ReefCleaners.org

Need to know if there is any algae control medications that won’t hurt corals or anemones or scaleless fish?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also just got back, and my BTA is not looking good at all. I didn’t have sufficient lighting at first, and he kept going downhill, but I just got much better lighting, paid 200 bucks for it. He looks worse now tho, could it possibly just be too late?

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I also just got back, and my BTA is not looking good at all. I didn’t have sufficient lighting at first, and he kept going downhill, but I just got much better lighting, paid 200 bucks for it. He looks worse now tho, could it possibly just be too late?

What lighting did you get? 

Without a photo, we don't know if its too late. 

Re water: Yes, that salt water is probably fine, but most likely expensive as well. Usually fish stores will also sell it by the gallon if you bring your own container. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

What lighting did you get? 

Without a photo, we don't know if its too late. 

Re water: Yes, that salt water is probably fine, but most likely expensive as well. Usually fish stores will also sell it by the gallon if you bring your own container. 

I bought these lights. He’s all shriveled up and shooting out a bunch of clear gunk from his mouth. He’s still moving, but I want to know if it’s too late? I have this maxi mini in here also who is doing great.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Make sure you don't have those lights full blast. To much light is worse it will cook everything..... speaking from experience. I had my hydras way too high and just lost most of my sps. I see these in the store all the time but never really looked at them. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, vegasgundog said:

Make sure you don't have those lights full blast. To much light is worse it will cook everything..... speaking from experience. I had my hydras way too high and just lost most of my sps. I see these in the store all the time but never really looked at them. 

I’m supposed to be able to change how powerful the lights are by using the app on the phone, but for some reason I can’t seem to get it to work? Anyone have any experience with this?

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It can’t connect to the app from the lights? This has happened on both of the Fluval lights that I have owned

Can you return them?

For the same price you can grab a AI Prime.

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It can’t connect to the app from the lights? This has happened on both of the Fluval lights that I have owned

Make sure your Bluetooth is enabled on your phone in your settings. 

Did you really pay 200? They are like 140 online.

I would stick to softies and lps with this light. Keep in mind more light + bad water quality will only fuel algae that much more. So get that tank clean.

Honestly I have the fresh water version on my planted tank and the app does suck and I had hell of time getting going if I remember. I love my  AI hydras....just learn to respect the power. If the will let you exchange,  I'd do it. On a side note....now that I turned down my hydras, my goniopora I got from macna may still live. So respect the power.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Are you guys saying that the lighting still isn’t good enough for most corals and anemones? I have 2 pocillopora coral colonies, and they seem to be doing fine?

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Are you guys saying that the lighting still isn’t good enough for most corals and anemones? I have 2 pocillopora coral colonies, and they seem to be doing fine?

Doesn't look great to me. Coral can survive in crappy lighting for a longg time but may lose color or grow slowly or not at all. Surviving is not thriving. You would be much better off spending at bit more for a AI Prime. Honestly I would take the used Chinese box on the hardware forums for $50 over the fluval, it would be a lot more powerful. I don't think that light is suitable for a bubble tip at all.

Is that worth $200? Honestly, absolutely not. 

Edit: found some reviews of people who had that light and every single person ended up upgrading because of poor growth. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/who-has-used-the-fluval-marine-2-0-or-3-0.439819/

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Doesn't look great to me. Coral can survive in crappy lighting for a longg time but may lose color or grow slowly or not at all. Surviving is not thriving. You would be much better off spending at bit more for a AI Prime. Honestly I would take the used Chinese box on the hardware forums for $50 over the fluval, it would be a lot more powerful. I don't think that light is suitable for a bubble tip at all.

Edit: found some reviews of people who had that light and every single person ended up upgrading because of poor growth. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/who-has-used-the-fluval-marine-2-0-or-3-0.439819/

I paid 189, pretty much 200

The other lighting at my LFS is almost 300 dollars, they are way to overpriced 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Are these good lights?

5BB8596F-468F-4DAE-A10A-5F617CE2C1F9.png

DEF58D13-BD2D-4463-8E32-20418D1581A6.png

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m considering making a sumo for my tank, I found a YouTube video that says that I can make a simple sump for 50 bucks, bc I am on budget. That would help quite a bit with water quality right? It was going to be a refugium and a sump in one

43 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m considering making a sumo for my tank, I found a YouTube video that says that I can make a simple sump for 50 bucks, bc I am on budget. That would help quite a bit with water quality right? It was going to be a refugium and a sump in one

Instead of a sump right now I would invest in a better light and an RODI unit so that you can make your own water at home. (I bought my unit at Bulk Reef Supply. )

As mentioned above: at the $200 price point, the AI Prime is your best bet to grow whatever you want. I’d return your current light and buy the Prime. There are entire threads based around those lights if you want to see what people are growing with them and the settings they are using. You might even be able to find one used in the marketplace here on NR. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Instead of a sump right now I would invest in a better light and an RODI unit so that you can make your own water at home. (I bought my unit at Bulk Reef Supply. )

As mentioned above: at the $200 price point, the AI Prime is your best bet to grow whatever you want. I’d return your current light and buy the Prime. There are entire threads based around those lights if you want to see what people are growing with them and the settings they are using. You might even be able to find one used in the marketplace here on NR. 

