SaltCritters.com

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

Snow_Phoenix
12 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Lol well it used to look like this. Favia I believe.  When my tank went down hill last year I thought i lost this one. I just left the dead frag on the plug bc i was lazy then all of a sudden a few weeks ago it started to come back

Screenshot_20200529-065031_Chrome.jpg

How long did it take for the flesh to completely regrow?

Asking because I have that exact same favia and it nearly died. Trying to nurse it back to health in my pico - there's still bits of flesh here and there on the skeleton, but I'm wondering how long it'll take to make a comeback. 🤔

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

How long did it take for the flesh to completely regrow?

Asking because I have that exact same favia and it nearly died. Trying to nurse it back to health in my pico - there's still bits of flesh here and there on the skeleton, but I'm wondering how long it'll take to make a comeback. 🤔

Completely regrow?? I dunno but if you look on the last page mine has like 3 little green eyes? Heads?

Looking at my thread looks like last October is when I thought it was completely dead. About 5 weeks ago I thought I noticed a new head forming.. didnt pay too much attention to it. Then I'd say 3 weeks ago I definitely could tell a new head formed . Now 3 weeks later there is 3 heads...

No idea what had changed but over the last few months on the limited corals that I have I have seen crazy growth.  Only thing I have done was take my skimmer offline and switch from fritz rpm salt back to red sea blue bucket..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

Completely regrow?? I dunno but if you look on the last page mine has like 3 little green eyes? Heads?

Looking at my thread looks like last October is when I thought it was completely dead. About 5 weeks ago I thought I noticed a new head forming.. didnt pay too much attention to it. Then I'd say 3 weeks ago I definitely could tell a new head formed . Now 3 weeks later there is 3 heads...

No idea what had changed but over the last few months on the limited corals that I have I have seen crazy growth.  Only thing I have done was take my skimmer offline and switch from fritz rpm salt back to red sea blue bucket..

I don't think it's the salt...ran Red Sea blue bucket, now running Fritz...haven't noticed much difference.

I do think it is the skimmer though.  Your corals were more than likely starving before...now they have some PO4 and NO3 to consume...which helps with growth and color.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

don't think it's the salt...ran Red Sea blue bucket, now running Fritz...haven't noticed much difference.

Yea me either.. but what's funny is I have used a handful of salts over the years and some like instant ocean have this bad rap of being "dirty" and leaving the mixing buckets all nasty. I have never had the problem like that until I used the red sea blue bucket.  My mixing containers have gotten nasty since I switched. Granted I am only almost done with my first bucket so maybe it's just a weird batch🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Yea me either.. but what's funny is I have used a handful of salts over the years and some like instant ocean have this bad rap of being "dirty" and leaving the mixing buckets all nasty. I have never had the problem like that until I used the red sea blue bucket.  My mixing containers have gotten nasty since I switched. Granted I am only almost done with my first bucket so maybe it's just a weird batch🤷‍♂️

I've had the brown slime with reef crystals and red sea blue bucket.  Haven't experienced it as much with Fritz.  I think part of it is how long you mix the salt/water and leave it in the mixing container.  I normally mix over a few days to a week...

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I don't think it's the salt...ran Red Sea blue bucket, now running Fritz...haven't noticed much difference.

I do think it is the skimmer though.  Your corals were more than likely starving before...now they have some PO4 and NO3 to consume...which helps with growth and color.

Will see how that pans out...……….

I killed my skimmer last week just to try something...…..I have issues keeping PO4 up even with all the shit factory fish I have...……. 

1 minute ago, spectra said:

I killed my skimmer last week just to try something...…..I have issues keeping PO4 up even with all the shit factory fish I have...……. 

Yeah, it's crazy how different some tanks are.  Some folks can't get po4 or no3 down, some can't keep them elevated...finding a balance is hard.

Reefers 15 years ago would have had a heart attack knowing that people now dose nitrates and phosphates.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Was kinda wondering if you had super clean water..  you think that running the UV full time could be contributing to it?

3 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Yeah, it's crazy how different some tanks are.  Some folks can't get po4 or no3 down, some can't keep them elevated...finding a balance is hard.

Reefers 15 years ago would have had a heart attack knowing that people now dose nitrates and phosphates.

Yeah thats my next thing if shutting the skimmer off doesnt work...............

3 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Was kinda wondering if you had super clean water..  you think that running the UV full time could be contributing to it?

I doubt it the UV is more of an ich thing for the tangs.............

