Coral Vue Hydros

The Broken Janky Tank - clown crab!

Tamberav

It's the middle of the night so guess who is out creepin....

IMG_20190730_003625.thumb.jpg.52fd33f732cfaa92b316a544ef1e6d49.jpg

I gave him a paly and he is greedily eating it in a nearby cave. So far no damage to other corals or fish/inverts. He seems pretty reef safe if you don't have palys.

Caught the blenny trying to sleep too 😛

IMG_20190730_004702.thumb.jpg.599478fe18a2492376f1894238b76270.jpg

• Like 5

An older top down I meant to post... Actually added some blah colored acros since this so need to get a new FTS. 

I feed about half a cube to a full cube of food a day + reef roids now and again so nutrients might be crazy....idk I don't test. Maybe the macro is handling it.

MVIMG_20190725_164022.thumb.jpg.7862f317387521beac7dc4474b744b1b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

Also forgot to report I treated the blenny for internal parasites with food soaked in general cure and he is doing much better now and eats well.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Also forgot to report I treated the blenny for internal parasites with food soaked in general cure and he is doing much better now and eats well.

What did you use to treat the Parasites?

• Like 1

Photo dump! only change I did was add some already brown acros... which will probably stay brown? I feed this tank a lot 🙂

MVIMG_20190801_184244

Brown but happy?

MVIMG_20190801_184529

Setosa always bright!

MVIMG_20190801_184538

Clingfish!! They get so excited when they see me they will poke their long noses out of the water when I look in from the top :wub: 

MVIMG_20190801_184651

MVIMG_20190801_184757

MVIMG_20190801_184836

MVIMG_20190801_184839

MVIMG_20190801_185257

Blenny hanging out on the macro 🙂

MVIMG_20190801_185144

• Like 7
  • Wow 7
2 hours ago, lizzyann said:

The clingfish are so cool!! 😍

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I really like how this is shaping up.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I really like how this is shaping up.

Thanks guys 🙂 really happy with the little tank, it's a lot of fun and no stress. 1g water change once a week and top off every few days and that is all I do. :happydance:

I guess when I am like 80 I could still have a reef tank this size 😉 Just got to be able to lift a glass for the water change. I bet I could manage that + my walker! 😛😁 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Photo dump! only change I did was add some already brown acros... which will probably stay brown? I feed this tank a lot 🙂

MVIMG_20190801_184244

Brown but happy?

MVIMG_20190801_184529

Setosa always bright!

MVIMG_20190801_184538

Clingfish!! They get so excited when they see me they will poke their long noses out of the water when I look in from the top :wub: 

MVIMG_20190801_184651

MVIMG_20190801_184757

MVIMG_20190801_184836

MVIMG_20190801_184839

MVIMG_20190801_185257

Blenny hanging out on the macro 🙂

MVIMG_20190801_185144

It looks great in there.....sooo clear. 😊

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It looks great in there.....sooo clear. 😊

Thanks! I am not sure how... 🤔 The tank gets about a half a cube of mysis + reef roids every day. Macro grows quickly, I rip out handful every week... so I guess it's doing its job.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

great job! all around just beautiful. I did really like the 1st scape tho. but I know you wanted to have more swimming room for the cling fish.  

speaking of such a cool fish sounds like they have are great personality. wonder if all are as easy as yours? or maybe you just got lucky...or just that good . lol 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Just WOW!

11 hours ago, yoshii said:

LOVE the Clingfish! This tank is really awesome, love seeing the progression too!

Thank you!

9 hours ago, devaji108 said:

great job! all around just beautiful. I did really like the 1st scape tho. but I know you wanted to have more swimming room for the cling fish.  

speaking of such a cool fish sounds like they have are great personality. wonder if all are as easy as yours? or maybe you just got lucky...or just that good . lol 

Ya I worked hard on that scape! I was going to cover the scape with encrusting corals and zoa's to try and keep the rocks shape under it all but came across the oddballs I have now so it had to be tore down. The scape is intact though, just sitting in my conditioning tank instead. 

