Pod Your Reef

Goats Nuvo 10 Aquarium Journal

ReefGoat

A Little Blue
16 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I'll likely get to that point one day, I hope LOL. Right now I'm just really trying to get good at keeping steady parameters and just general good husbandry. That's why I test it so much. I'll likely not have to test as much by this time next year. This tank is like 5 days away from two months old so it's still a fledgling system. 

I missed salinity. I check that every other day. Nothing wrong with testing. You should do that as often as you can to get the hang of it. Once your system stabilize and matures, you will be able to tell by the eye if something is out of place. Algae, bacteria bloom is unmistakable sign. Even certain smell and water clarity can give you a hint of trouble. 

You should be on a smooth sail by 4-6 month. 

• Like 2

I know I'm spamming yall with pics of these Acans but these have been my favorite coral since I started wanting a tank. I thought this was a good clear picture of them. They seem to be enjoying the replenishment from the water change. Nothing better than coming home from a long Monday at work to a crystal clear tank and happy puffed up corals. Happy Monday gang.

IMG_20180625_170056_edit.jpg

• Like 3
On 6/23/2018 at 8:56 PM, ReefGoat said:

Are the polyps brown or the skeleton? My polyps are brownish but most of the skeleton is a green color. I think with the birdsnest it may be too much light instead of not enough. Mine responded negatively to an increase in light and I'm trying to find what it wants. I think I'm going to end up relocating it lower in the tank.

I’m absolutely not an sps expert. Or even really that expierenced with it other than killing it. I can however guarantee that the skeleton is bleach white under the flesh. There’s a reason sps turns brown so I hope one of the stick lovers can chime in for you. 

13 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I’m absolutely not an sps expert. Or even really that expierenced with it other than killing it. I can however guarantee that the skeleton is bleach white under the flesh. There’s a reason sps turns brown so I hope one of the stick lovers can chime in for you. 

I guess I meant to ask him if the flesh was browing then lol. I misspoke. 

40 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I guess I meant to ask him if the flesh was browing then lol. I misspoke. 

It’s all good. I discovered the color of those skellys the hard way lol. 

• Haha 1

Yeah I've since moved the birdsnest to the middle front out of the kessils death ray in the top middle lol. See how this works out.

16 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

Yeah I've since moved the birdsnest to the middle front out of the kessils death ray in the top middle lol. See how this works out.

My preferred lfs is very near the kessil HQ. Hell, I am too. In fact if you go to the kessil website there are multiple videos of the place. Neptune’s Aquatics in San Jose (relocated from Mountain View) awesome store, all kessil, even the fw stuff. They have some amazing displays, and some im10 tanks near the register using the same light you have. Two crazy nice im 10s with a80s too. Point is, it can be done and, done real nice like. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

My preferred lfs is very near the kessil HQ. Hell, I am too. In fact if you go to the kessil website there are multiple videos of the place. Neptune’s Aquatics in San Jose (relocated from Mountain View) awesome store, all kessil, even the fw stuff. They have some amazing displays, and some im10 tanks near the register using the same light you have. Two crazy nice im 10s with a80s too. Point is, it can be done and, done real nice like. 

Right on. I do love the Kessil. it just seems like it's really focused like a beam. I think that where I moved the birdsnest to its going to solve the problem. The sticks that will eventually go in its place up top will love that high intensity right there.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, sadie said:

your acans look amazing!  I love them too can't wait to get some.  I had a nice looking orange crush, but it died in my move.  😔  

I appreciate that! The pictures don't do them justice. I really am wanting to buy a proper camera. These cell phone cameras aren't cutting it. 

Not really much going on with the tank right now. Just chugging along and routine maintenance. I've been working a lot of extra hours lately so I've got enough money rat holed for the next coral haul. I just want to let the tank get use to the added load from the Acans. I'm thinking the next haul will be 4 more Acans to finish out that garden and then some kind of LPS frag pack with reds and blues. I have decided that I want to move my tank from th e Bedroom to the living room and i'm going to build a stand that fits a little better with the furniture and is shorter than the IKEA stand. In retrospect I don't like the IKEA because of what it's made out of and the longevity of that material. I got the main structure idea from another user on here in passing through a tank journal. I've been working on the drawing plans on and off when I get free time at work. I'll include a picture of what I have so far. There will be a door and trim to make it look more ornate. This time around all the Apex, Vortech and miscellaneous will be inside the stand. That's about it for now. I'll probably get started on it this weekend............Maybe LOL

image.png

• Like 2

So I was able to get started on the stand this weekend. I finished building the basic frame of it. All I have left is to cut the plywood pieces, order the adjustable feet, go buy the finishing trim and pick out some paint. Nothing really big happened over the weekend. Water change, routine maintenance and when I woke up this morning one of my Acans were eating a small black snail. I'm a little concerned but i'm going to let nature take its course and see what happens. 

