Jump to content
seabass

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

Recommended Posts

cfaye@Delaware

Ok, sorry, like total weight, how heavy is it, like how much or how heavy was it filled, like ounces or like 1 pound........ooppss can't speak english too well......lol......they want to do something with it and it can't be very heavy.......

Share this post


Link to post
Lula_Mae
25 minutes ago, JoeR said:

See I knew you had the bulb but couldn’t find your tank thread with it. Now when I look on amazon for the 50/50 bulb, I don’t see it come up- like they stopped selling it or something. No idea why.

It's the one seabass has, I think, not called a 50/50 bulb (that's an old throwback term to the CFL/T5 days lol) but referring to the approximate color split between blues and whites.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
11 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Ok, sorry, like total weight, how heavy is it, like how much or how heavy was it filled, like ounces or like 1 pound........ooppss can't speak english too well......lol......they want to do something with it and it can't be very heavy.......

I don't have the glass anymore.  But just guessing, it might have weighed about 6 oz.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
cfaye@Delaware

Cool !!!! Thanks.......:bowdown:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

The water is crystal clear today, and the temperature is 85.5 °F.  I think it's good that the little heater is capable of raising the temperature above 80 °, which means that I should be able to maintain a steady 80 °F with a controller (which is now my plan).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

I added my rock, some sand from my Caribbean tank, and a piece of macro algae.  I'll post a pic after the water clears.

 

I knew there was going to be distortion, but wow, the rock looks huge in there.  It's not really very big (as I wanted room to be able to wipe the glass).

 

There really isn't anything in there yet, but I already think it's pretty neat.  Now I totally get why people fall in love with these containers.  So glad I did this.  For those of you not in the contest, there's still time.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
schgr.cube
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

I added my rock, some sand from my Caribbean tank, and a piece of macro algae.  I'll post a pic after the water clears.

 

I knew there was going to be distortion, but wow, the rock looks huge in there.  It's not really very big (as I wanted room to be able to wipe the glass).

 

There really isn't anything in there yet, but I already think it's pretty neat.  Now I totally get why people fall in love with these containers.  So glad I did this.  For those of you not in the contest, there's still time.

Can’t wait to see pictures with the rock! I am quite worried about distortion as well, as I have another strike against me with the rippled glass. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SeaFurn
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I knew there was going to be distortion, but wow, the rock looks huge in there.  It's not really very big (as I wanted room to be able to wipe the glass).

 

There really isn't anything in there yet, but I already think it's pretty neat.  Now I totally get why people fall in love with these containers.  So glad I did this.  For those of you not in the contest, there's still time.

Yeah I love my bowl! And I'm always amazed how small everything actually is when I take it out to change the water. 

 

I'd totally enter this if I didn't already have mine. Maybe I should enter using your shot glass idea?! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
flatlandreefer
7 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yeah I love my bowl! And I'm always amazed how small everything actually is when I take it out to change the water. 

 

I'd totally enter this if I didn't already have mine. Maybe I should enter using your shot glass idea?! 

 

+1 for the shot glass idea....or even a cool beer chalice or wine glass!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
20 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

 

+1 for the shot glass idea....or even a cool beer chalice or wine glass!!!

A martini or brandy glass would be cool!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

FTS:

101517a.jpg

 

Top down:

101517b.jpg

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Is that dragons breath?

It looks pretty

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Is that dragons breath?  It looks pretty

Thanks.  No, it's a species of Gracilaria that I got from Gulf Coast Ecosystems, as part of a refugium pack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

I doubt that my jar has much of a biofilter right now.  And I don't have plans to build it up by dosing ammonia.  However, I found a bottle of Dr.Tim's One & Only that I bought last year (for some reason which I can't remember).  Anyway it was unopened and expires this month.  So I dumped a bunch in my pico, and the rest in my other tanks.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
gena

Funny how the rock blows up once you get water in there :D.  Looks great!!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

I hate doing this, but I ordered some coral from Diver's Den on Friday.  It was all aquacultured except one that was maricultured.  I got it all at once to avoid shipping charges.  It seems way too early to be thinking about coral; but I guess I got caught up in some of the other contestants' progress and started some early planning, which led to an early order. :blush:

 

I haven't decided whether to put them in my tank to start with, or wait some more.  I think waiting makes sense, but I'm also getting excited to put them in.  Oh well, I have until Tuesday to decide.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
cfaye@Delaware

Hey, coming a long......Remember only bad things happen fast......

Me and someone else who in the contest has Diatoms.......I'm trying to research how to get rid of it because it spreads fast in a small container.......

