Pod Your Reef

Need to know if there is any algae control medications that won’t hurt corals or anemones or scaleless fish?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Getting that sandbed clean or just removing it would be a good start. I know @brandon429 would probably recommend that.

This is a great thread @EthanPhillyCheesesteak As you can see this tank had basically green slime/cyano and had a turn around, I would check it out.

I would do so and start removing the sand bed and rinse it like in this thread. I have done it myself without issue, once removing the entire and bed and other times just doing 1/3 at a time and replacing. 

The biggest point of water changes,.. is to suck out debris whether you can do 5g or 20g, try to get as much as the fish poop and organic matter out.  

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, FrontMan said:

We know exactly what parameters are best for our tanks. It’s 2019. You may not know what parameters are best, but everyone else does. Just because you choose to ignore the scientific information, doesn’t mean that it’s not true.

Small percentage water changes are absolutely horrible way to export nutrients as has been shown in this thread with real numbers. If you choose to ignore basic math, then there isn’t much help for you, but it’s irresponsible to spread that ignorance to others.

You said that 100% of the water would be changed at day 6. That’s not true. Only about 75% would be changed at the end of day 6. From there you get diminishing returns because you are changing a small percentage.

I didn’t really see any corals to speak of in the photos. Fish are pretty resilient to salinity and temp changes. A large percentage water change would be far more effective and should be relatively non eventful for this tank.

You're such a troll 😂. With too much time on your hands too. 

Stinky said 6 20% water changes will help. Sure, it might not add up to 100%, but can you deny that they’ll help? Look at the OPs tank. It’s crazy high nutrients. Getting out 70% of those would help, there is no question about it. And doing it over a week would also help- the tank has been high nutrients for a while. 

Why don’t you start trying to help the OP instead of just trying (and failing) to look intelligent? 

Or, interestingly I don’t see your thread here on NR. How do your strategies work out for you? 🙂 

• Like 1

One thing everyone arguing is forgetting is all those nutrients are bound up in the cyano, far more in the cyano's biomass than in the water. As nutrients drop to levels that won't support a huge population of cyano, it dies off and those nutrients go right back into the water column to support more cyano.

SUCK OUT THAT CRAP! EVERY...SINGLE...DAY... Then do water changes - as much and as often as you can. Cyano is probably the easiest thing to remove. You don't even have to change water to do it. Siphon it off the sand into a filter sock in a bucket. Rinse the sock, pour back the water, and repeat until it's all gone.

If you lower the nutrients in the water to zero, you are just pissing into the wind because as the cyano dies, it releases nutrients. It's gotta go.

• Like 4

I haven't been a member for long on this forum. But while I have noticed that Harry can come off a bit abrasive and a little smart ass at times. Just one look at his absolutely astonishing reefer 350 and you'll realize he's damn good at this reefing thing. Smart ass or not.........I'll take what he says as gospel. Just my two cents. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I haven't been a member for long on this forum. But while I have noticed that Harry can come off a bit abrasive and a little smart ass at times. Just one look at his absolutely astonishing reefer 350 and you'll realize he's damn good at this reefing thing. Smart ass or not.........I'll take what he says as gospel. Just my two cents. 

You always take advice from 18 year olds that haven’t graduated from high school and can’t identify basic corals over people that have degrees in marine biology and can cite facts? That’s pretty funny. Is this Harry’s second account?

5 hours ago, FrontMan said:

You always take advice from 18 year olds that haven’t graduated from high school and can’t identify basic corals over people that have degrees in marine biology and can cite facts? That’s pretty funny. Is this Harry’s second account?

He's actually in college

• Like 1
12 hours ago, FrontMan said:

Small percentage water changes are absolutely horrible way to export nutrients as has been shown in this thread with real numbers. If you choose to ignore basic math, then there isn’t much help for you, but it’s irresponsible to spread that ignorance to others.

Horse shit, it's a perfect way to export nutrients. Here's a clue by 4, I've been in the reef game since 1985. Keeping tanks from 240g down to 10g. Smaller water changes have worked for close to 35 years and I'll keep up what works for me. There's definitely no help for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, FrontMan said:

Im actually 12!  

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, FrontMan said:

You just saying that you have a degree in marine biology means nothing to me. I had no clue how old Harry was. I was basing my choice on the fact that he has two aquarium journals on here with proven success. Link me to yours and change my mind. 

• Like 2

Excuse me while I consider whether I should share personal information with a bunch of belligerent adolescent bullies online. Thanks. I’ll pass.

Anyone can scroll through this thread and see that you state falsehoods, change your mind, and then claim you didn’t say the things you wrote earlier in the thread. If someone wants to listen to your “advice” after that,  it’s  up to them.

Here’s an article from Randy Holmes-Farley on water changes. I’d suggest the OP read it: 

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

I’ll specifically quote one section that applies in this instance since OP added unfiltered water and clearly has a bacteria problem : ”How much water must be changed depends entirely on what the desired outcome of the water change actually is. If it is to reduce an accidentally added toxin, massive, immediate and repeated water changes may be appropriate.”

Notice he didn’t say small percentage water changes. He goes over when those are useful in the article. 

For the person that said we don’t know what our water parameters should be earlier in this thread, here’s the answer:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, FrontMan said:

Excuse me while I consider whether I should share personal information with a bunch of belligerent adolescent bullies online. Thanks. I’ll pass.

Anyone can scroll through this thread and see that you state falsehoods, change your mind, and then claim you didn’t say the things you wrote earlier in the thread. If someone wants to listen to your “advice” after that,  it’s  up to them.

Here’s an article from Randy Holmes-Farley on water changes. I’d suggest the OP read it: 

I’ll specifically quote one section that applies in this instance since OP added unfiltered water and clearly has a bacteria problem : ”How much water must be changed depends entirely on what the desired outcome of the water change actually is. If it is to reduce an accidentally added toxin, massive, immediate and repeated water changes may be appropriate.”

Notice he didn’t say small percentage water changes. He goes over when those are useful in the article. 

For the person that said we don’t know what our water parameters should be earlier in this thread, here’s the answer:

Sounds to me like someone has been pressing your buttons. 

Not little ol me, right?!?!?

b8Nj2OB.jpg

• Haha 2
Christopher Marks
7 hours ago, FrontMan said:

Is this @GlassHouse's second account? Or should I say bluprntguy's fourth account? I thought you left four years ago over your sour attitude? 🤷‍♂️

You're choosing to be combative in this. Are you here to help others or here to pick fights?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, FrontMan said:

You do realize all the readings/articles you’re linking and quoting literally are the same general concepts that everyone else have been suggesting?  Also, just cuz you read a lot and have a fancy degree, it doesn’t prove you got it down in practice. So start sharing a journal or photos, or chill out a bit with the “I’m better than the rest of you” rhetoric. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

You do realize all the readings/articles you’re linking and quoting literally are the same general concepts that everyone else have been suggesting?  Also, just cuz you read a lot and have a fancy degree, it doesn’t prove you got it down in practice. So start sharing a journal or photos, or chill out a bit with the “I’m better than the rest of you” rhetoric. 

We should snuggle sometime. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Is this @GlassHouse's second account? Or should I say bluprntguy's fourth account? I thought you left four years ago over your sour attitude? 🤷‍♂️

You're choosing to be combative in this. Are you here to help others or here to pick fights?

I think he has been spoiling for a fight the whole way. Sorry your thread got derailed so much, OP. Hope you can get your tank back on track soon. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

There is no degree in this thread. He says he wont share any proof of his credentials... so he isn't here to inform people and show his published work.... why exactly is a marine biologist on a hobby level forum then?  

Claiming a degree with no proof is the benchmark of bad trolls. Anyone with common sense would blur out their last name if they were worried of something happening to them. 

Yall are a bunch of nincompoops in here. :lol:

• Haha 4
Floundering_Around

What I wouldn't do for a good ol' BLOCK button. Just gonna ignore the crap out of "them". Not worth giving my self a headache over and them the attention they so obviously crave 🙃

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak have you started anything on the tank yet? Even if you just start with water changes while you wait to get other supplies, that would be better than nothing. Keep us updated! We want to see you succeed.

• Like 3

Well this seems to have escalated qickly lol.

OP, I came here to just mention that as far as algae goes, fluconazole worked great for me when nothing else worked without it. It's not a magic bullet, you must change husbandry first.

Carry on. I'll get my popcorn and follow some more.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Yes, I know frontman. Yes, we work together.

OP: apologies if I helped derail your thread. It’s very frustrating to have solved this issue many times before and to be unable to articulate things in a way to convince you. Your angel needs treatment and your tank needs to be drained and re-filled with RODI water. If you are unable to do that, please PM me and I’ll try to find an aquarium in your area that can treat and re-home your angel. Hopefully that’s helpful.

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

But I was thinking about buying these 5 gallon buckets of water from my LFS. It comes straight from the Caribbean, is that ok? Would that help?