The only thing that I don’t understand is that I have been researching this light, and I keep getting mixed results? Some people say that they can only grow softies and a few lps, but then other people say that they can grow anything and everything in there tank is growing like crazy?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The only thing that I don’t understand is that I have been researching this light, and I keep getting mixed results? Some people say that they can only grow softies and a few lps, but then other people say that they can grow anything and everything in there tank is growing like crazy?

I have an ai prime hd, check out my journal. I have rock flower nems, lps and softies. My lps are growing really well with it. When I first started I skimped on the lighting and ended up having to upgrade. That prime is a great light

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
49 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I have an ai prime hd, check out my journal. I have rock flower nems, lps and softies. My lps are growing really well with it. When I first started I skimped on the lighting and ended up having to upgrade. That prime is a great light

Ok, I’ll have to check it out

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Are these good lights?

5BB8596F-468F-4DAE-A10A-5F617CE2C1F9.png

DEF58D13-BD2D-4463-8E32-20418D1581A6.png

First one is probably a single reflector. 

I would not get either because you can't afford bulb changes. 

Since you are on a budget...why don't you just buy something used? A used prime is about 200ish.

If you are going to go for cheap lighting you can find entire threads dedicated to Chinese LEDs. I used them years ago when I was on a budget a kept clams...nems...birdsnests...lps..ect

This guy is selling one but it's not controllable...you have to hook it up to a cheap Walmart timer to turn it on and off but it's only 50 bucks and looks like he would take less.

A controlable one is about 120 new on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UMXAR5S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549305117&sr=8-1&keywords=led+reef&dpPl=1&dpID=41SGXAFJFJL&ref=plSrch

I really don't think a sump is priority here. A fuge will likely get overrun in pest algae and cyano....that stuff outcompetes cheato. You need to get a good source of water and basic cleaning supplies like a scraper and siphon... Ect.

Keep in mind after you upgrade your light to something powerful...you may get an explosion of algae....algae likes light just as much as your coral. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

First one is probably a single reflector. 

I would not get either because you can't afford bulb changes. 

Since you are on a budget...why don't you just buy something used? A used prime is about 200ish.

If you are going to go for cheap lighting you can find entire threads dedicated to Chinese LEDs. I used them years ago when I was on a budget a kept clams...nems...birdsnests...lps..ect

This guy is selling one but it's not controllable...you have to hook it up to a cheap Walmart timer to turn it on and off but it's only 50 bucks and looks like he would take less.

A controlable one is about 120 new on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UMXAR5S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549305117&sr=8-1&keywords=led+reef&dpPl=1&dpID=41SGXAFJFJL&ref=plSrch

I really don't think a sump is priority here. A fuge will likely get overrun in pest algae and cyano....that stuff outcompetes cheato. You need to get a good source of water and basic cleaning supplies like a scraper and siphon... Ect.

Keep in mind after you upgrade your light to something powerful...you may get an explosion of algae....algae likes light just as much as your coral. 

I don’t really have an algae problem, mainly a cyono problem. And I’ll have to check this guy out thank you.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just asked him if he would take 35, but if he can’t do that, then I’ll do 40 or 45. 

So what’s this timer that I would need to buy for it? Could you show me a picture or something?

4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just asked him if he would take 35, but if he can’t do that, then I’ll do 40 or 45. 

So what’s this timer that I would need to buy for it? Could you show me a picture or something?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Timer-Single-Polarized-Outlet/879295193?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1515&adid=22222222228000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-51320962143&wl5=9018738&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=879295193&wl13=1515&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-xuaE6eStqk_NNhifJPMl1LqqLSam0i9gncUKS5gbdG5gahLykze9hoCGj8QAvD_BwE

That type of light should have two plugs..one for blue and one for white...you manually set the percent you want it off then set those plugs to turn the lights on and off. You can still have dusk to Dawn by putting the blues on longer but otherwise the light is basic on/off. If you do buy it be sure to start the lights dimmed way down and increase slowly or you will shock everything. It is quite powerful...brs did a video and par was 800 ish in the center. 

You will need to hang it as it does not clip to the tank. I bought some metal pipe for a few bucks at the hardware store and attached that to the back of my stand to hang it.

Something like this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShTzHlFOBx5QqUhDO2QGW

What are the dimensions of your tank?

I ask because spread is not the best on these. I would definitely do softies on the ends.

10 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It's hard to learn this stuff by just reading around on the internet IMO....too much "works for me/not for me" noise like this.

Here's how I break something like this down logically:  

If the light is verifiably sufficient for someone/anyone to grow nice corals, then it doesn't matter how many people complain about not growing corals with the same light – the light is definitely capable of growing nice corals.  

It also might be very instructional to find out why the folks who fail with it ended up failing...avoid their missteps.   (With these lights, problems are often a combo of over-lighting and bad water management, usually including too little dissolved nutrients.   Use a light meter, and avoid the whole "ULNS" ideal like the plague and you'll be well-off IMO.))

If the light itself was incapable, then nobody would be able to grow nice corals with it, without exception.  Simple as that.