SaltCritters.com

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

This looks like fun, I think I'm going to give it a shot!

I picked through the thread and didn't see anything relating to bacteria, so I figured I should ask. Are we required to cycle the competition tank from scratch, or are we allowed to use cycled media from an existing tank? Catching up is going to be a bear this late into the signup cycle, but I want to play fair

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, AugyBear said:

Excellent.

14 minutes ago, AugyBear said:

Are we required to cycle the competition tank from scratch, or are we allowed to use cycled media from an existing tank? Catching up is going to be a bear this late into the signup cycle, but I want to play fair

No restrictions on rock, media, or bacteria cultures.  Feel free to take from another tank as you wish.  Even though some tanks are already stocked, you really aren't that far behind.  Mine is still dry.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

No restrictions on rock, media, or bacteria cultures.  Feel free to take from another tank as you wish.  Even though some tanks are already stocked, you really aren't that far behind.  Mine is still dry.

Awesome! I'll pick up some supplies from work today and get things started. Working at an aquarium shop is nice until you realize most of your paycheck is going right back into the store 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, AugyBear said:

I picked through the thread and didn't see anything relating to bacteria, so I figured I should ask. Are we required to cycle the competition tank from scratch, or are we allowed to use cycled media from an existing tank? Catching up is going to be a bear this late into the signup cycle, but I want to play fair

Hi Austin! It's Christina 🙂 Glad to see you're setting up another tank!

Don't worry about starting late, mine just has sand and water right now lol

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, William said:

Can you use a canister filter Instead of a HOB? 

Canister filters are on the prohibited list.  Basically just HOBs.  

• Like 1

Hmm.... well I do have literally all of the stuff on the list (even tho I’ll end up buying a whole Bunch of new stuff and go way over budget, *edit).... I’ll do it 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Good luck everyone!!  ❤️

Thank you,  I know I am having a blast and love this little tank.  It may not be one of the best tanks but I enjoy looking at it more than my big tank.  Some of the posters are so creative in their tanks it makes the journals fun to read.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Joevember said:

Team UNS!

And yes, the snack I have in there is 4 peanuts. That's how many were left in the tin.

:welcome:

Christopher Marks
On 4/17/2019 at 7:37 PM, KnH said:

Any Issue doing a rotation, front viewing panel 8"w x 12"h

170895-center-1.jpg

This won't be permitted for this competition. One goal of using similarly sized tanks is to have a common footprint amongst all entries, this would be too much of a variation.

This guy is extra salty
On 4/17/2019 at 9:37 PM, KnH said:

Any Issue doing a rotation, front viewing panel 8"w x 12"h

170895-center-1.jpg

I thought about that. When I was building my tank. 12Hx6Wx8L. But as @Christopher Marks has said it wouldn’t be allowed, plus I have already made too many disqualified tanks for this contest. 🤣

• Haha 6

After much consideration...I can't join in on this contest! 😭

Unfortunately I had set-up a 2.5 pico for my girlfriend exactly 1 week before the contest was announced! 😖

This, combined with other factors (finishing grad school, travel, and job hunting) means that I really shouldn't be undertaking any new aquarium projects for a while. I'll be cheering on from the sidelines though, and will be looking forward to participating (finally!) in the next competition! I'll also carve out some time to start a thread for my NUVO 40 (and possibly the GF's pico).
Good luck all!

• Sad 1
This guy is extra salty
29 minutes ago, Grundler said:

After much consideration...I can't join in on this contest! 😭

Unfortunately I had set-up a 2.5 pico for my girlfriend exactly 1 week before the contest was announced! 😖

This, combined with other factors (finishing grad school, travel, and job hunting) means that I really shouldn't be undertaking any new aquarium projects for a while. I'll be cheering on from the sidelines though, and will be looking forward to participating (finally!) in the next competition! I'll also carve out some time to start a thread for my NUVO 40 (and possibly the GF's pico).
Good luck all!

Dump everything out and start a new thread 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic