Pod Your Reef

Need to know if there is any algae control medications that won’t hurt corals or anemones or scaleless fish?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Absolutely not a case for Fluconazole- that is just lack of maintenance. Gotta do your water changes and sand vacuuming 😞

Oh, so you are finally admitting that Fluconazole does work for algae now? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m definitely not getting rid of the clown, I put so much effort into pairing up my Gold Nugget Maroon Clown and my Occellaris Clown. I’ll have to figure it out, probably the angel.

1 minute ago, FrontMan said:

Oh, so you are finally admitting that Fluconazole does work for algae now? 

I never said it didn't work on algae- I said that it does not work "100% of the time" like it was suggested. 

After seeing that photo, you  still think the OP needs to use Fluconazole?  Lmao. Quit while you're behind bro. Don't suggest "miracle" medications without having a clue about the status of someones tank. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It’s Melafix, trying to treat the flame angel, he has something, but I’m pretty sure that it’s the start of ich.

Melafix doesn't even treat ich. I'm not sure what it would treat. It's just tea tree oil. 

If you have ich, you need to take every fish out of the tank and treat them using Chloroquine Phosphate (NOT REEF SAFE) or do the tank transfer method. You could use copper too (AGAIN, NOT REEF SAFE). You need to take care of that quickly or you are going to have even worse problems.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I never said it didn't work on algae- I said that it does not work "100% of the time" like it was suggested. 

Are you serious? Anyone can scroll back and see exactly what you said.

Harry Potter said: ”There is no chemical that will kill all the algae without harming the tank”

Thats simply UNTRUE. Anyone that knows anything about reefing in 2019 knows it’s not true. The OP clearly doesn’t have algae now that we’ve seen photos. It’s Cyanobacteria.

But your statement was still patently false and clearly uniformed. What’s your point here now? Saving face since you’ve been proven wrong? Even Tamberav says Fluconazole works on algae. You probably had never even heard of Fluconazole before today. Stop trying to give people advice when you don’t know what you are doing. Learn instead. 

• Haha 2
Floundering_Around

OP, make sure it's actually ich and not something else. I wouldn't start dosing the tank if you're going to use a non-reef safe med. Try to get the angel out and into a QT tank/container so you can 1) monitor if it actually is ich and 2) get it ready to give away.

OP, your best bet to getting your tank under control is regular water changes. Test your water source for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. If it doesn't, IMO doing water changes with crap water is better than waiting for the chance to get distilled or RO water. Just my two cents

also, can certain people 👀 take their beef to a private DM. Just joined the convo and I'm already irritated. This thread is trying to help OP, enough with the peacocking. Thanks 🙃

• Like 5

Heyy don't drag me in this lol I used it on bryopsis but even if his tank was a algae forest I wouldn't tell him to dose it. He has some serious issues going on r/t husbandry that need to be fixed. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, FrontMan said:

Are you serious? Anyone can scroll back and see exactly what you said.

Harry Potter said: ”There is no chemical that will kill all the algae without harming the tank”

Thats simply UNTRUE. Anyone that knows anything about reefing in 2019 knows it’s not true. The OP clearly doesn’t have algae now that we’ve seen photos. It’s Cyanobacteria.

But your statement was still patently false and clearly uniformed. What’s your point here now? Saving face since you’ve been proven wrong? Even Tamberav says Fluconazole works on algae. You probably had never even heard of Fluconazole before today. Stop trying to give people advice when you don’t know what you are doing. Learn instead. 

Correct- you have quoted me saying “there is no chemical that will kill all the algae without harming the tank”. 

If you say that Fluconazole is reef safe, by definition, it does not kill all the algae. If it did, the corals would die 🙂 

Speaka-da-English? 

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Correct- you have quoted me saying “there is no chemical that will kill all the algae without harming the tank”. 

If you say that Fluconazole is reef safe, by definition, it does not kill all the algae. If it did, the corals would die 🙂 

Speaka-da-English? 

Are you serious? You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Fluconazole does in fact kill algae and it doesn’t harm corals. How many people have to use it before you accept that as fact? Hundreds? DONE. Thousands? DONE. Do you need a scientific study from a university? DONE.

Just stop already.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, FrontMan said:

Are you serious? You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Fluconazole does in fact kill algae and it doesn’t harm corals. How many people have to use it before you accept that as fact? Hundreds? DONE. Thousands? DONE. Do you need a scientific study from a university? DONE.

Just stop already.

You said that it kills all algae. It does not. If it is reef safe, it does not kill all algae. Perhaps you should read up on some low-level tourist material. Here’s a hint: coral without algae would be dead coral 😉.

https://floridakeys.noaa.gov/corals/coralseat.html

ALSO, besides that, are you still honestly reccomending Fluconazole for the OP’s tank? After seeing it? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
58 minutes ago, GlassHouse said:

Melafix doesn't even treat ich. I'm not sure what it would treat. It's just tea tree oil. 

If you have ich, you need to take every fish out of the tank and treat them using Chloroquine Phosphate (NOT REEF SAFE) or do the tank transfer method. You could use copper too (AGAIN, NOT REEF SAFE). You need to take care of that quickly or you are going to have even worse problems.

It says on the back of the bottle that it treats ich and a numbe of other bacterial diseases?

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It says on the back of the bottle that it treats ich and a numbe of other bacterial diseases?

They like to print words on bottles to make you buy them. Sadly, they are just words. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m not gonna use any chemicals to clean the cyno, I’m just gonna try to do it the natural way🙃

Just now, Tamberav said:

They like to print words on bottles to make you buy them. Sadly, they are just words. 

Are you 100% sure??

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not gonna use any chemicals to clean the cyno, I’m just gonna try to do it the natural way🙃

Are you 100% sure??

Yes.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This entire thread has become a gigantic cluster#&$&, if you have any issues that you want to sort out with one another, plz take it elsewhere🙃. I just don’t want anymore arguing, it’s not getting anywhere?

Just now, Tamberav said:

Yes.

Ok, well that’s a real bummer

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Tamberav said:

A reef safe med that actually cures Ich would be mind blowing and a huge change to the hobby. 

Yea, it would be flying off the shelf’s😂

Just now, jbb_00 said:

Are you 200% sure that "words are words" asking for a friend 

Named Harold 

What?

6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This entire thread has become a gigantic cluster#&$&, if you have any issues that you want to sort out with one another, plz take it elsewhere🙃. I just don’t want anymore arguing, it’s not getting anywhere?

Ok, well that’s a real bummer

Ahh sorry man, my bad re the cluster%#^#.  

Yeah, zero reef safe ich medicine unfortunately. Same thing as with Fluconazole- if it applied broad enough to kill all algae, it would also kill all the corals.  

Edit: I like how this post is both apologizing for causing the situation, and also kind of still continuing my argument that partially caused the situation in the first place ❤️ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1