• Like 1
4 hours ago, spectra said:

I knew you did it wrong 

• Haha 1

So starting trying to frag off a few shrooms that were stinging an acan. Yea that didnt work. Ended up pulling, cutting, clipping them off. Hope all the stuff floating around doesnt nuke my tank.. changing the floss in a bit and going to add some carbon.. 😧..

Got a couple huge ricordas that need to go too.  Prob wait until this weekend before a water change.. 

***note to self .. if I ever add shrooms again make sure they have their own rocks🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 5/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, FISHnChix said:

So go to do my wc and bumped the mp10 after I was done.. spit shit everywhere. No big deal will get sucked up. Anyway I know I have a few of those little starfish but after that serously dozens came running out.. hard to see in the pic but I will try and attach one.

Is having this many of these guys a bad thing??

20200523_153356.jpg

Resized_20200523_153849.jpg

Those are pretty cool

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, FISHnChix said:

So sps geeks any idea around what par you start a new frag at? I kinda feel that's where u go wrong. Starting this stylo at around 150 par.  No idea if that's good or bad. And how fast to move it higher..

What ya got @mitten_reef ?

1589934225637600466939345837919.jpg

Well it's still alive so that's a plus😂

20200622_171023.jpg

• Like 1
On 6/2/2020 at 4:28 PM, FISHnChix said:

So starting trying to frag off a few shrooms that were stinging an acan. Yea that didnt work. Ended up pulling, cutting, clipping them off. Hope all the stuff floating around doesnt nuke my tank.. changing the floss in a bit and going to add some carbon.. 😧..

Got a couple huge ricordas that need to go too.  Prob wait until this weekend before a water change.. 

***note to self .. if I ever add shrooms again make sure they have their own rocks🤦‍♂️

I feel you on the shrooms - even with their own rocks they get everywhere!

5 minutes ago, Break said:

I feel you on the shrooms - even with their own rocks they get everywhere!

Lol yea nothin worse than a coral that wont stay where you put them😅.

Man I clicked your profile since I havent seen you around figuring you were a newbie.. 2008!!! Damn bro welcome back😎🍻👏🤙

2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Looks more than just alive to me. Looks like it’s grown a bit? Or is that just camera angle? 

Yea I noticed that too. Might be the camera angle.  Looks happier 🤔

Screenshot_20200622-173129_Chrome.jpg

20200622_173041.jpg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Lol yea nothin worse than a coral that wont stay where you put them😅.

Man I clicked your profile since I havent seen you around figuring you were a newbie.. 2008!!! Damn bro welcome back😎🍻👏🤙

Only thing worse is a nem with a penchant for exploring 😉

Thanks for the welcome back! 🤙 Despite keeping tanks for 20+ years, I still frequently feel like newbie - the aquarium world moves faster than ever and many common conceptions have been completely turned on their heads. Exciting times to be alive...at least when it comes to reefing.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Break said:

still frequently feel like newbie - the aquarium world moves faster than ever and many common conceptions have been completely turned on their heads. E

Yep been finding that out myself.  Seems like no one has any real idea what we are doing with these tiny eco systems.. best I can figure now is just to try and limit my influence on the tank and let it do its thing haha🤷‍♂️

50 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Def looks like a bit of growth from this angle. Nice job. 

Baby steps😉🤣

• Like 1

So tank has finally hitting its stride.  I dose 2 part daily.  Not much 4ml a day.. noticed an uptick in usage over the last month.  I test weekly. I have brs dosers ran by apex. 1ml per minute but they do closer to 2 per min after testing. I upped the dosage by 50 percent bc it was easiest to do programming wise..  just checked again bc wc is tomorrow. And double checked it and still lost almost 1 dkh.. what the heck havent added anything.  Hard to believe the alk and ca uptake has increased so quickly..🤔🤔🤔

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, spectra said:

Also coralline algae also sucks it up.............hows that doing in the tank ? 

Good thought . I do pay attention to that though. I clean the crap out of my back wall and glass. Dont like the purple background anymore. The rock has been covered for about 1.5 years now. 🤔🤔🤔.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, FISHnChix said:

So tank has finally hitting its stride.  I dose 2 part daily.  Not much 4ml a day.. noticed an uptick in usage over the last month.  I test weekly. I have brs dosers ran by apex. 1ml per minute but they do closer to 2 per min after testing. I upped the dosage by 50 percent bc it was easiest to do programming wise..  just checked again bc wc is tomorrow. And double checked it and still lost almost 1 dkh.. what the heck havent added anything.  Hard to believe the alk and ca uptake has increased so quickly..🤔🤔🤔

Just to document second week in a row that my doser wasnt keeping up so after checking the function of the dosers I went ahead and ramped it up to 8ml a day.. 🤞

• Like 4