SaltCritters.com

Kickin' It Old School 2.5g Pico Reef Competition! 😎🎓

Christopher Marks

6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The whole idea behind the competition is to go "old school" with a simple tank, and no frills traditional HOB filter

Unfortunately I think your right , but I dont like it "old school" . Shoot i get more enjoyment from the mods of a tank then the actual marine life lol.. I'm glad @This guy is extra salty is going custom . Love that stuff even if it's not the point of this competition...😋

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue

Berlin method and kalkwasser  1970, skimmer invented 1937, implemented in the hobby in 60’s. Not sure what some of you consider old school but perhaps you should get rig off all of those LEDs, GFO,  ceramic bio-media, dosing pumps/2 part, electronic heaters and temp. controllers and make it real fun.

😂🤣😂 

• Haha 1

I honestly wish we could use DIY skimmers- an HOB like the Undertheradar design from back in the day would fit the theme well and is easy to build for savvy folks.

Theres many ways to grow coral... its cool there are some restrictions. Evens out playing field some. I think the purpose of this contest is to show the many ways you can successfully grow and maintain coral in a tiny environment. With of course a personal touch. One of the reasons I joined nano reef, to see what everyone was doing to successfully grow and maintain a beautiful reef and adding my own twist to it.. Weather it was to cut expenses, grow coral faster, or have better coloration. That being said... Happy reefing everyone! 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Berlin method and kalkwasser  1970, skimmer invented 1937, implemented in the hobby in 60’s. Not sure what some of you consider old school but perhaps you should get rig off all of those LEDs, GFO,  ceramic bio-media, dosing pumps/2 part, electronic heaters and temp. controllers and make it real fun.

😂🤣😂 

I think the point is using what was available when picos became a thing.  Sure all that stuff might have been invented, but they weren't designed for picos.  and really I dont think any of us are dosing or using ceramic bio media, most probably arent using gfo. Once again, because its a pico and that type if stuff isn't really designed or makes sense for a pico.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

😂🤣😂 

I was going to run a 150 w metal halide on mine but both of the ballasts I had weren’t working.

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, Tmr8188 said:

I was going to run a 150 w metal halide on mine but both of the ballasts I had weren’t working.

I thought about a 70 watt but couldnt find a retrofit kit anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After seeing the start of some of your tanks, I'm starting to get worried that my theme might look outright lame.  Anyways, I'm married to it now.  After lunch, I went to Home Depot to gather the supplies that I needed for the construction phase of my project. :ninja:  You all didn't know there was a construction/artistic component to this contest, did you?  I've been blown away by the stands, backgrounds, statues, and DIY elements that have already been posted.  Keep up the good work, you have nothing to fear from me.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, seabass said:

After seeing the start of some of your tanks, I'm starting to get worried that my theme might look outright lame.  Anyways, I'm married to it now.  After lunch, I went to Home Depot to gather the supplies that I needed for the construction phase of my project. :ninja:  You all didn't know there was a construction/artistic component to this contest, did you?  I've been blown away by the stands, backgrounds, statues, and DIY elements that have already been posted.  Keep up the good work, you have nothing to fear from me.

I mean... I have no theme... or even a thread yet.... lol mine probably is just a box of corals?

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I mean... I have no theme... or even a thread yet.... lol mine probably is just a box of corals?

Tamberavs Box o' Corals....

Epic thread title

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Image result for seinfeld logo about nothing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Joevember said:

So this is what the cool kids are up to. I really wish I didn't f*ck up de-rimming my old 2.5 8 months ago...

Buy a new one and join in.  The Tetra 2.5 gallon tanks are only $15 at PetSmart (if a store near you has them).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Buy a new one and join in.  The Tetra 2.5 gallon tanks are only $15 at PetSmart (if a store near you has them).

What was the deadline for this to start?  I thought it had already passed. 

6 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

What was the deadline for this to start?  I thought it had already passed. 

End of april. look at the first post.

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
18 hours ago, seabass said:

I only fear being tagged for Disqualification, and starting tank v3.0

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I only fear being tagged for Disqualification, and starting tank v3.0

Incentivizing me to PM Christopher marks and lay out a compelling case for why your new one breaks the rules. 😛

• Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, asting said:

Incentivizing me to PM Christopher marks and lay out a compelling case for why your new one breaks the rules. 😛

I haven’t revealed 2.5 yet

Just now, This guy is extra salty said:

I haven’t revealed 2.5 yet

haha i'm just kidding. need to keep the supply of secondhand disqualified tanks flowing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
Just now, asting said:

haha i'm just kidding. need to keep the supply of secondhand disqualified tanks flowing.

Lol I don’t do disqualification 

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic