Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

Added this handsome fella today. He’s the tiniest little creature, when I took out the bag to acclimate him, I couldn’t see him because he was hiding behind a crease in the bag. 

Also check out my Instagram @nanoreeftanker I got a funny video of my pom pom today but it’s too long to post here

8D306180-682E-4060-B4FB-EEEB2956BD02.jpeg

• Like 5
Just now, Tigahboy said:

Nice new addition!  That's an exceptionally cute goby.

Thanks! I totally agree! I saw him at my LFS when I bought the live rock to start my tank and I decided if he was still there in a month or two I would get him. I cant believe nobody snagged him, I honestly think he’s so tiny that no one saw him 🙂 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

Added this handsome fella today. He’s the tiniest little creature, when I took out the bag to acclimate him, I couldn’t see him because he was hiding behind a crease in the bag. 

Also check out my Instagram @nanoreeftanker I got a funny video of my pom pom today but it’s too long to post here

8D306180-682E-4060-B4FB-EEEB2956BD02.jpeg

Nice!! Fyi if you post the Instagram link here we can view the video in the thread😁

• Like 1

Does anyone have any suggestions for pairing my goby with a shrimp? (Species, size, etc). He’s so little, the shrimp will likely be bigger than him. 

Any tips for convincing the goby and the shrimp that they want to live together? 

• Like 1

I got this beauty today at the LFS. They had me convinced that they’re easy to care for, but the more I read about them, the more nervous I get. I’m worried I’m gonna kill it. From my reading it seems like the big thing is maintaining stable water parameters and keeping my alkalinity in line. Any other big things? I was told I can feed reef roids twice a week for feeding. 

Its so so beautiful to watch!

51FBD96F-5761-4C8D-9E9F-24AA649AAF78.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Ugh live aquaria lists them as “difficult” to care for. I should have done more research before buying the coco, but I trusted that store and they said they’re super easy... 

4 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Ugh live aquaria lists them as “difficult” to care for. I should have done more research before buying the coco, but I trusted that store and they said they’re super easy... 

It is very pretty but usually not recommended in new tanks because they need stability in the water. Just keep an eye on it and keep it fed....it may be fine in there. 😊

i have a Tiger Pistol with my YWG. They are hilarious to watch. You just have to add the shrimp and let them work out the details. 😄

(followed you on IG.)

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It is very pretty but usually not recommended in new tanks because they need stability in the water. Just keep an eye on it and keep it fed....it may be fine in there. 😊

i have a Tiger Pistol with my YWG. They are hilarious to watch. You just have to add the shrimp and let them work out the details. 😄

(followed you on IG.)

I hope I can keep it alive, it’s quickly becoming my favorite thing to watch in the tank 😥 I’d feel so guilty if I killed it. I’m contemplating seeing if the LFS will take it back but I doubt they will. I’m thinking I’ll hold onto it for awhile and see how I can do. 

• Like 3

Beautiful coco worm. It should be placed in an area with steady but not-too-strong flow - enough to ruffle its tentacles but not so much that it is bent over or forced to withdraw. Occasionally hitting your rocks with a turkey baster to move particulates into the water can help your worm stay happy between feedings too. Just be careful not to blast the worm itself!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Beautiful coco worm. It should be placed in an area with steady but not-too-strong flow - enough to ruffle its tentacles but not so much that it is bent over or forced to withdraw. Occasionally hitting your rocks with a turkey baster to move particulates into the water can help your worm stay happy between feedings too. Just be careful not to blast the worm itself!

I think it’s pretty happy where I have it currently, he’s out all the time so I think he likes it. Thanks for the tip about the turkey baster, I’ll definitely do that!

• Like 2

I’m finding that maybe half the time I look at my tank, my coco worm is hiding within his tube. The other half the time, he’s happily out and filtering. Is that normal/ok? My water flow doesn’t directly hit the worm so I don’t think it’s forcing him back into the tube. 

• Like 1

Well look who manages to team up! They seem to get along very well.

My only concern is I haven’t seen my goby in a day or two. I’m worried I buried him/collapsed his tunnel when I siphoned my sand... hopefully I’m wrong and he’ll come back soon!

In other news, the coco worm seems to be doing fine. It’s usually out filter feeding when I walk by, although some of the time it does chooses to hide in its tube.

My rastas went from 2 to 3 heads! Very exciting for me, it’s the first really noticeable growth I’ve had!

And lastly, one of my green mushrooms has been on the move since the day I put him in. He’s almost off of his original rock and onto my live rock, fingers crossed he keeps moving and attaches to the live rock!!