• Like 1
On 6/29/2018 at 5:01 AM, ReefGoat said:

Not really much going on with the tank right now. Just chugging along and routine maintenance. I've been working a lot of extra hours lately so I've got enough money rat holed for the next coral haul. I just want to let the tank get use to the added load from the Acans. I'm thinking the next haul will be 4 more Acans to finish out that garden and then some kind of LPS frag pack with reds and blues. I have decided that I want to move my tank from th e Bedroom to the living room and i'm going to build a stand that fits a little better with the furniture and is shorter than the IKEA stand. In retrospect I don't like the IKEA because of what it's made out of and the longevity of that material. I got the main structure idea from another user on here in passing through a tank journal. I've been working on the drawing plans on and off when I get free time at work. I'll include a picture of what I have so far. There will be a door and trim to make it look more ornate. This time around all the Apex, Vortech and miscellaneous will be inside the stand. That's about it for now. I'll probably get started on it this weekend............Maybe LOL

image.png

Holy shit. If those yellow sticks are 2x4s you should upgrade to a 100 gallon column! 

Quit spending loot on wood and nails and whatnot and upgrade that light. @DaveFason needs the money, I hear he wants a new sand wedge and, I’m looking forward to lowballing your brains out on that 160. 

• Haha 3

LMFAO yes my friend. They are 2x4's. It's actually going into a high traffic area (my kitchen) and my two year old son is like a damn T-REX. I'm over building to avoid potential disaster LOL. I may get it before Christmas (the light) and I promise you won't have to lowball. You're going to get a very nice deal because I appreciate your humor and bluntness. I'm going to hook you up. 

EDIT: I would like to maybe upgrade someday and put some serious gallons on it. 

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

LMFAO yes my friend. They are 2x4's. It's actually going into a high traffic area (my kitchen) and my two year old son is like a damn T-REX. I'm over building to avoid potential disaster LOL. I may get it before Christmas (the light) and I promise you won't have to lowball. You're going to get a very nice deal because I appreciate your humor and bluntness. I'm going to hook you up. 

EDIT: I would like to maybe upgrade someday and put some serious gallons on it. 

Ha! That still sounds like too much $. I’ve got a two year old as well. Little ####ers... ok then maybe make it bigger and more bottom heavy so the lil guy/gal can’t push it over. 

2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Holy shit. If those yellow sticks are 2x4s you should upgrade to a 100 gallon column! 

Quit spending loot on wood and nails and whatnot and upgrade that light. @DaveFason needs the money, I hear he wants a new sand wedge and, I’m looking forward to lowballing your brains out on that 160. 

Actually fishing gear. 😛

Just now, DaveFason said:

Actually fishing gear. 😛

Lol, I figured but I can type sand wedge faster than I can google fishing 🎣 gear. Plus all us worker 🐝 know the boss hits golf balls. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Lol, I figured but I can type sand wedge faster than I can google fishing 🎣 gear. Plus all us worker 🐝 know the boss hits golf balls. 

All managers know how to golf. Lol you cant get promoted unless you put it on your resume lmao. 

On 6/29/2018 at 5:01 AM, ReefGoat said:

image.png

You might as well upgrade with that stand. Its more of a meant to be situation. 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, jdmcbuilt said:

You might as well upgrade with that stand. Its more of a meant to be situation. 

Here we go lol it begins. 

35 minutes ago, jdmcbuilt said:

All managers know how to golf. Lol you cant get promoted unless you put it on your resume lmao. 

An older fella in the trade (my trade) told me, “Golf is a suckass sport. It’s a way to spend time with the boss, off the clock”. Couldn’t agree more with ya. 

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

An older fella in the trade (my trade) told me, “Golf is a suckass sport. It’s a way to spend time with the boss, off the clock”. Couldn’t agree more with ya. 

Lmao. When I became the manager I had to learn to golf, so i wouldnt make myself look like a jackass playing our bosses. Hahahahaha

1 minute ago, jdmcbuilt said:

Lmao. When I became the manager I had to learn to golf, so i wouldnt make myself look like a jackass playing our bosses. Hahahahaha

And, now I know you’re a suckass.