Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

Possibly something from your last rock to the back wall. It could create another arch, overhang, tunnel for your fish to swim through. And a shaded spot. Even if it was a tongan branch leaning against the black wall. I like your rock, with the scooped out sections, the curves. If you do add something, make sure it compliments that look. I like the idea of the nanorox on the long side against the wall. 

My experience with the nano-cubes, the Fluval Spec, it was always a fight to get the most live rock in the tanks, as well as keeping an area around it free so you could clean the glass. The EVO 13.5 is almost perfect in this regard.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Hi friends. I’m looking for advice from some of you long term reefers. I feel a little bored with the coral and live rock set up in my tank and I want to add something else. I’ve included a few pictures of my tank, anyone have any aquascaping advice for me? I feel like the whole top half of my tank is wasted space and I want to use it. I’m thinking I want to build upwards on the left side of my tank, basically take the arch I’ve made, and make it bigger and taller. Do you think that’s a good idea? I’m still new to reefing, so I’m wondering if I should just be patient and let my current corals grow and eventually take up more space. If you guys have seen cool setups that you think I might like, please, post pictures or links!

The only other big thing to be aware of is 85% of the time I view my tank from the long side (picture 1). Sometimes I look at it from the other side (picture 2) but that’s mostly just when I’m trying to clean or see a fish/coral from a different angle. 

Also sorry it’s so cloudy, I just cleaned. 

59EEED36-E21F-4671-ADDE-683B74DE1EE0.jpeg

BA5EB2A5-05F5-4042-886C-CF4264DE96FC.jpeg

Doing a great job!  Looks great 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Hannahhhh

@billygoat and @Wonderboy thanks for the advice, I just ordered some nanorox! Can’t wait for them to arrive! I’ll look into a gorgonian. Unfortunately all the ones I like seem to be non photosynthetic but hopefully I’ll find a nice one that’s photosynthetic!

• Like 3
billygoat
3 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

I’ll look into a gorgonian. Unfortunately all the ones I like seem to be non photosynthetic but hopefully I’ll find a nice one that’s photosynthetic!

Shopping for gorgonians can be sort of difficult because retailers often post pictures of them that show the animal with its polyps fully retracted, which is not what it's going to look like in your tank (unless it ends up being extremely unhappy all the time!). When I was choosing my gorgs I copy-pasted the scientific names of each of them into Google and did an image search to see what they looked like in nature. The difference between a retracted gorgonian and a fully extended one can be pretty extreme, so keep that in mind if you decide to get one!

• Like 2

Hannah, YouTube has great videos on this topic. BRSTV gives great explanations with animations. They also discuss how to maintain proper levels. I’m 4 months into my mixed reef and couldn’t have done it without YouTube and this site. I also watch videos from Tidal Gardens on YouTube. Very informative about how to care for just about every coral. Happy reefing

• Like 3
Hannahhhh
7 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Nice little tank. one of the best evos i've seen. Is your seriatapora still doing well?

Omg what a wonderful complement! Thank you so much! Yes, it’s doing very well and I just added another today! The pink one has already started to sprout a new branch (it’s just a bud at this point but I’m still proud!) I’m going to post a photo pretty soon, as soon as I turn the tank lights back on!

• Like 3
Hannahhhh

Guys. Have you ever seen such a pretty coral? I I only just added it but I’m obsessed with it.  I hope feeding each head doesn’t become too much of a hassle but with how pretty it is, I might not even care! 

(Please ignore my leather coral, it threw a tantrum the second I turned off my lights)

3629BF27-494F-41A1-9240-E48A49A7AB43.jpeg

E8F42C69-351E-4F96-9097-B276AFEFD983.jpeg

• Like 5

What do you guys use to clean your glass? I’ve been using a mag float but it’s somewhat too big for my tank and I’m not sure I love it. I was going to order a smaller one, but first I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations on different brands that you like more. 

I like using a Kent Pro Scraper (super fast and gets the hard to get stuff off - - comes in different lengths) and Nimble Nano (super small and low profile).  

Everyone seems to be using that Flipper Nano though.  Never used it, so don't know how it performs.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Ok jk this is the last one tonight I promise, I just want to show that my big leather isn’t ALWAYS angry at me!

0DE3CE8C-CFB9-40C1-89B3-05628F90B93E.jpeg

Wow your evo is looking amazing.. your reef is really coming along.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

What do you guys use to clean your glass? I’ve been using a mag float but it’s somewhat too big for my tank and I’m not sure I love it. I was going to order a smaller one, but first I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations on different brands that you like more. 

I use a Flipper... but to be honest with you I have never actually employed the flipping function. I mostly just use the bladed side. It seems like a nice glass cleaner, but sometimes I sort of wish I had a simple handled scraper for certain hard-to-reach spots.

• Like 1

Tunze care magnet nano. Best scraper I have ever used. I also have a small hand-held steel bladed scraper, but it is hardly needed if you keep up with maintenance on the glass. Mainly use the hand scraper for the back chamber wall.

Love the tank. What is the coral you have in the back that has a long tube and then like a pink feather duster looking thing on it? Never seen one of those and I need one haha!

14 minutes ago, msummerf said:

Love the tank. What is the coral you have in the back that has a long tube and then like a pink feather duster looking thing on it? Never seen one of those and I need one haha!

Feather Duster Worm. Gorgeous isn't it? I want one

• Like 1