd-ball combo but the tisbe pods have exploded since adding macro and are all over everything. I still have the NPS in here and they look great too. 

Tamatoa found my utter chaos and ate them all in 48 hours lol He even pulled the frag plug free of the super glue. He has a huge appetite! So far he has not bothered any other coral in the tank. 

• Like 4

Added a green porcelain crab awhile back and a anenome porcelain crab. They pretty shy so far but I do see them a lot.... just never in a good spot to photograph.

I also added a polka dot hermit crab. These guys are my favorite and I was super excited to see reef cleaners had them. I think they are so pretty. Neon orange legs and purple body with white spots and a super oversize claw to cover his enterance with. 

MVIMG_20190713_003511

MVIMG_20190713_003521

Sun corals were looking hungry

MVIMG_20190713_000302

Removed a lot of macro growth...great way to export nutrients! The BEST filter 🙂

MVIMG_20190713_001738

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

That hermit looks so fun! I might end up placing a reef cleaners order by the end of the day... lol 

Suncorals are looking good!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yoshii said:

What a cute hermit!

Glad to hear the sps-macro combo is working out. Are you planning to add more sps instead of zoas?

I had to swap plans because reef cleaners gifted me a crab that eats palys as it's main diet in the wild. Also if I add the clingfish...they live in close association with SPS so eating parasites so guessing they won't mind.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:26 PM, Tamberav said:

Here is the new scape and lots of pissed off corals 🙂 basically it is two rocks...ha! I wanted to give open space for the clingfish to swim. The mp10 was replaced with a weaksauce powerhead so I don't shoot the clingfish into the wall.

Replacing the fan on the tide didn't fix the problem so I ordered a new driver and diverted the fans power to a usb in the mean time. Janky style! 

MVIMG_20190701_161717.thumb.jpg.81636575c23823556f508530029f2241.jpg

MVIMG_20190701_161654.thumb.jpg.b3212f8e897fb069138c53d25a602ada.jpg

Looking really good. Love the livestock in your pico.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Tamberav said:

Well these little cuties went in today 🙂 They are doing so well! 

MVIMG_20190715_212130

MVIMG_20190715_212249

MVIMG_20190715_212048

You may have said this, but what are those? A type of pipefish?

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You may have said this, but what are those? A type of pipefish?

Not pipes, they are Yellow Stripe Clingfish 

Diademichthys lineatus

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Not pipes, they are Yellow Stripe Clingfish 

Diademichthys lineatus

Hmm, are clingfish venomous? I feel like I heard that somewhere?🤔

I don’t know much about them. Are they similar to the freshwater algae eater that get huge? A pleco I think?

31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hmm, are clingfish venomous? I feel like I heard that somewhere?🤔

I don’t know much about them. Are they similar to the freshwater algae eater that get huge? A pleco I think?

No not venomous, and not related to a FW fish, they can cling but don't eat algae. They are as big as they will ever get and they actually swim a lot

There is little to no information about them. It seems they are uncommon in the hobby and not often successfully kept due to difficulty feeding. 

In the wild they use sea urchins spines for protection and eat the urchins feet. They also like to hide in SPS and eat parasitic bivalves and shrimp eggs (from shrimp that live with the urchin). 

932339.jpg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
31 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

No not venomous, and not related to a FW fish, they can cling but don't eat algae. They are as big as they will ever get and they actually swim a lot

There is little to no information about them. It seems they are uncommon in the hobby and not often successfully kept due to difficulty feeding. 

In the wild they use sea urchins spines for protection and eat the urchins feet. They also like to hide in SPS and eat parasitic bivalves and shrimp eggs (from shrimp that live with the urchin). 

932339.jpg

Hm, well that’s interesting. Have you attempted to feed yours yet?

4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Hm, well that’s interesting. Have you attempted to feed yours yet?

Yes, I have had them awhile now in my conditioning tank, they are eating very well and have visually gained weight. One of them is actually pretty pot bellied now. 

• Like 2