Ok, sorry, like total weight, how heavy is it, like how much or how heavy was it filled, like ounces or like 1 pound........ooppss can't speak english too well......lol......they want to do something with it and it can't be very heavy.......

25 minutes ago, JoeR said:

See I knew you had the bulb but couldn’t find your tank thread with it. Now when I look on amazon for the 50/50 bulb, I don’t see it come up- like they stopped selling it or something. No idea why.

It's the one seabass has, I think, not called a 50/50 bulb (that's an old throwback term to the CFL/T5 days lol) but referring to the approximate color split between blues and whites.

11 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Ok, sorry, like total weight, how heavy is it, like how much or how heavy was it filled, like ounces or like 1 pound........ooppss can't speak english too well......lol......they want to do something with it and it can't be very heavy.......

I don't have the glass anymore.  But just guessing, it might have weighed about 6 oz.

• Thanks 1

The water is crystal clear today, and the temperature is 85.5 °F.  I think it's good that the little heater is capable of raising the temperature above 80 °, which means that I should be able to maintain a steady 80 °F with a controller (which is now my plan).

• Like 1

I added my rock, some sand from my Caribbean tank, and a piece of macro algae.  I'll post a pic after the water clears.

I knew there was going to be distortion, but wow, the rock looks huge in there.  It's not really very big (as I wanted room to be able to wipe the glass).

There really isn't anything in there yet, but I already think it's pretty neat.  Now I totally get why people fall in love with these containers.  So glad I did this.  For those of you not in the contest, there's still time.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I added my rock, some sand from my Caribbean tank, and a piece of macro algae.  I'll post a pic after the water clears.

I knew there was going to be distortion, but wow, the rock looks huge in there.  It's not really very big (as I wanted room to be able to wipe the glass).

There really isn't anything in there yet, but I already think it's pretty neat.  Now I totally get why people fall in love with these containers.  So glad I did this.  For those of you not in the contest, there's still time.

Can’t wait to see pictures with the rock! I am quite worried about distortion as well, as I have another strike against me with the rippled glass. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Yeah I love my bowl! And I'm always amazed how small everything actually is when I take it out to change the water. 

I'd totally enter this if I didn't already have mine. Maybe I should enter using your shot glass idea?! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah I love my bowl! And I'm always amazed how small everything actually is when I take it out to change the water. 

I'd totally enter this if I didn't already have mine. Maybe I should enter using your shot glass idea?! 

+1 for the shot glass idea....or even a cool beer chalice or wine glass!!!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

+1 for the shot glass idea....or even a cool beer chalice or wine glass!!!

A martini or brandy glass would be cool!

• Like 5

FTS:

101517a.jpg

Top down:

101517b.jpg

• Like 9

Is that dragons breath?

It looks pretty

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Is that dragons breath?  It looks pretty

Thanks.  No, it's a species of Gracilaria that I got from Gulf Coast Ecosystems, as part of a refugium pack.

• Like 1

I doubt that my jar has much of a biofilter right now.  And I don't have plans to build it up by dosing ammonia.  However, I found a bottle of Dr.Tim's One & Only that I bought last year (for some reason which I can't remember).  Anyway it was unopened and expires this month.  So I dumped a bunch in my pico, and the rest in my other tanks.

• Like 4

Funny how the rock blows up once you get water in there :D.  Looks great!!!!

• Thanks 1

I hate doing this, but I ordered some coral from Diver's Den on Friday.  It was all aquacultured except one that was maricultured.  I got it all at once to avoid shipping charges.  It seems way too early to be thinking about coral; but I guess I got caught up in some of the other contestants' progress and started some early planning, which led to an early order. :blush:

I haven't decided whether to put them in my tank to start with, or wait some more.  I think waiting makes sense, but I'm also getting excited to put them in.  Oh well, I have until Tuesday to decide.

• Like 3

Hey, coming a long......Remember only bad things happen fast......

Me and someone else who in the contest has Diatoms.......I'm trying to research how to get rid of it because it spreads fast in a small container.......

I would wait for for the cycle some, I would not put them in yet......IMO.......

