Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Looks very nice - so many heads on that acan/blasto in the middle too! :happy:

Thanks snow!!!

Yea kinds weird I have some corals that grow great and others that will just up and die on me.. sometimes even the same types of coral🤷‍♂️... 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
16 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Thanks snow!!!

Yea kinds weird I have some corals that grow great and others that will just up and die on me.. sometimes even the same types of coral🤷‍♂️... 

I have that same problem in my large reef. I have various types of symphyllia, for example, and some are doing great, but one is receding very badly atm. Another one turned from mint green with red stripes to dark red with blue blotches. I have absolutely no idea what's up with those two. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So how bad is the sting from a mushroom?? I have some that are going to start to take over and I want to nip it in the but before it's too late.. seems pretty hard to frag a shroom right? Every shroom I have go has came on a little piece of rock. I am guessing I should just start to razor these guys off right? And ideas?

20200515_160356.jpg

20200515_160420.jpg

20200515_160412.jpg

• Like 2
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

So how bad is the sting from a mushroom?? I have some that are going to start to take over and I want to nip it in the but before it's too late.. seems pretty hard to frag a shroom right? Every shroom I have go has came on a little piece of rock. I am guessing I should just start to razor these guys off right? And ideas?

20200515_160356.jpg

20200515_160420.jpg

20200515_160412.jpg

this is how I’d frag mushrooms. Grab a pair of coral clipper, dig the points near the base, then snip. The goal is to chip off the rock that the foot is attached to. then glue the chipped piece on a frag plug. I don’t think razor is a good idea. 

tank is looking really good bud. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

this is how I’d frag mushrooms. Grab a pair of coral clipper, dig the points near the base, then snip. The goal is to chip off the rock that the foot is attached to. then glue the chipped piece on a frag plug. I don’t think razor is a good idea. 

Hmmm think I can do that.  Got some suggestions on some good tools for the job like on Amazon or something??

6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

So here is a pic of my last sps attempt.  Supposed to be green lmao.. dunno why its brown and bleached.  Par is low like 300. Nitrates like 8 and po4 about .06

Rest of the tank is taking off since I switch from fritz to blue bucket. And I switched to brs dosers controlled via Apex so the alk is steady at 7.8.. oh and I saw the biggest differance when I turned off the skimmer

20200515_173706.jpg

20200515_173623.jpg

• Like 1
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Hmmm think I can do that.  Got some suggestions on some good tools for the job like on Amazon or something??

I have one very similar to this one
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/8-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-stony-coral-cutter-oceans-wonders/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-_j1BRDkARIsAJcfmTGu44QGk0di59xdayhGrQVDZ4AKvEmNLffKuyEzHIbG1k72VBUTvCQaAv2REALw_wcB

try to look for one with some texture in the grips. Here’s the other one of mine, see some texture in the grip. 

https://www.aquavitro.com/coral-cutters.php

The one with smooth handles get slippery trying to cut anything with a wet hand. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I have one very similar to this one
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/8-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-stony-coral-cutter-oceans-wonders/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-_j1BRDkARIsAJcfmTGu44QGk0di59xdayhGrQVDZ4AKvEmNLffKuyEzHIbG1k72VBUTvCQaAv2REALw_wcB

try to look for one with some texture in the grips. Here’s the other one of mine, see some texture in the grip. 

https://www.aquavitro.com/coral-cutters.php

The one with smooth handles get slippery trying to cut anything with a wet hand. 

Yep I follow . Thanks buddy

• Like 1
mitten_reef
18 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

So here is a pic of my last sps attempt.  Supposed to be green lmao.. dunno why its brown and bleached.  Par is low like 300. Nitrates like 8 and po4 about .06

Rest of the tank is taking off since I switch from fritz to blue bucket. And I switched to brs dosers controlled via Apex so the alk is steady at 7.8.. oh and I saw the biggest differance when I turned off the skimmer

20200515_173706.jpg

20200515_173623.jpg

Sounds like you had a little bit of a low nutrient issue, with corals showing growth after stopping the skimmer. Your sand and rocks are sparkling clean too. 
don’t look like you should have any trouble with keeping any sps. Looks almost like you’ve been waiting for sps to fill the top of that rock!

I’d say try a few more cheap ones. 😄 But don’t buy the unhealthy piece from the bargain rack.  Just buy like a couple of $20-sticks or even a plating monti. Maybe with the new found stability, the new frags will start thriving. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Sounds like you had a little bit of a low nutrient issue, with corals showing growth after stopping the skimmer. Your sand and rocks are sparkling clean too. 
don’t look like you should have any trouble with keeping any sps. Looks almost like you’ve been waiting for sps to fill the top of that rock!

I’d say try a few more cheap ones. 😄 But don’t buy the unhealthy piece from the bargain rack.  Just buy like a couple of $20-sticks or even a plating monti. Maybe with the new found stability, the new frags will start thriving. 