I would wait for for the cycle some, I would not put them in yet......IMO.......

The member who has the Diatoms......in less than 10 days give or take, the tank looked 6 months old......

Right now I started a total black out, no water changes and no feeding.....I'm trying to test the water ASAP

I don't know if Diatoms are a big deal or not......

Maybe wait a bit, I have only live rock and sand in jar......

Newbie !!!! ????

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cfaye@Delaware

Oh, I forgot these containers are small, so when dosing them you do it in drops.......like exp. 4 drops per 10g......give or take......You kind of have to do the math given instructions on whatever you are dosing.....just a heads up.....just in case.......

Share this post


Link to post
duderubble
36 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

Hey, coming a long......Remember only bad things happen fast......

Me and someone else who in the contest has Diatoms.......I'm trying to research how to get rid of it because it spreads fast in a small container.......

I would wait for for the cycle some, I would not put them in yet......IMO.......

The member who has the Diatoms......in less than 10 days give or take, the tank looked 6 months old......

Right now I started a total black out, no water changes and no feeding.....I'm trying to test the water ASAP

I don't know if Diatoms are a big deal or not......

Maybe wait a bit, I have only live rock and sand in jar......

Newbie !!!! ????

In my experience diatoms are a normal and healthy sign of a tank maturing nd will work themselves out over time.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
1 hour ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

I don't know if Diatoms are a big deal or not......

Normally not, but it could be.  Especially with coral in there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
GunslingerGirl
On 10/14/2017 at 10:41 AM, seabass said:

The water is crystal clear today, and the temperature is 85.5 °F.  I think it's good that the little heater is capable of raising the temperature above 80 °, which means that I should be able to maintain a steady 80 °F with a controller (which is now my plan).

Let me know how that goes! With my light and pump mine is sitting at 80. But at night it drops to 74-76. So I think I will need a heater after all. Poo.

6 hours ago, seabass said:

I hate doing this, but I ordered some coral from Diver's Den on Friday.  It was all aquacultured except one that was maricultured.  I got it all at once to avoid shipping charges.  It seems way too early to be thinking about coral; but I guess I got caught up in some of the other contestants' progress and started some early planning, which led to an early order. :blush:

 

I haven't decided whether to put them in my tank to start with, or wait some more.  I think waiting makes sense, but I'm also getting excited to put them in.  Oh well, I have until Tuesday to decide.

LOL I totally one shot stocked mine. I may or may not have a touch of cyano atm. But so does my big tank where I grabbed the rock from. I think of of my shrooms was knocked off and is decomposing somewhere I can't find it.... Alas. The nano-reef challenges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
32 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Let me know how that goes! With my light and pump mine is sitting at 80. But at night it drops to 74-76. So I think I will need a heater after all.

I wonder if @Clown79 is experiencing the same.  She also reports a steady 80°F, but I wonder if that includes night temperatures.

 

So far my controller is working perfectly (I'm using an old DA ReefKeeper 2).  I purchased two extra Bettastik heaters, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
GunslingerGirl
1 minute ago, seabass said:

I wonder if @Clown79 is experiencing the same.  She also reports a steady 80°F, but I wonder if that includes night temperatures.

 

So far my controller is working perfectly (I'm using an old DA ReefKeeper 2).  I purchased two extra Bettastik heaters, just in case.

Well potentially false alarm because I just had to put on a sweater. It was 67 in my apartment. No bueno for moi, the freeze baby.

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

At night, I keep the house in the 60's all winter long.  My unheated water is always much cooler than any of my tanks.  However, I did maintain an old contest tank without a heater.  And while it didn't crash, it didn't flourish either.  Then again, it never got anywhere near 80 °F either. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
GunslingerGirl
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

At night, I keep the house in the 60's all winter long.  My unheated water is always much cooler than any of my tanks.  However, I did maintain an old contest tank without a heater.  And while it didn't crash, it didn't flourish either.  Then again, it never got anywhere near 80 °F either. :unsure:

Ok never moving in with you lol

 

If it gets below 70 in my house... I am either wrapped up in a blanket or screaming for the heat to turn on. In the summer sometimes I used to sleep with my fleece tie blanket. Granted my feet stuck out. But yea. I like to be toasty. Have to have socks on at all times or my feet might fall off. But I also have circulation issues, so that contributes.

 

I am having great success with 2/4 of my macros, the chaeto and cactus caulerpa being stubborn. And the zoas seem happy. The inverts are currently hiding in the nice toasty rock. I don't blame them.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...