I am not sure as I can't find enough information on them... I know a lot of people could not get them to eat but perhaps they were not trying the right foods. I found one person who successfully had them spawning and have been trying to mimic what they do with foods and clam shells.

Mine are both female and I believe and the males are SUPER hard to get eating foods because their mouths are even tinier. They rely more heavily on urchin feet and even partially cannibalize their own eggs which I guess is natural since the females can eat a wider range of foods to... produce both offspring and eggs for the male. 

The good thing about them though is once they get eating, they are very eager eaters and... definitely not shy fish... never hiding, always in my face begging. They learned about the 'clam dishes' fairly quickly and will go to them to feed so they are capable of being trained/learning behaviors.

Way different than pipefish although they look similar.... I don't think these guys eat pods at all and they are more agile swimmers except their 'aim' for food is poor... but have been getting better and better. It might be the way their eyes are positioned. I have pods all over and they show no interest, I think that might be a common mistake as I saw people add them to their big tanks with 'lots of pods' and the fish would disappear after a short time. 

They would look fantastic in a SPS tank that could keep up with their dietary needs. They like to serpentine in and out of even the tiny SPS in there. They are built for that sort of swimming to find parasitic bivalves to feed on and for protection in the SPS branches. 

They are super social with each other and I would like to get some more of I ever come across them (for a bigger tank ofc). 

Long-winded post but trying to share info about all the oddballs in this tank in case others try and keep them in the future. 

• Like 7

Very cool fish, and excellent information.  I believe it's your dedication, research, and skills that have brought you success with these fish.  I'd hate to see other people try these without being fully prepared to meet their unique demands.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, seabass said:

Very cool fish, and excellent information.  I believe it's your dedication, research, and skills that have brought you success with these fish.  I'd hate to see other people try these without being fully prepared to meet their unique demands.

Thanks seabass, I honestly expected to fail but knew they were doomed at the LFS too. Did as much research as possible but I think the biggest thing is to be prepared with a wide variety of food which often means ordering stuff online and finding live foods. The expense of the food surpasses the cost of the fish.  

• Like 5

I had read some old forum archives of people getting them onto various foods, from pellets to frozen, by using little shells or, in one case, a clear-acrylic box with a holding-dish to protect the food and fish from current and to allow them to just snack at their leisure. 
Awesome to see someone keeping them around successfully.

• Like 2

Disaster!!! 

We have central air but our bedroom is upstairs and is the last on the line...so it basically gets no air and it's right where the sun bakes the house every day. 

To combat this we have a air conditioner I leave on during the day for the aquariums. Unfortunately it has a built in trip...and it tripped when I was away!! It has never tripped before but we all know Murphy's Law...

The IM25 is okay...it's a larger volumn of water and it didn't get as warm I guess and it has a lot more gas exchange.

The 2.5 wasn't so lucky... The fish are okay though!! So are the crabs....phew...that's all that really matters to me.

One of the caulerpas completely melted and so did all of the Monti's and birdsnest. The LPS and softies are okay and oddly...the acros are okay...one looks pissed but the stag could not give a crap about anything atm.

The tank smelled...how you don't want it to smell....like old fish...from the dying coral and probably moreso from caulerpa soup. I am guessing one thing got stressed and died and started a chain reaction.

Everything is covered in brown now...maybe just thick diatoms or brown micro algae? Definitely not cyano or dino....

I have been doing water changes since...as I can't seem to completely get rid of the smell. I dosed a little bacteria too and changed the carbon.

Anywho it could have been way worse and goes to show one equipment failure is all it takes to push a pico over the edge. 

• Sad 10
  • Wow 2
32 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

So sorry - so happy the fish made it though

Thanks... everything was just frags from my other tank so it's no real loss...just a hot mess... literally...to clean up.

• Like 2