The member who has the Diatoms......in less than 10 days give or take, the tank looked 6 months old......

Right now I started a total black out, no water changes and no feeding.....I'm trying to test the water ASAP

I don't know if Diatoms are a big deal or not......

Maybe wait a bit, I have only live rock and sand in jar......

Newbie !!!! ????

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot these containers are small, so when dosing them you do it in drops.......like exp. 4 drops per 10g......give or take......You kind of have to do the math given instructions on whatever you are dosing.....just a heads up.....just in case.......

36 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Hey, coming a long......Remember only bad things happen fast......

Me and someone else who in the contest has Diatoms.......I'm trying to research how to get rid of it because it spreads fast in a small container.......

I would wait for for the cycle some, I would not put them in yet......IMO.......

The member who has the Diatoms......in less than 10 days give or take, the tank looked 6 months old......

Right now I started a total black out, no water changes and no feeding.....I'm trying to test the water ASAP

Maybe wait a bit, I have only live rock and sand in jar......

Newbie !!!! ????

In my experience diatoms are a normal and healthy sign of a tank maturing nd will work themselves out over time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Normally not, but it could be.  Especially with coral in there.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 10:41 AM, seabass said:

The water is crystal clear today, and the temperature is 85.5 °F.  I think it's good that the little heater is capable of raising the temperature above 80 °, which means that I should be able to maintain a steady 80 °F with a controller (which is now my plan).

Let me know how that goes! With my light and pump mine is sitting at 80. But at night it drops to 74-76. So I think I will need a heater after all. Poo.

6 hours ago, seabass said:

I hate doing this, but I ordered some coral from Diver's Den on Friday.  It was all aquacultured except one that was maricultured.  I got it all at once to avoid shipping charges.  It seems way too early to be thinking about coral; but I guess I got caught up in some of the other contestants' progress and started some early planning, which led to an early order. :blush:

I haven't decided whether to put them in my tank to start with, or wait some more.  I think waiting makes sense, but I'm also getting excited to put them in.  Oh well, I have until Tuesday to decide.

LOL I totally one shot stocked mine. I may or may not have a touch of cyano atm. But so does my big tank where I grabbed the rock from. I think of of my shrooms was knocked off and is decomposing somewhere I can't find it.... Alas. The nano-reef challenges.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Let me know how that goes! With my light and pump mine is sitting at 80. But at night it drops to 74-76. So I think I will need a heater after all.

I wonder if @Clown79 is experiencing the same.  She also reports a steady 80°F, but I wonder if that includes night temperatures.

So far my controller is working perfectly (I'm using an old DA ReefKeeper 2).  I purchased two extra Bettastik heaters, just in case.

1 minute ago, seabass said:

I wonder if @Clown79 is experiencing the same.  She also reports a steady 80°F, but I wonder if that includes night temperatures.

So far my controller is working perfectly (I'm using an old DA ReefKeeper 2).  I purchased two extra Bettastik heaters, just in case.

Well potentially false alarm because I just had to put on a sweater. It was 67 in my apartment. No bueno for moi, the freeze baby.

At night, I keep the house in the 60's all winter long.  My unheated water is always much cooler than any of my tanks.  However, I did maintain an old contest tank without a heater.  And while it didn't crash, it didn't flourish either.  Then again, it never got anywhere near 80 °F either. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

At night, I keep the house in the 60's all winter long.  My unheated water is always much cooler than any of my tanks.  However, I did maintain an old contest tank without a heater.  And while it didn't crash, it didn't flourish either.  Then again, it never got anywhere near 80 °F either. :unsure:

Ok never moving in with you lol

If it gets below 70 in my house... I am either wrapped up in a blanket or screaming for the heat to turn on. In the summer sometimes I used to sleep with my fleece tie blanket. Granted my feet stuck out. But yea. I like to be toasty. Have to have socks on at all times or my feet might fall off. But I also have circulation issues, so that contributes.

I am having great success with 2/4 of my macros, the chaeto and cactus caulerpa being stubborn. And the zoas seem happy. The inverts are currently hiding in the nice toasty rock. I don't blame them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1