Jump to content
Christopher Marks

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Recommended Posts

This guy is extra salty

I’m planning on using accel water proof string lights 

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
seabass
1 hour ago, Eclipse522 said:

I am joining the fun. Secret lagoon

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.  Glad you could join us.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
mariahranch

Decided to enter the contest! I’ve never participated in anything like this before so it will be a true adventure.

 

Here’s my build thread, awaiting my actual tank to arrive:

 

“Old school can be so cool” pico contest entry

 

 

I also wanted to know if it would be allowed to have a second entry? I’d like to do another tank all with leftover parts from my freshwater days over 10 years ago. Please let me know 😀

 

Second “it must be free” secret tank:

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
On 3/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Surface skimmer modifications for hang on back filter

Welcome! 

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
On 3/25/2019 at 10:41 AM, hotdrop said:

Might be fun can we limit it to frags only? It’s kind of lame to have people shove a couple hundred dollars of mature coral and rock into a pico and show off a gorgeous reef. A big part of the challenge should be to grow out the pico not just decorate it. 

Agreed...one of the most irritating things in the hobby is seeing someone with a brand new tank full of already-matured coral heads calling it "new".  

 

"If you say so..." 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
asting
40 minutes ago, mariahranch said:

Decided to enter the contest! I’ve never participated in anything like this before so it will be a true adventure.

 

Here’s my build thread, awaiting my actual tank to arrive:

 

“Old school can be so cool” pico contest entry

 

 

I also wanted to know if it would be allowed to have a second entry? I’d like to do another tank all with leftover parts from my freshwater days over 10 years ago. Please let me know 😀

 

Sounds like the newly registered rariahmanch is entering. 

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Agreed...one of the most irritating things in the hobby is seeing someone with a brand new tank full of already-matured coral heads calling it "new".  

 

"If you say so..." 🙄

+1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Agreed...one of the most irritating things in the hobby is seeing someone with a brand new tank full of already-matured coral heads calling it "new".  

 

"If you say so..." 🙄

I mean, it's too late now. The rules have no stipulations on corals. 

 

Everyone has to produce a monthly tank shot. So you'll be able to see someone's progress and if they have nothing in the tank for 6 months and decide to stock it at the end, then you'll know. Then just don't vote for them at the end. 🤷‍♀️

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
spectra

One stocking issue I see is somethings just dont multiply really fast......yes some zoas can go nuts in a small amount of time. But other things not so much.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ChristopherDido

I'm in! I present to you Dr. Seuss's Truffula Tank.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Anyone know how to shorten the extension tube on the aquaclear filters?

 

I already cut the U tube and still the extension is too long, I'd prefer it mid tank.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
asting
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Anyone know how to shorten the extension tube on the aquaclear filters?

 

I already cut the U tube and still the extension is too long, I'd prefer it mid tank.

 

 

 

You can use flex tubing internally to sleeve it, or cut just below the wider part on the bottom, cut the bottom shorter, then use the wider "ring" to reglue around where you need it.

 

60u22rO.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, MetaTank said:

I'm going to hoard them till I find some project for them. Might try a freshwater planted shrimp tank or something. I have 2 JBJ Picotopes that are like 3 gallons each, I bet they would work well with these filters for a low flow project

That looks like the filter that came with the 3 gallon picotope. I still have one tank and filter. Emergency QT tank.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
spectra
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Anyone know how to shorten the extension tube on the aquaclear filters?

 

I already cut the U tube and still the extension is too long, I'd prefer it mid tank.

 

 

 

 

6 hours ago, asting said:

You can use flex tubing internally to sleeve it, or cut just below the wider part on the bottom, cut the bottom shorter, then use the wider "ring" to reglue around where you need it.

 

60u22rO.jpg

 

Just what was said above ^^^^^

 

I cut mine and re glued it with ICE Gel. Worked out well. I just cut mine with a utility knife. Just be careful.............

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
7 hours ago, asting said:

You can use flex tubing internally to sleeve it, or cut just below the wider part on the bottom, cut the bottom shorter, then use the wider "ring" to reglue around where you need it.

 

60u22rO.jpg

 

Thank you!

I have been trying to figure out how I could do it and drawing blanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wendy

This is going to be great & I want to be a part of it!

20190406_211339.thumb.jpg.24d473f00945c596f5e18721df7a360e.jpg

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
On 4/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, asting said:

Damnit. I just spent $130 at liveaquaria. Why you do this to me?

 

 

no, not doing it. Holding off until it's needed.

Listen, I THOUGHT I got a good deal for one on eBay for $29, then I found the one for $24 on BRS, so I wasted 5 bucks there, if it makes you feel better. Just trying to share the BETTER deal that I wish I coulda taken advantage of...lol omgomgomg

 

 

And because of YOU @asting, I'm thinking about one of those 20 gallon Cubeys :haha:

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
On 4/7/2019 at 12:33 PM, debbeach13 said:

That looks like the filter that came with the 3 gallon picotope. I still have one tank and filter. Emergency QT tank.

Funny enough, I set one up (on a plastiv water with the top cut off...lol) and they are a little beefier than the filters that came with the Pictopes if I remember correctly. I really am pleased with the build quality on them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
1 hour ago, Wendy said:

This is going to be great & I want to be a part of it!

20190406_211339.thumb.jpg.24d473f00945c596f5e18721df7a360e.jpg

Your gonna have soo much fun with this pico 🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
1 hour ago, Wendy said:

This is going to be great & I want to be a part of it!

20190406_211339.thumb.jpg.24d473f00945c596f5e18721df7a360e.jpg

Welcome! Glad to have another tank to follow along!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
3 hours ago, Wendy said:

This is going to be great & I want to be a part of it!

20190406_211339.thumb.jpg.24d473f00945c596f5e18721df7a360e.jpg

More Cheetos! Yes!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...