I'm with @mitten_reefon this.  Possibly low nutrients.  300 par is actually fine for SPS.  I wouldn't consider it low.  I think most shoot for 250 to 350 range.  I have some SPS growing in 190 par.  Was the SPS ever green or did it come brown already?  If it came brown it could take months to color up.  It looks like that part of your scape probably gets the most par, so recommend starting all SPS on the sandbed and moving them up over time.  I'll be honest some of my montis are way pickier than the acros.  Have you tried a green slimer?  Those are pretty resilient.  Don't give up on the sticks.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

20200515_173706.jpg

20200515_173623.jpg

Dose Acropower at 1ml/20gal/day and feed heaver. If that does not work decrease your lights by 15%. Which par meter did you use for par measurements?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Yep what mitten kitten said..................hell they also work for toe nail clippers to.................. :lol:

hell this thread hasnt seen action like this in a while................

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Looks almost like you’ve been waiting for sps to fill the top of that rock!

Lol not almost that is exactly what I have been doing. About to say screw it and fill it in with some lps 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I'm with @mitten_reefon this.  Possibly low nutrients.  300 par is actually fine for SPS.  I wouldn't consider it low.  I think most shoot for 250 to 350 range.  I have some SPS growing in 190 par.  Was the SPS ever green or did it come brown already?  If it came brown it could take months to color up.  It looks like that part of your scape probably gets the most par, so recommend starting all SPS on the sandbed and moving them up over time.  I'll be honest some of my montis are way pickier than the acros.  Have you tried a green slimer?  Those are pretty resilient.  Don't give up on the sticks.  

Yea it was nice and green with purple on the edges. It was one of those jedi mind trick ones.. and it was entrusting on the plug. This guy was in great shape so that's why I am a little more bummed this time. I had it on the sand for about 2 weeks then moved it up top. Was thinking I probably should have used a frag rack and moved it up slower?? 

Yea I tried a green slimer once. Actually had growth(rtn one day) but I was using a jeabo doser. My alk started to swing about 1 dkh a week. I think it was due to the doser not being consistent at the lower doses. That's why I went to the brs dosers.. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, William said:

Dose Acropower at 1ml/20gal/day and feed heaver. If that does not work decrease your lights by 15%. Which par meter did you use for par measurements?

Yea I might give that a shot. I dont feed much. Had a problem with gha in the last tank that took the fun out of it for me. Only have 2 little fish and feed every 2 days and dose reef roids once a week and feed pellets to the lps..

I use a apogee par sensor hooked up to a fluke multi meter. I already had the multimeter so just by the sensor saved me like 150 bucks or so..

9 hours ago, spectra said:

hell this thread hasnt seen action like this in a while......

Lmao bc there isnt anything new going on

. Not going to the lfs bc of the rona (have to go this weekend for food though).. and there isnt much online either..

I have been thinking my tank has been limping alone bc of low nutrients as well (kind of made it obvious when the growth took off after I turned the skimmer off) and have been dieing to increase the bio load with some more fish but shoot there is not much online and what there is, is over priced 

• Like 2

So dang I had to scroll back deep to find a pic of the par meter setup. Looks like I need to check again (time flys!!!) Bc I had increased my lighting quite a bit but then dialed it back bc things started to look bleached..

And found a pic of the monti . Man looked good when i got it back around the beginning of the year.

And shout out to @mitten_reef after that try back through memory lane in my thread I realized he has been tring to help my sps woes for well over a year😂😂

Screenshot_20200516-060923_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200516-061921_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Lmao bc there isnt anything new going on

. Not going to the lfs bc of the rona (have to go this weekend for food though).. and there isnt much online either..

I have been thinking my tank has been limping alone bc of low nutrients as well (kind of made it obvious when the growth took off after I turned the skimmer off) and have been dieing to increase the bio load with some more fish but shoot there is not much online and what there is, is over priced 

Well guess I am lucky then.............my dealer keeps bringing in stuff..........yes fish prices have went up though...........

12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well guess I am lucky then.............my dealer keeps bringing in stuff..........yes fish prices have went up though...........

Found this too when scrolling back.. liked that setup

Screenshot_20200516-061520_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Found this too when scrolling back.. liked that setup

Screenshot_20200516-061520_Chrome.jpg

I miss that tank...............if I do change tanks again  I will go back to that height as I do not like the 24" tall tanks..............

1 minute ago, spectra said:

I miss that tank...............if I do change tanks again  I will go back to that height as I do not like the 24" tall tanks..............

Meh.. I like the look of a taller tank.  Its a pain to clean though . And harder to get good par at the bottom while not burning shit up high🤷‍♂️..

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

How dafuk does the sand stick to the side of the tank like that................:unsure:

What ya talking bout willis?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

What ya talking bout willis?

turn the phone so we can get a normal view...............not a sideways shot...............look how the video is oriented.............

• Haha 1