46FF8EF5-6FDB-429C-8CC2-2E388C0AEE36.jpeg

• Like 7

Looking good! Maybe just stir detritus up with a turkey baster; I would not vac the sediment with any pistol shrimps in such a tiny tank. No setup will share all maintenance procedures with another. Many swear by it, but I have never grav-vaccuumed any of my setups - I don't like the idea of sucking out microfauna (to me they are cuc - especially the munnids). I hope that he's well somewhere in there (do you have a cover on the tank?)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

And lastly, one of my green mushrooms has been on the move since the day I put him in. He’s almost off of his original rock and onto my live rock, fingers crossed he keeps moving and attaches to the live rock!!

It's interesting; I've had all of my mushrooms and ricordea push themselves off the small frags of live rock they came in on and shift over to the rock to which those frags were glued. It's a multi-month process but eventually I find little chunks of rubble sitting down on my substrate underneath the 'shrooms. Weird! I'm glad to hear my mushrooms aren't the only ones that do that 😄

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Looking good! Maybe just stir detritus up with a turkey baster; I would not vac the sediment with any pistol shrimps in such a tiny tank. No setup will share all maintenance procedures with another. Many swear by it, but I have never grav-vaccuumed any of my setups - I don't like the idea of sucking out microfauna (to me they are cuc - especially the munnids).l

I didn’t even think about issues vacuuming with a pistol shrimp, I’m glad you mentioned it. I tend to vacuum in a pretty gentle way, so I wouldn’t worry that I’d suck him out, but I could definitely make his tunnels collapse. I’ll be very careful moving forward 

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I hope that he's well somewhere in there (do you have a cover on the tank?)

Ugh I hope he’s there too, although I still haven’t seen him. I have a lid on my tank, though it does have a small opening. I don’t think he would be likely to jump through it, and I don’t see him on the floor anywhere (although if my dog saw him on the ground, he would 10,000% eat him). 

3 hours ago, billygoat said:

It's interesting; I've had all of my mushrooms and ricordea push themselves off the small frags of live rock they came in on and shift over to the rock to which those frags were glued. It's a multi-month process but eventually I find little chunks of rubble sitting down on my substrate underneath the 'shrooms. Weird! I'm glad to hear my mushrooms aren't the only ones that do that 😄

Me too! I’m glad it’s a normal behavior!

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Awesome!

"10,0000%" too funny!

That’s my dog for you. He steals lettuce and carrot tops from our pet bunny. You’d think I was starving him. 

3C8E8DAC-C2EC-4FD8-BE42-C11935052DE9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
Hannahhhh

Hi friends. I’m looking for advice from some of you long term reefers. I feel a little bored with the coral and live rock set up in my tank and I want to add something else. I’ve included a few pictures of my tank, anyone have any aquascaping advice for me? I feel like the whole top half of my tank is wasted space and I want to use it. I’m thinking I want to build upwards on the left side of my tank, basically take the arch I’ve made, and make it bigger and taller. Do you think that’s a good idea? I’m still new to reefing, so I’m wondering if I should just be patient and let my current corals grow and eventually take up more space. If you guys have seen cool setups that you think I might like, please, post pictures or links!

The only other big thing to be aware of is 85% of the time I view my tank from the long side (picture 1). Sometimes I look at it from the other side (picture 2) but that’s mostly just when I’m trying to clean or see a fish/coral from a different angle. 

Also sorry it’s so cloudy, I just cleaned. 

59EEED36-E21F-4671-ADDE-683B74DE1EE0.jpeg

BA5EB2A5-05F5-4042-886C-CF4264DE96FC.jpeg

• Like 4
Wonderboy

I think it's looking good - it's convenient for small tanks to have plenty room for growing out, fish, and preserving maintenance access.

A larger bridge rock could offer additional spots for some new stuff.

Nanorox maybe on the back or the right side are options for utilizing that space without much change also.

And just to throw it out there, you could perform a refugium mod for the benefits of nutrient export and more, but mostly boredom alleviation.

• Like 2
Hannahhhh
21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I think it's looking good - it's convenient for small tanks to have plenty room for growing out, fish, and preserving maintenance access.

A larger bridge rock could offer additional spots for some new stuff.

Nanorox maybe on the back or the right side are options for utilizing that space without much change also.

And just to throw it out there, you could perform a refugium mod for the benefits of nutrient export and more, but mostly boredom alleviation.

Woah I love nanorox! Thanks for that suggestion, I definitely envision getting some of those in the future! 

I’ll look into a refugium too. 

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1
billygoat

Gorgonians are also a great way to fill up some vertical space. Most are fairly easy to care for (just make sure the species you get are photosynthetic!) and won't cast too much shade on things below them.

Also +1 to Nanorox! Personally I rather like the low profile look of your tank, but some Nanorox would be a great way to add some additional livestock without disrupting the current 'scape.

• Like 3